Got my Ford GT Recall Notice Today for Air Bag Replacement

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Got mine today, both sides. 2005, #592. Currently a California car. Not crazy about either of the two San Diego dealers I've had work on the car. Anyone know of a competent dealer in Orange or LA county? probably Galpin knows their way around the car, don't they?

I don't think it means that. It means the canister on the passenger side is not manufactured by Takata. The recall only affects Takata parts.

Then why did hooboyz get a notice to have both replaced?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Because some cars have Takata on both sides and some cars have Takata on one side and some cars don't have Takata at all.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Got mine today, both sides. 2005, #592. Currently a California car. Not crazy about either of the two San Diego dealers I've had work on the car. Anyone know of a competent dealer in Orange or LA county? probably Galpin knows their way around the car, don't they?

Because some cars have Takata on both sides and some cars have Takata on one side and some cars don't have Takata at all.

Do you know this as a fact? Or could the different part numbers be application sensitive - but always Takata?? Please illuminate - without conjecture.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ralphie -

In answer to your question, there are a couple of ways where an OE can separate an affected vehicle. 1) a given part in a Ford vehicle may be dual sourced - that is more than one supplier making the same part - one part is affected, the other suppliers part may not be. 2) The other occurs when a supplier manufactures a part, but a discovered defect is then isolated by virtue of lot control - e.g. within a given range of dates of manufacture. Lot control is a known as relates to date of manufacture, thus vin#'s.

My GT was built in 2004, and this car has neither recall.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Ralphie -

In answer to your question, there are a couple of ways where an OE can separate an affected vehicle. 1) a given part in a Ford vehicle may be dual sourced - that is more than one supplier making the same part - one part is affected, the other suppliers part may not be. 2) The other occurs when a supplier manufactures a part, but a discovered defect is then isolated by virtue of lot control - e.g. within a given range of dates of manufacture. Lot control is a known as relates to date of manufacture, thus vin#'s.

My GT was built in 2004, and this car has neither recall.

Thanks, Rex - My concern is that my car was assembled in the middle of the of the period (Sept, 2005), and yet have only received one notice for the driver's side. So, my question relates to the following:

1) If they are different part numbers, did Takata make bad parts for each part, and thus some people have recalls for both sides?

2) If they are the same part (and from Takata and another source), then during the assembly, if they are installed at the same time, how would you know which side got the questionable part without the Build Book.

3) If they are different parts (from Takata), then each side would have to be checked against the lot number of the car's VIN inventory.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
My short answer may not satisfy you, and I wouldn't fault that, especially where a safety item is concerned, but here goes.

We have to rely on Fords ILVS (in line vehicle sequencing) sustem used in the manufacturing process. This ILVS system and a related process are what is used to create a build sheet/traveler there is (usually) one (only) build sheet for each car. This is essentially the part DNA for a car. The data contained in it would tell an OE what part and corresponding engineering level/lot code are in a given car. The 'build book' from Saleen/Wixom does not contain all of the same level of detail that is found in ILVS. It is basically a station to station account with sign offs on certain values.

And if you think you're concerned, how would you feel if this process advised that both if your air bags are OK - this is where I'm at - Trust the process.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Rex, perhaps you should learn to respond like IndyGt with a lot of complicated technical engineer talk to hide what you are really saying. Remember, Ralphie is an engineer too.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So I think the only way you would truly know would be to call the Ford recall department and instead of asking "is my passenger side air bag being recalled" but to ask "what manufacturer is my passenger side air bag inflater canister made by and why isn't it being recalled". I don't know if they can dig that deep at the level of access they have. I suspect they only know "0 or 1"

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks, Rex - Like you, I'll trust them. Mine probably don't work anyway, as neither deployed in the accident at Rally 8.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Got mine yesterday, drivers side.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Thanks, Rex - Like you, I'll trust them. Mine probably don't work anyway, as neither deployed in the accident at Rally 8.

From what I remember of the damage, it was limited and low speed, would be unlikely to set off front airbags. The bright side - If they had deployed, you'd still be cleaning up that white particulate (baking soda) stuff, it gets everywhere.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Rex, perhaps you should learn to respond like IndyGt with a lot of complicated technical engineer talk to hide what you are really saying. Remember, Ralphie is an engineer too.

No, no, no. I am not licensed to fly at those altitudes. ;-))

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
If anyone has doubts about whether your vehicle is subject to the recall enter your VIN on this page:

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...e earliest built cars or the mid to late 06'?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
And of course it's not the sequence in the VIN that really is relevant here but the build date.
Obviously.
Plenty of cars have sequential VIN's but were built 2-4 months apart.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
My '05, VIN# 322 Ford owner site, Recall Notices - "Currently, there are no listed recalls for your vehicle."

Is my car considered "early"?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just checked an 05 in the 600's and no recall but a buddy's 05 , super late 05 has the drivers side recall.
I know different cars might have different iterations of "the part" but I thought this was an early thing.
Anyone else use the Ford site and see this same dichotomy?
Is it perhaps a mid 2005 (model year) thing that doesn't affect the earliest built cars or the mid to late 06'?

Mine is an early 06 (like the first week of jan) and only has drivers.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
My '05, VIN# 322 Ford owner site, Recall Notices - "Currently, there are no listed recalls for your vehicle."

Is my car considered "early"?

I now think that early or late may not be germane to the air bag issue but only time will tell.
That said,...is your car an early car?
I would say so.
Out of 4000+ cars built yours is within the first 200 built.
Not by VIN (necessarily) but by build date.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Out of 4000+ cars built yours is within the first 200 built.

Cool. Thanks. :thumbsup

wheelb

GT Owner
May 22, 2014
Miami Fl
I just check with ford i have no recalls 06 . man i wanted new steering wheel bag so i get my emblem fixed lol.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I just check with ford i have no recalls 06 . man i wanted new steering wheel bag so i get my emblem fixed lol.

They DON'T replace the emblem with the recall.