Got my Ford GT Recall Notice Today for Air Bag Replacement

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
What exactly should we be asking dealers as far as the tech is concerned? Aside from actually having worked on a GT before, do they typically have a special GT-specific certification?
All this apprehension and research just to replace an airbag actuator is probably complete and utter overkill, but I've never taken the car to a dealer for anything. I have no idea what they are and are not capable of doing.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Ed,
It is a simple process so all you really need is a tech who can read directions and is careful. Also don't let him out of your sight!!!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Bring your bags to Detroit for the rally...I know a place in the hood where they can do airbags in 18 seconds...and your insurance eventually pays for it.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed,
It is a simple process so all you really need is a tech who can read directions and is careful. Also don't let him out of your sight!!!

It's the 'careful' part that I'm worried about, Gary.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^Bring a scalpel and hold on to his Balzac. I think a Focus tech would be well qualified to do this job.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
It's the 'careful' part that I'm worried about, Gary.

You a big guy just intimidate him, he will pay attention

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
Got my notice, too 2006 Heritage, a CA car purchased new from Galpin.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Is the actual airbag replaced or just the actuator?
Thnx

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
mine showed up yesterday. Recall notice with no details of Driver, Pass or both....

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Thnx

Just the actuators.

Still would like to know what is involved with replacing the passenger side one. The drive side is a 10 minute cakewalk. The passenger side scares the bejeebers out of me letting a unknown tech disassemble the dash. The AC is back there too.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
mine showed up yesterday. Recall notice with no details of Driver, Pass or both....

The information is further down the page in the body of the text. The driver and passenger notices are separate recalls on separate notices.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Park Cities Ford did an great job getting my GT in and out in a little over a day. Only moved it a few feet in the shop while there (did take a pic of my odometer before leaving it there). Chris Vasquez helped me there, and babysat the car while it was in their shop. They installed 2 new airbags under warranty, did an oil change, replaced a bad battery and cleaned the frame connection. Installed 2 new struts on the rear hood. Found the problem with my left speaker. There was an open circuit to my upper speaker. All that for $1,600. That would not have touched a small bill on the 355 Spider I used to own.
Happy to get it all done, and back home safe and sound.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thnx

Just the actuator. That means if you have spots on the center of your steering wheel insert before you will have them after too :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Driver's side recall is 14B09. Some folks have said they got both in the same envelope. I was told by the service manager that what is on the recall web site is complete and if you only have driver's side, it will not add the passenger side later. Mine actually showed up on line in December and hasn't changed.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Driver's side recall is 14B09. Some folks have said they got both in the same envelope. I was told by the service manager that what is on the recall web site is complete and if you only have driver's side, it will not add the passenger side later. Mine actually showed up on line in December and hasn't changed.

I looked further to what you and JC stated and its for only the drivers side... Nice of FoMoCo to protect me as driver while passenger will be at risk.....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Does this mean that '05 and early '06 cars could have two different models of the explosive cannister? And that they know which model was installed in each location?

And Finally, would imply that the build books for each car still exist?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
According to the recall, the driver and passenger side inflators are different part numbers.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Just got my drivers side notice this week.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I looked further to what you and JC stated and its for only the drivers side... Nice of FoMoCo to protect me as driver while passenger will be at risk.....

I don't think it means that. It means the canister on the passenger side is not manufactured by Takata. The recall only affects Takata parts.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Does this mean that '05 and early '06 cars could have two different models of the explosive cannister? And that they know which model was installed in each location?

And Finally, would imply that the build books for each car still exist?

You betcha they know. Every safety component is tracked for who built it and when. These are not part of build books per se but as part of a huge production database.

By the way, it is this database that Kevin Marti now mines for his Marti Reports on newer production Fords.