Got my Ford GT Recall Notice Today for Air Bag Replacement

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Got my recall notice in the mail today for airbag replacement. Not too overjoyed about taking and/or leaving the car at the Dealer. Will have to wait until spring when she comes out of storage. Rather babysit it when they do it. Better yet, do it myself or have the GTG's do it. Thanks Takata.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
What is your GT's build date ? And isn't there a way for the Ford tech to do it under some "house call" program ?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I was in the same dilemma but I know a guy who worked at the dealer and told him I would not leave my car alone or allow anyone to drive it. He arraigned to have his best trim guy to do the job and this guy had never worked on a GT but assured me the guy was very careful and read the instructions and understood the procedure. I drove the car inside and watched the whole time. This is a very simple job involves removing 2 plastic disks on the steering column, taking out 2 bolts holding the air bag assembly, removing and replacing the actuator, and reverse procedure. It would be easy to do yourself but I doubt Ford would allow that for liability issues. The key here is being involved the whole time.

By the way everyone who worked there including the owner came by and checked out the car and were very excited to look it over up close.

I think they have a program to come to your house but would rather take my car in as long as I was involved.

Last edited:

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Build date is May 2005. Good suggestion - I will call our FCSD guys and see if I can babysit the car while they do it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Was your recall for both sides or driver's side only? The web check for my VIN says only driver's side.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Was your recall for both sides or driver's side only? The web check for my VIN says only driver's side.

2005 #1725 drivers side only. I think passenger side would be more involved

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I'm not sure if the dealer did it, but it's really important to disconnect the battery ground cable before proceeding with any air bag removal. I've installed or changed more than a few air bags and really would not relish getting a face full of air bag caused by an errant spark or power surge. Maybe I'm just over cautious, but better safe than sorry.

At Wixom, we installed the air bags long before battery hook up.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can't you just pull the fuse first?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I got my recall notices today. Plural. One each for driver and passenger. 2006 #366. Plan to visit the dealer Friday and discuss babysitting the car while they do the work.

How involved is the passenger side inflator?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I got my recall notices today. Plural. One each for driver and passenger. 2006 #366. Plan to visit the dealer Friday and discuss babysitting the car while they do the work.

How involved is the passenger side inflator?

Just got my notice for the driver's side only. Good to know there are actual separate notices for each side. Not too happy that I didn't get one for the passenger bag, though. Anyone know if it's possible to get just the parts from the dealer?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yep, got it today too. Funny thing is it came to our LV address and in my wife's name! She's never driven the car and is listed only on the registration (but not on the #1 line). They must have tracked me down from my last-day-of-December registration though.

I'll wait a few days for a second letter, but only have recall 14B09 for driver's side. It sounds like others are getting one side only too so not all are for both.

I got my letter today also. I had already spoken to my local Ford dealer about the fix, and they refuse to touch it, so I'm not sure what I will do. The nearest "reliable" dealer is 90 miles away in Portland. I'll probably wait until summer when the weather is reliably good and then drive there.

Cheers
David

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I got my notice to day too. It's just for the driver's side. I'm not in a rush to get it done. If anyone has high recommendations for Ford dealers in the DC area, please let me know.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I received my letter today. It is also just for the Drivers Side inflator.
Will wait until April at the earliest..
andy (ajb)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Checked the Ford site, put in my VIN (2006/#1853) and no recalls. I wonder what the cut-off VIN is for the later model cars that don't need replacement?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Checked the Ford site, put in my VIN (2006/#1853) and no recalls. I wonder what the cut-off VIN is for the later model cars that don't need replacement?

T.M. - read earlier it was Feb. 2006 and earlier GT's.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I got mine in the mail yesterday too. Maryland.

So it seems the territory has been expanded.

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Wow, I have an early build car (#340) but haven't received anything. I have owned the car going on two years now. Wonder it the previous owner did it?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Wow, I have an early build car (#340) but haven't received anything. I have owned the car going on two years now. Wonder it the previous owner did it?

Recall didn't exist 2 years ago.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Well I suppose my letter will come today or tomorrow. Last month I checked my 2005 #1769 on the Ford Recall site and came up empty. Not the case this morning. Will need to replace the Driver's side air bag.
Whoopie.

Last edited: