got my first chevy!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
The only reason I let go the ideato get one was It simply scared me in it almost claustrogobic small. Power/weight it's one of the best things out there but I'm afraid my balls aren't big enough to tame the beast.

ahh, I see, well you are right on all accounts, it is a bit intimidating but im hoping after some seat time and practice should feel a bit more comfortable, if not I can always sell it to ben :) he is crazy enough to drive anything, oh and yes you are right it is a bit "Friendly" in the cabin when you have a passenger.

That car held the Top Gear track records for quite awhile. I strongly considered one before I bought the GT. Then way you describe it sounds just like the GT40. A lot of power in a very light chassis, go cart feel, very quick and precise, and requires your FULL attention at speed. I don't mean this in a negative way but it makes the GT feel like a boat.

[video=youtube;qdAz2sbUm3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdAz2sbUm3E[/video]

yes, thats why I said you really cant compare it to the gt. I had seen that vid, to my knowledge I dont know if anything has beaten it on that track.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have to be honest it feels a bit on the edge especially in sustained high speed straight line, I think partly because the steering is so precise that the smallest amount of input moves the car dramatically,,, so your focus must be 150% when going fast in a straight line its partly that and partly the fact that you know its somehow less that a proper factory built car one that has not had a million engineers testing on it etc etc. but from the little seat time Ive had in it, Im impressed.

Think of what a "Black Falcon" 1750 h.p., TT427 GTR must be like! :eek:eek:eek

(That reminds me - where the devil are my Depends...)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Think of what a "Black Falcon" 1750 h.p., TT427 GTR must be like! :eek:eek:eek

(That reminds me - where the devil are my Depends...)

I honestly dont think anyone can use 1700hp in that car in any usefull way, it would make a really nice dyno queen, I plan to have about 8-900 eventually and even at that I think it is probably pushing the limit, what I like about the falcon car other than the build looks amazing is that you can turn the boost down all the way to 750hp, now thats cool to have a car that you can pretty much dial in any amount of hp you want from 700 to 1700.. we need that for the GT :) nelson racing does some amazing motors but their prices are very much reflected and lead time on their engines is 18 months, if you are guessing I was in contact with them, I was, for some time I was trying to get a project like the black falcon going but it never materialized,

850hp in that car is like 1400-1500 in a car that weighs 3400.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I honestly dont think anyone can use 1700hp in that car in any usefull way...

'Totally agree. 'Great for winning 'bench races' however!

It's the same ol' time-tested deal: At what point does a mill's h.p. exceed the car's chassis' ability to PLANT it on the pavement...not to mention 'hold together' in the process. So, until someone figures out a way to make tires out of Superglue and suspensions out of an as yet undiscovered 'unobtainium' alloy ..............

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is a red one that shows up at our local Cars and Coffee sometimes. It's really nicely made and I appreciate the simple powertrain.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I can drive it on the track with you if you like!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I can drive it on the track with you if you like!

that would be awesome! looking forward to it, maybe if we have enough room on the trailer Ill bring it to vegas

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
that would be awesome! Looking forward to it, maybe if we have enough room on the trailer ill bring it to vegas
ya baby!!!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
You can never have too much power to weight. :) Just need to always remember how much you have under the hood before you "squeeze" that pedal.

The rush I get from running insane amounts of power when you hit it and it just goes like a bat outta hell, is incomparable. I have a Kawasaki ZX14 with 200 RWHP and it's down to about 450 LBS. It makes my GT feel very slow - and I think about what it puts out before I twist that throttle. Some cars are made for gobs of TQ, others not so much. Mt GT runs close to 800 RWHP, my Z06 runs close to 900, but my Viper is running about 600 RW and it's more than I'd ever want in that car.

Personally, I could care less about bench racing and HP numbers. What it is for me (and I don't track my cars/ bikes anymore) is just the thrill of massive acceleration in the mid gears, or even just the ability to lay a huge long strip of rubber at speeds in higher gears at will. Top speed just doesn't do anything for me.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You can never have too much power to weight. :) Just need to always remember how much you have under the hood before you "squeeze" that pedal...The rush I get from running insane amounts of power when you hit it and it just goes like a bat outta hell, is incomparable...Personally, I could care less about bench racing and HP numbers. What it is for me...is just the thrill of massive acceleration in the mid gears...Top speed just doesn't do anything for me.

Couldn't agree more. The only thing I'd add would be to your following stmt: "Top speed just doesn't do anything for me"...it's just satisfying to know exactly what top speed is ON TAP when/if I want it.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
True, but in my case, I'll never see it -:)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I take it, then, you have the same 'spinal condition' as I? :lol

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Great purchase. Just happen to have one myself. It's a red one also with an LS7. Potentially the first one in the U.S. at least with the LS7 and so the owner/builder had to hand-construct the headers and other parts to get it all to fit it in there. Now ordering the car ready for the LS7 (rather than a small block) is an option.
It is an absolute hoot. And I look at it as a big go-kart which I used to race years back. Lower power to weight but a safer and more comfortable place to be.
One important tip. Not sure if you feel like taking the time to do this, but the weak point for these cars driven in most parts of the U.S. is that the ventilation system (particularly the AC system) is inadequate for warm weather areas. Some will laugh but there's a lot of glass and the windows don't open. The fellow who built mine (and raced it at Sebring for a while before retiring and selling) lived near Tampa, had tested out a few other cars and realized that the stock AC system wouldn't do. So he doubled up the condensers in the engine compartment, built a new plenum for the dash and it's perfect on 100 degree days.
But the car is just fantastic. Enjoy it and make sure the GT isn't too jealous. Be safe!
B

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Great purchase. Just happen to have one myself. It's a red one also with an LS7. Potentially the first one in the U.S. at least with the LS7 and so the owner/builder had to hand-construct the headers and other parts to get it all to fit it in there. Now ordering the car ready for the LS7 (rather than a small block) is an option.
It is an absolute hoot. And I look at it as a big go-kart which I used to race years back. Lower power to weight but a safer and more comfortable place to be.
One important tip. Not sure if you feel like taking the time to do this, but the weak point for these cars driven in most parts of the U.S. is that the ventilation system (particularly the AC system) is inadequate for warm weather areas. Some will laugh but there's a lot of glass and the windows don't open. The fellow who built mine (and raced it at Sebring for a while before retiring and selling) lived near Tampa, had tested out a few other cars and realized that the stock AC system wouldn't do. So he doubled up the condensers in the engine compartment, built a new plenum for the dash and it's perfect on 100 degree days.
But the car is just fantastic. Enjoy it and make sure the GT isn't too jealous. Be safe!
B

thanks

and yes I think I remember talking about your car at the austin rally, and no kidding about the ac system, so funny you mentioning doubling up on the condenser that was my thought exactly, but I didnt think about changing the plenum under the dash, it seems its moving plenty of air, it just gets hot after driving it a while. but ya its a fun car to drive my first track day is tomorrow, but im going to take it easy and get a feel for the car and we have some testing to do..

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
You guys with this Ultima. When racing it you never encountered that chassis parts broke off??? Or did you all re-enforce the triangles etc.

For some time I'm looking for a track beast but should be road legal as well for the Nordschleife. Was considering the Radical XSC but it's only a V6 with 380hp.