GM puts ZR1 on hold until further notice.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Just out of curiousity, I 'putted' over & looked at the one on the floor here locally. It's (ugh!) RED!!!:rofl:rofl:rofl

'Window sticker (w/o the ubiquitous $1,495 "adjusted market value" 2nd sticker) is $82 something. The employee promotion sticker is $70,888.

Now...they COULD dealer trade this'n fer a YELLER one...and, DANG!, I am sorely tempted! :willy However, unlike the FGT, the ZO6 WILL depreciate. So, that sorta keeps me 'grounded' a bit.

Still..........................:bang

And, you're sayin' that these things can & DO go for under that, Sam?:eek

It may perform, but that new body style has never moved me...interior or exterior.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It may perform, but that new body style has never moved me...interior or exterior.

Ditto. My interest in 'em has ONLY been from the performance side from day one.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Ditto. My interest in 'em has ONLY been from the performance side from day one.

No one is questioning your taste...you did have a GT. :biggrin

I guess if I was getting one just to play around with I would just get a 2006 for less than 50K, hammer on it a bit and let her go. Go deep discount. I must have missed out on the buying cars new gene. I enjoy cars but I have always looked for a good deal on a car 2-3 years old with low miles to ease the pain of depreciation.

Obviously this theory of mine did not work with purchasing my GT :bang, but on a whole it is what has kept me sane over car price depreciation over the years.

H

HHGT

Just out of curiousity, I 'putted' over & looked at the one on the floor here locally. It's (ugh!) RED!!!:rofl:rofl:rofl

'Window sticker (w/o the ubiquitous $1,495 "adjusted market value" 2nd sticker) is $82 something. The employee promotion sticker is $70,888.

Now...they COULD dealer trade this'n fer a YELLER one...and, DANG!, I am sorely tempted! :willy However, unlike the FGT, the ZO6 WILL depreciate. So, that sorta keeps me 'grounded' a bit.

Still..........................:bang

And, you're sayin' that these things can & DO go for under that, Sam?:eek

I know of a used 2006 at $45K and a used $2007 at $54K - both Z06s. Their prices are tanking and so are the lambos. If I was to get a Z06 for a track car it would be a C5. You can get some low mile ones for $20K and it would be a heck of a deal.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
No one is questioning your taste...you did have a GT. :biggrin

I guess if I was getting one just to play around with I would just get a 2006 for less than 50K, hammer on it a bit and let her go. Go deep discount. I must have missed out on the buying cars new gene. I enjoy cars but I have always looked for a good deal on a car 2-3 years old with low miles to ease the pain of depreciation.

Obviously this theory of mine did not work with purchasing my GT :bang, but on a whole it is what has kept me sane over car price depreciation over the years.

skyrex, I'm with you 1,000%! :agree:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I read on another forum that the first regular production ZR1 was delivered yesterday (Sep 1st) to Jay Leno.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I read on another forum that the first regular production ZR1 was delivered yesterday (Sep 1st) to Jay Leno.

A buddy of mine had one at the Woodward Cruise 8/16, and we saw 2 others that day without dealer tags as well.

You really have to know what to look for in order to tell the difference between the ZR1 and the Z06.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
A buddy of mine had one at the Woodward Cruise 8/16, and we saw 2 others that day without dealer tags as well.

You really have to know what to look for in order to tell the difference between the ZR1 and the Z06.

The goldfishbowl in the hood is kindof a giveaway.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
The goldfishbowl in the hood is kindof a giveaway.

Yeah..and there really isn't much to see there either. Kinda reminds me of the first Walter Hagan woods that had the clear acrylic over their logo on the club face. Cute..but what's the benefit?

It's the 20ft + view I was referring to. The CF roof isn't that remarkable, so you really have to focus on the fender cove cut-outs behind the front wheels. I never understood why Chevy didn't make their upmarket Vette's more distinctive from the 'every day' Vette....but that has been their way for many years. Not that a Z06 is an everyday Vette.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Said B4, and 'will say again...if a guy's 'gunna' pay over 6 figures for any car - it better LOOK LIKE it cost over 6 figures. The ZR1 'duzzunt'. It just looks like a std C6 with a few add ons - if one knows where to look (as has been mentioned before).

'NICE CAR and all that. 'GREAT car in fact. 'Pbly every bit the equal of a stock FGT in almost all measureable areas. But, it doesn't LOOK the part. It just doesn't grab ya on a visceral level like, for example, the FGT does. And when one is plunking down supercar 'munny' - THAT factor definately has to be there in large chunks. The ZR1 doesn't have it IMO.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The other problem I have with the ZR1 is Hot Rod magazines claim that it has the most powerful production motor ever at 638. Ford claims 550 in the GT, but Muscle Mustangs pulled one directly from a crate and it dynoed 645. It would be a killer article to compare the motors on the same dyno.

Then begin applying mods with a $ budget for each mod for both motors.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've been seeing them everywhere in the past month. I had a glimmer of hope it would look better in person than it does in pictures. No such luck. There were 3 or 4 at the race this weekend and honestly when I look at it, my thought is "Yup, it's a Corvette". They are even less noticeable driving down the road.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I've been seeing them everywhere in the past month. I had a glimmer of hope it would look better in person than it does in pictures. No such luck. There were 3 or 4 at the race this weekend and honestly when I look at it, my thought is "Yup, it's a Corvette". They are even less noticeable driving down the road.
It looks like a Z06 with a Glass hood insert and a a chin spoiler. I can't justify the huge ADM's this car has been bringing.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
It looks like a Z06 with a Glass hood insert and a a chin spoiler. I can't justify the huge ADM's this car has been bringing.

We have to come up with a proper name for ADM. The d has to stand for dummy. I heard that this car is going for 3-4 times sticker. No stinknkin way.

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
Bruce58-1.jpg

I heard that this car is going for 3-4 times sticker.
I have a racer friend that has a deposit on one. It is MSRP (~$105K) plus $10K. He also owns a Ron Fellows Z06 (2008?).

Another friend on mine called me lately. He was helping a lady (a widow) sell a "special edition" Corvette. Since GM makes another "special edition" every year, I tried to explain that Corvettes are not rare.

I remember when they actually sold a 1996 Corvette "Collector Edition Coupe" (and convertible). The made 4000+ of them, and they are still depreciating.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Uhhhhh....beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I am not trying to offend anyone who owns a ZR1....but

The one pictured above is the first one that I have seen and it is a bit underwhelming. If I was a Corvette guy I would just buy the hood with the pretty glass window, get the ZR1 badges and slap all of that on my Z06 and let 99.9% of the populace think I had just laid out 6 figures for my car.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I wouldn't try to fool anyone, but just get a Z06 great bang for the buck without the AMV. Since the Z06 is not top dog you should be able to get one for well under MSRP without any problems.

If you want to "fool" someone get a rice-burner and put big pipes on it.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I wouldn't try to fool anyone, but just get a Z06 great bang for the buck without the AMV. Since the Z06 is not top dog you should be able to get one for well under MSRP without any problems.

If you want to "fool" someone get a rice-burner and put big pipes on it.

Gotcha :wink....just joking about "modding' a Z06 Ice. :biggrin

Not arguing with the fact that the Z06 is tremendous bang for the buck...just poking a little fun at a six figure car that besides the glass hood is not visually that different from a Z06 that you can get used for well less than half of that price. I agree with some of the earlier posters in this thread, if you pay the freight you want the car to be stunning. For example an ACR looks so much better than a regular Viper. You can see the difference.

I doubt you have Z06 owners going out to stare at their car in the garage as several of us GT owners have admitted to in the past because she is so damn sexy. :lol

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Uhhhhh....beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I am not trying to offend anyone who owns a ZR1....but

The one pictured above is the first one that I have seen and it is a bit underwhelming. If I was a Corvette guy I would just buy the hood with the pretty glass window, get the ZR1 badges and slap all of that on my Z06 and let 99.9% of the populace think I had just laid out 6 figures for my car.

I think if you are trying to impress people with exotic looks the ZR1 isn't the car to do it, but if you want to impress yourself with a lot of grins and some unreal performance I would be willing to bet it will do that for you!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I guess to further elaborate I would say this. I had an '02 C5 that I enjoyed (and even slapped a procharger on it) and sold to get an '04 Viper. I thought the Viper was just better looking. Had fun with the Viper and moved on. Never considered that I would want to buy a Corvette or Viper again. Fun cars mind you, just been there done that.

But seeing the new ACR has made me consider getting a Viper again. That black single stripe (that is an aggressive looking machine) that a couple of the Forum members have and that gorgeous Violet one that BJ posted has changed my mind. Viper made enough changes to make that car interesting to me again.....and it visually kicks a regular Viper in the rear end.

Personally I still like the C-5 body style better than the C-6 and nothing they have done since has changed my mind. Just my own personal opinion.

That said life is short, people should be happy and buy whatever tickles their fancy regardless of what anyone else thinks. That's what I do.....and I am very happy :biggrin.