Getting a new toy to play with

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I bought a Ferrari 308 to do some mods on. This is the perfect foundation for doing some interesting mods, because it doesn't have an emission test to go through. I will put up some pic's once I get it arrives and give a full description of what I'm going to do.

John

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! Will Tom Selleck be involved in some capacity?:biggrin Or better yet - wunna the babes from Magnum P.I???

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Aaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! Will Tom Selleck be involved in some capacity?:biggrin Or better yet - wunna the babes from Magnum P.I???

SIR EP, just remember those "babes" are all now 20-30 years older than when P.I. was on the air. Just like you, they are much older now.:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
SIR EP, just remember those "babes" are all now 20-30 years older than when P.I. was on the air. Just like you, they are much older now.:thumbsup

Errrrrrrr...uuuuuuuuh...ya...uuuuuh...I guess I kinda overlooked that in all muh 'citement.

Well, their DAUGHTERS then!!!!!!:agree::agree::agree:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There is a guy on Ferrari chat that is putting a heavily modified 400i v12 engine into his 308. It has to be the longest thread on the board.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170171

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
There is a guy on Ferrari chat that is putting a heavily modified 400i v12 engine into his 308. It has to be the longest thread on the board.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170171

Yep, I've been keeping up with it. Very impressive. I think I'm sticking with the V8, but heavily modified.

John

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
cough...LSXswap...cough....:wink

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
cough...LSXswap...cough....:wink

Nope, I have already ordered an TecGT system from Electromotive. In the next few months the engine will be coming out. I am increasing the compression, port and polish heads, increase valve size, increase bore size (3.5 liter), and numerous other mods. I'm taking the transaxle apart and rebuilding. I'm armed and starting to order parts. The body will be going to the paint shop for a new coat. The neat part is this was a Euro car so no, nothing, zero, zilch, nada pollution stuff. All they do here is walk around it and say nice car here's your inspection sticker. I will take some pictures along the way for anyone interested. :banana

John

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Definitely looking forward to pics. Still wanna check out your TR when you have time!

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
There's a guy in I believe Texas selling a Ford GT powertrain out of one of those funny Red GTs. That would make a very interesting F308.....

Richard Hille
The GT School

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There's a guy in I believe Texas selling a Ford GT powertrain out of one of those funny Red GTs. That would make a very interesting F308.....

Richard Hille
The GT School

I don't think it will fit. Not even close and if it did the transmission wouldn't last long.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Definitely looking forward to pics. Still wanna check out your TR when you have time!

Bounce me an email, your welcome to come by any time.

John

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I don't think it will fit. Not even close and if it did the transmission wouldn't last long.

ya but a 2jz will:biggrin and will be relatively reliable to about 700hp

Aug 25, 2006
It sounds like it will be a nice project

All the best

Shadowman

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
It sounds like it will be a nice project

All the best

Shadowman

Thanks Shadowman. I think stuffing something bigger in the 308 is missing the point. I want to wring everything out of the original and keep it reliable. I think it has big opportunities that can be explored. I'm excited about doing it. I will post pics. :thumbsup

John

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
A friend of mine has a 308 that was a "no expense spared" 288 conversion when it was built. It makes 30 more hp than a F40 LM... and really is an amazing machine.

wild_288_1.jpg

wild_288_2.jpg

wild_288_3.jpg

wild_288_4.jpg

wild_288_5.jpg

If you want, I can put you in contact with the builder of this machine to throw out some ideas ;)

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
A friend of mine has a 308 that was a "no expense spared" 288 conversion when it was built. It makes 30 more hp than a F40 LM... and really is an amazing machine.

If you want, I can put you in contact with the builder of this machine to throw out some ideas ;)

I do like these. A few years ago I almost bought one that a guy made and dumped a ton of money in. I could have bought it for $72k and considering the amount of money sunk into it that would have been a bargain. I just don't like copying a known model and then badging it like the original. I prefer to do something that is at best original for me.

John

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
I do like these. A few years ago I almost bought one that a guy made and dumped a ton of money in. I could have bought it for $72k and considering the amount of money sunk into it that would have been a bargain. I just don't like copying a known model and then badging it like the original. I prefer to do something that is at best original for me.

John

The owner of this car spent quite a bit of time negotiating a fair price. Obviously far less than what it cost. If I remember right, there were receipts for 6 figures more than a 288 actual MSRP was. The man who commissioned it was later discovered to be a scam artist with money to burn.

The way my friend looks at it is it's a serious track oriented car that is tremendous fun to drive. Only his 930 "yellow what?" is a crazier ride in some respects. (traps the 1/4 with street tires, and low boost @ 144 mph)... and it's not built for the 1/4 at all.

And yeah, a lot of people dislike one car in another's clothing so to speak. This car doesn't pretend to be an original, but obviously different strokes for different folks ;)
-Isaac

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Like I said I like it, but a track car is not what I'm doing. I want to improve on whats already there.

John

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Like I said I like it, but a track car is not what I'm doing. I want to improve on whats already there.

John

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to harp on you one way or another. I'm looking forward to reading on the direction you take :)