Gauge Replacement - How to

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Timing is everything! I am doing my gauges this weekend so thank you so much.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
The tach on my 2005 GT quit about a month ago. I figure that 11 years and 30k trouble free miles that something would fail. Once the tach finally showed up my Ford master tech had trouble getting the cluster out using the Ford tech link. Thanks Kendall for this post. One problem, though, the new tach doesn't work either. I know there have been "MANY" instrument problems. Have any had new replacements not work, too?

-GWB

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
i replaced my tach last winter, after i put the new tach in it did not work as well. The dealer called ford, before removing the replacement tach , they had to "reboot" the system using a laptop through the access port under the steering column.No problems since.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Gene-
Thanks! On the case tomorrow morning. Stand by.
-Gary

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
GC-
New tach a-ok now. Thanks for the tip!
-GWB

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Interesting. I replaced tach and speedo at Carlisle (GT guys) a year ago last June and it worked immediately.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Glad it worked out! Not sure why the tach had to be reset on some cases! While I had the tech, I had him retry with the old tach but still did not work!

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Unfortunately I am electrically challenged. After the instrument panel was out I noticed that the speedometer needle is now at 60. The tachometer is a touch off zero. The rest of the gauges are fine. The booster is being replaced. The ground battery cable was removed before starting the job. The panel took some gentle jostling to get it out. Are the speedometer and tachometer OK?

Attachments

• IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You probably jounced the needles off zero with your manipulations. As long as the gauges re-zero when you plug it back in and start the car, they are okay. You don’t have to completely reinstall the panel, just plug in the connectors, turn on the ignition, wait a few seconds for the gauges to zero and the odometer to come on, then start the car.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I replaced all my small gauges at one time with updated auto meter gauges, no problem with start up. I replaced tach different time with stock Ford version. On startup was not reading correctly. Asked the dealer I purchased through, who contacted Ford, had to “ reboot” it with laptop, no probes since!

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
You probably jounced the needles off zero with your manipulations. As long as the gauges re-zero when you plug it back in and start the car, they are okay. You don’t have to completely reinstall the panel, just plug in the connectors, turn on the ignition, wait a few seconds for the gauges to zero and the odometer to come on, then start the car.
Thanks!

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I replaced all my small gauges at one time with updated auto meter gauges, no problem with start up. I replaced tach different time with stock Ford version. On startup was not reading correctly. Asked the dealer I purchased through, who contacted Ford, had to “ reboot” it with laptop, no probes since!
I hope I don’t need to do this but valuable information. Thanks!

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
My panel was almost impossible to remove. The blue tool was especially helpful as once the panel was loose. Then I could then get the right angle tool behind the panel and move it out. My 2 cents worth. Thanks to Kendall and Shadowman and everyone's comments or I doubt I could have done the job.

Attachments

• IMG_4475.JPG
    IMG_4475.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I bought a new OEM tach as a backup. Is there a way to test without having to hooking it up to the car?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Probably not. Did you check the shop manual for test procedures?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Probably not. Did you check the shop manual for test procedures?

I did not. But I will.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
The zip ties on the two left gauges are very loose. Real loose. As this is the first time the panel has been out is this correct or did someone forget to tighten them? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4713.jpg
    IMG_4713.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Didn't tighten and didn't cut their tails....

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Didn't tighten and didn't cut their tails....
So leave them loose? Sorry but just want to get this correct. Paul