Gas is slowly killing muscle cars

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
There was an ad in the local paper today. New C6 Corvette $8,000 off msrp. A friend told me they were fire selling ac cobras and Hemi cudas 73-74. Here it goes again.

I know most of us can afford the gas, but to profitably produce most high performance cars there needs to be thousands of willing buyers.

My next daily driver is probably going to be the chevy volt. I have never owned a chevy. This sucks.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
how about a hybrid 550 beck Spyder? Have a tech that is doing one for himself.... I think it sounds kind of cool. Mechanicals out of a wrecked Prius .. the rest is a roller kit.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
I remember those days in the early 70's - parked my '71 BOSS 351 at my parent's place in Ohio, & just left it sit. Picked up an old Mustang fastback with a fresh 289 HiPo in it to drive to work. Even had a tough time finding "Premium" or "Leaded" fuel there for awhile. The dark ages of automotive history in my lifetime ("crash bumpers", Catalytic converters, "55MPH Speed Limit", "Seatbelt-Starter Interlock" - save me!).

Who ever thought back then that thirty years later we'd be treated to something like the Ford GT? Technology is a wonderfull thing.

regards,

Jeff

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Jeff,

What are you standing next to in your avatar?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There was an ad in the local paper today. New C6 Corvette $8,000 off msrp. A friend told me they were fire selling ac cobras and Hemi cudas 73-74. Here it goes again.

I know most of us can afford the gas, but to profitably produce most high performance cars there needs to be thousands of willing buyers.

My next daily driver is probably going to be the chevy volt. I have never owned a chevy. This sucks.

What about the Tesla rdstr? 'Doesn't appear to have a boatload of storage space for a "daily driver", but, it sure pegs the 'kool meter'!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
What about the Tesla rdstr? 'Doesn't appear to have a boatload of storage space for a "daily driver", but, it sure pegs the 'kool meter'!

...Iron Man has one. :biggrin

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Steve -

That's just one of those "old" Ford GT's - GT40 P/1054 :rofl

I attended the Ford 100th Anniversary Centennial Celebration with three of my cars. Managed to get myself and a few friends with original GT40's and Cobras inside tent parking. It was a great show - and, the official debut of the first three "new" Ford GT's.
A fabulous time was had by all. Edsel Ford spent quite a bit of time around our display drooling over the GT and a really sweet burgandy 289 Cobra.

regards,

Jeff

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
Come on guys you got it good in the states. Try being in London. Gas right now is $2.40 a liter. It costs me $180.00 to fill my Range Rover sport when I'm here, around town I get around 200 miles from a tank of gas. Sports cars are still selling though. The biggest issue here now is the yearly car tax has just risen to $800.00 a year for anything midsize or over (based on CO). That’s the tax that’s like buying you license plate sticker. In 2010 its set to rise to $2000.00. :ack

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
...now that's a nice avatar!

Jeff

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I'm for the Smartsumi on NITRO!!!!!! :banana It would be like the old days blowing off 327 vets with a 61 corvair monza......Just had a 120 D cam and 6 carbs + tube headders tucked out of sight. Think mini-muscle. :rofl

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The biggest issue here now is the yearly car tax has just risen to $800.00 a year for anything midsize or over (based on CO). That’s the tax that’s like buying you license plate sticker. :ack

We are paying that in KAL-FOOL-NIa now:thumbsdow:bs:ack:bs:thumbsdow

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Come on guys you got it good in the states. Try being in London. Gas right now is $2.40 a liter. It costs me $180.00 to fill my Range Rover sport when I'm here, around town I get around 200 miles from a tank of gas. Sports cars are still selling though. The biggest issue here now is the yearly car tax has just risen to $800.00 a year for anything midsize or over (based on CO). That’s the tax that’s like buying you license plate sticker. In 2010 its set to rise to $2000.00. :ack

We use to have that kind of legalized larceny here in Washinton State. People finally got "ticked" enough to pass an inititive limiting that fee to $33.00!!! (This after YEARS AND YEARS of screaming at Olympia [state capitol for you foreigners!] to address this outrage w/o results.)

Since then, surprise, surprise, the state has seen fit to INVENT new "fees" of various kinds (to try to recover SOME of the tax $$$$ lost). So now we all pay around $45.00. 'More if one has a vanity plate (I think that makes the total around $75.00).

Interestingly enough, the state supreme court found this inititive "unCONSTIPATIONal" (some goofy excuse about "limiting the legislature's authority to TAX!:bored), but, the politicians quickly passed a measure reinstating it for the most part as they KNEW there'd be a revolt in the streets if they didn't.

SOMETIMES democracy works...

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
...now that's a nice avatar!

Jeff

+1

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The end of muscle cars will happen when the owners of gas guzzlers get harassed and their cars vandalized. It is already starting in CA to a small extent. Just like what happened to the fur industry and PETA.

Someday we will have to hide our cars inside our garages under lock and key. Only bringing them outside only with a proper permit. Otherwise you will get you cited for brandishing a gas guzzler!

Maybe a new organization called CA-WEC,

Citizens Against Wasteful Energy Consumption

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Americans appreciate automobiles, they are our national treasure.
I am starting:-
Citizens Understand National Treasures
Lifetime membership :- 1 cent

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
At least gas is available this time around.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Just sent my cent via paypal. Can wait for the annual meeting.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
At least gas is available this time around.

Gas will always be available as long as the government keeps their hands off and let the free market operate. If Obama, or Hillary gets their way, our US oil companies will go belly up, or be sold off to a foreign company and we will be waiting in lines again begging Hugo Chavez to sell us some gas! Maybe Obama and Secretary of State Wright could talk to Chavez and get us a better deal.

As Chip said, only two ways to sell a limited resource, pricing, or rationing.

Last edited:

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
We are paying that in KAL-FOOL-NIa now:thumbsdow:bs:ack:bs:thumbsdow

So its not all Champaign and skittles in the US then :frown
Having said that did I forget to mention our wonderful mayor of London’s congestion charge?? To drive into our once great nations capital during a work day at the moment incurs an EXTRA charge of $10 a day. This is due to rise to $50 a day shortly.....:thumbsdow

We use to have that kind of legalized larceny here in Washinton State. People finally got "ticked" enough to pass an inititive limiting that fee to $33.00!!! (This after YEARS AND YEARS of screaming at Olympia [state capitol for you foreigners!] to address this outrage w/o results.)

Since then, surprise, surprise, the state has seen fit to INVENT new "fees" of various kinds (to try to recover SOME of the tax $$$$ lost). So now we all pay around $45.00. 'More if one has a vanity plate (I think that makes the total around $75.00).

Interestingly enough, the state supreme court found this inititive "unCONSTIPATIONal" (some goofy excuse about "limiting the legislature's authority to TAX!:bored), but, the politicians quickly passed a measure reinstating it for the most part as they KNEW there'd be a revolt in the streets if they didn't.

SOMETIMES democracy works...

I'm sad to report it never seems to work in the UK.....

Does that mean we get to wear T-shits and hats with our groups name on? That would be quite fitting as I felt I should be wearing said hat and shirt today when I pumped the Rangy with a tank full of BP’s finest and the government added some 70% to the price which included duty and VAT. Something stinks in the UK right now. And his name is Gordon Brown.

God bless America

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

I don't think so. Most who lust after and buy these cars either don't care about gas prices or use them so infrequently as second or third cars they don't ever think about the mileage. However, CAFE will take its toll on performance cars no doubt, particularly on volume cars like the Mustang and Corvette.