Gas is slowly killing muscle cars

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Prices going down?

That may be good news for some while still on the hunt. Anyone have a solid black GT they want to dump?? :biggrin If so PLEASE call me!!!! :banana

and I think we need a bigger version of closeshave's avatar!!!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Prices going down?

That may be good news for some while still on the hunt. Anyone have a solid black GT they want to dump?? :biggrin If so PLEASE call me!!!! :banana

and I think we need a bigger version of closeshave's avatar!!!

You don't want a slow black car. You should get that out of your head right now. :wink

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I tell my friends I'm actually saving gas with my GT.

As I only put some 3000 miles a year on it (that's maybe 200 gallons at 15mpg) - I use less gas than those with a Prius putting 12,000 miles a year (240 gallons at 50 mpg). I figure that makes me an enviromentalist. At least that's my rationalization.

I for one will be waiting for gas prices to go up and supercar prices to go down. Good time to buy. Hmmm..... what's next?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Once when I was getting fuel one of the local college lesbians (berkenstocks, grunge look with rainbow sticker in rear window..probably liberal democrat) gave me a dirty look as she pumped gas into her Honda. Walking past she muttered that I drove a gas hog. So, I asked her what she got out of her Honda CRV. I said hey 26mpg is great! ... I get 25-27 mpg out of this on the highway. (when I keep my foot out of it) :biggrin

I take pride in knowing a straight republican man driving a hot car ruined her day. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As I only put some 3000 miles a year on it (that's maybe 200 gallons at 15mpg) - I use less gas than those with a Prius putting 12,000 miles a year (240 gallons at 50 mpg). I figure that makes me an enviromentalist. At least that's my rationalization.

'Not a rationalization - it's fact. Well, the MPG part is anyway.:wink

That's ONE reason I get so steamed over the "gas guzzler" tax - especially when it's applied to exotic cars and the like. "Exotics" in general burn far less fuel annually than any other car on the planet for the reason you stated. Yet their owners are "penalized" for choosing to buy one.

(But, everyone knows conservation never WAS the real purpose for the tax in the first place. It's purpose from the get-go was simply to provide gov't with yet another reason[?] to take money out of OUR pockets and put it in their's - and give the appearance of having a 'noble cause' in the process. 'No big mystery.)

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
the price of gas is most annoying when filling the econo-box. The GT is one of the few cars so much fun to drive that the price is worth it. When I fill the jeep I grumble, when I fill the GT it's "oh boy i'm going for a drive!"

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
'Not a rationalization - it's fact. Well, the MPG part is anyway.:wink

That's ONE reason I get so steamed over the "gas guzzler" tax - especially when it's applied to exotic cars and the like. "Exotics" in general burn far less fuel annually than any other car on the planet for the reason you stated. Yet their owners are "penalized" for choosing to buy one.

(But, everyone knows conservation never WAS the real purpose for the tax in the first place. It's purpose from the get-go was simply to provide gov't with yet another reason[?] to take money out of OUR pockets and put it in their's - and give the appearance of having a 'noble cause' in the process. 'No big mystery.)

Eat the Rich!

Aerosmith

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
here is an option instead of the tesla... http://www.aptera.com/details.php

Neil is working for this company now ... nice to see a GT guy working as VP.

Should be interesting what they do next.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That thing is kinda intriguing in an odd sorta way.

It's kinda kool actually.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I don't think so. Most who lust after and buy these cars either don't care about gas prices or use them so infrequently as second or third cars they don't ever think about the mileage. However, CAFE will take its toll on performance cars no doubt, particularly on volume cars like the Mustang and Corvette.

I said my daily driver will be the volt. The GT is not going anywhere. I'll burn fossil fuels on the weekend.

I dont want to pay for interest on borrowed money, insurance, rent, or fuel. Once you write the check there is nothing to show for it.

I may have to pull an Ed Begley and sink my dollars into solar or wind to pay to charge the car and power the house. People talking about $200 oil has pushed me over the edge.

There must be something going on with demand to cause a dealer to mark down a C6 $8,000. It is Covert Chevrolet in Bastrop, TX in case anyone wants to do fact checking.

I despise doomsdayers, but it is time to buy your new muscle. I give it maybe two more years until the party is over. Then back to 73-74 again. Next musclecar era in 2030, or sooner as we get accustomed to Tesla like muscle.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

here is an option instead of the tesla... http://www.aptera.com/details.php

Neil is working for this company now ... nice to see a GT guy working as VP.

Should be interesting what they do next.

Yeahhhh No Door Dings!!!!!!!