Gas Cap gasket liner

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
While Stu and I were visiting at the Scarsdale Concours last month, a fellow GT owner checked both of our cars (before Stu got his second GT) and informed us that we were both missing the rubber "seal" that keeps out moisture from getting into the gas tank (not that many drive them in the rain). I went to the local Ford dealer and they checked the parts list and did order it for me ($24), I'm due to pick it up either today or tomorrow. How many of you out there are also missing this little rubber part? When I pick it up, I'll post the part #

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I picture would be great, when you get it.

John

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Many GT owners do drive their GT's in the rain. Some more than others.:biggrin

Odd that this part was missing on some cars.

What is the part number?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
According to the fellow at the show the gasket is under the filler cap, not the fender and he told us it is simple install. His Ford dealer knew exactly what he was talking about thougqh I am still unsure.

Stu

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
According to the fellow at the show the gasket is under the filler cap, not the fender and he told us it is simple install. His Ford dealer knew exactly what he was talking about thougqh I am still unsure.

Stu
The part # referenced above is what the Ford dealer put in for, said quite to his surprise, there were 150 of them in the system, I'll see about the install tomorow!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
just want to confirm this gasket does NOT go on top of this area (where the clear bra looking stuff is).

Attachments

• gascap.jpg
    gascap.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 274
Aug 25, 2006
just want to confirm this gasket does NOT go on top of this area (where the clear bra looking stuff is).

There is no visible gasket to be installed; nothing appears to be missing.

The plastic is there only to protect from scratching etc.

Takes care

Shadowman

zgt

Sep 19, 2009
when ever I fill the tank, I can smell gas in the car for the rest of that day. can someone help with this?

Aug 25, 2006
when ever I fill the tank, I can smell gas in the car for the rest of that day. can someone help with this?

The system is sealed as such there should be "no" fuel smell.

Do you have a check engine light glowing on the dash?

In any case I would have the system tested for an evap leak

All the best

Shadowman

zgt

Sep 19, 2009
No check engine light, just the strong oder of fuel, i'll take it in for service.
Thanks!

Aug 25, 2006
You are welcome

Now please share the results of the service visit

Thank you

Shadowman

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
There is NO rubber gasket under the gas lid. I have personally seen 300+ Ford GTs. Not sure what these guys are talking about...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Re: fuel odors

You have to fill up carefully. This is not a system to top-up with many clicks. Filler neck is shallow, short, with bend.

See what your guage says (eg, E/light on, need 15-16 gals ) then fill up with nozzle with trigger @ full flow, watch pump meter, till you get to last 1 gal.

Do trigger @ half flow, till you hear first click.

STOP

if you keep filling up at full flow, with multiple clicks, you will overflow with immediate backwash up filler neck, that will drain in run-off tube and vapors get picked up by vents.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
that will drain in run-off tube
And could (I'm serious now) leak onto your shoes.... which could get it into the cabin. Just a thought.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Recently, when Rich and Denis had my inner fender liner off, they re-routed the drain tube slightly, as it had been terminating at the top of a wire loom. I noticed that fuel overflow had been hitting there and soaking the loom, causing fuel vapors to linger for awhile. Now the end of the drain tube is away from that area and the vapors quickly go away if I happen to overfill the tank, causing an overflow.

Aug 25, 2006
Recently, when Rich and Denis had my inner fender liner off, they re-routed the drain tube slightly, as it had been terminating at the top of a wire loom. I noticed that fuel overflow had been hitting there and soaking the loom, causing fuel vapors to linger for awhile. Now the end of the drain tube is away from that area and the vapors quickly go away if I happen to overfill the tank, causing an overflow.

RALPHIE this was a great suggestion as tended to by The GT Guys as the drain line does not protrude below the belly pan but rather are typically as shared; at or near the wiring harness which will act as a sponge

All the best

Shadowman

zgt

Sep 19, 2009
Thanks for the information, I’ll keep it in mind when I put fuel in next time, I’ll put in a few gallons and see what happens. If the gas odder persists, she goes in for service and I’ll share the results.

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for the information, I’ll keep it in mind when I put fuel in next time, I’ll put in a few gallons and see what happens. If the gas odder persists, she goes in for service and I’ll share the results.

Your shared experience/update will be appreciated by all

Takes care

Shadowman

TM328

GT Owner
Oct 21, 2009
New England
I had same fuel smell for 15 minutes with a multi click fill up. Just filled up today with 1 click and absolutely no smell.