Garage 4 Post Car Lifts

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I am looking for a lift which will be flush with the floor (no ramps to drive on)... lift the car up and then be able to store another car underneath... (understand there must be something to take up the gap off the ramps once lift is up)...

might need to engineer something but wondered if there was something out there somewhere...

I guess you could always recess the lift to exclude the ramps... I would be uncomfortable with the lifts that have moveable arms to place on the frame rails... but thats just me....

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video...no demos his new MaxJax on jaylenosgarage.com

This is a pretty cool thing that Garage equipment . com just sent me... It's a link to jays garage and a new portable lift
Check it out

www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/clips/...no demos his new MaxJax on jaylenosgarage.com

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would say the concrete slab must meet certain requirements and it should be LEVEL. The post on any lift should be vertical. I would hate to think what could happen if those bolts on the outside came loose while lifting a car. The lift arms will leverage the upright post so that they will tend to fall inward. The only think stopping that are the bolts. Note that some 2 post have a cross member at the top connecting the two post together to help share the load. Somehow I don't have any trust in reusing concrete anchors many times and would be reluctant to routinely install and uninstall this type of lift.

When I install my 4 post the slab wasn't up to spec so I cutout 4 pads and made new ones.

MD530F

May 16, 2006
Paradise Valley, AZ
Hmmm

I have the rotary which was recently purchased. It has a big label on it that says "Made in USA". Of course they could be lying, but it does have a big sticker on it. I purchased it from the local dealer who sold equipment to a dealership we owned.

In any event, I personally like the Rotary's. They are more expensive but seem a lot more rigid. The four post lifts have a lift tray that you can put a bottle jack on or you can purchase a lift tray with air jacks. Also, you can get aluminum ramps that are very light and will allow very low cars up without a problem. My 10 GT3 is almost an inch lower than the GT. In any event, to each his own but my preference was the Rotary. Also, you could order it in different colors so I did the two tone black and red which matches the Equipto tool boxes which are also done two tone.

th_DTHLMFORD6.jpg

th_DTHLMFORDBUGGY2.jpg

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Watch the video from Backyard Buddy car lifts. Sam Memola aka" Two Guys Garage" TV show on Speed TV talks about them.

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
I am looking for a lift which will be flush with the floor (no ramps to drive on)... lift the car up and then be able to store another car underneath... (understand there must be something to take up the gap off the ramps once lift is up)...

might need to engineer something but wondered if there was something out there somewhere...

Here ya go Ray.

http://hardingsteel.com/

Also this site has good info on Made In USA lifts.

http://www.autolift.org/

I have a Mohawk and would recommend it.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
With a new warehouse space on the way, I am trying to narrow down too which lift to get.
I searched through tons of posts and am a bit confused.
It seems to me the Bendpak and Backyard Buddy seem to be well liked with made in America quality.

3 quick questions:

Regarding Bendpak lifts:
-Can you guys clarify kindly which model Bendpak you are using for the extra width - is it the HD9 or HD9XW or ?

- Is it made in China as Chip stated ? Not clear on their website.

For the Backyard Buddy crowd:
- which model are you using?

I'm hoping to find something that is very GT friendly, but could be also shared by some of my 1930's and 1950's Cadillacs

Thanks !

Last edited:

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
I have the standard Backyard Buddy with extended ramps. It is very FGT friendly.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I am fairly sure the Benpaks are not made in the USA anymore. This was told to me by the guys who installed my 2 lifts.

the BB is expensive but in my opinion the best all around lift, it looks good, works correctly and is hard to find fault in. You will pay about an extra $2000 per lift for a BB compared to a Bendpak.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Mullet - you are correct. I called Bendpak today and they produce the steel and some other components in their factory in China. They then ship to the US and do some assembly at their Calif. factory before shipping to end user. There in lies the confusion as to where made. This strategy of assembling partially in the US actually allows many companies to say made in the US. I'm still considering it though as pretty highly recommended. The Bendpak HD9xw is $2910 including delivery

Called Backyard Buddy today. They report their lift is 100% made in America. Price for unit I wanted (7000lb capacity, overheight) is $5400 including delivery. Quite a difference.

If you research the 2 companies at all on-line, you find back and forth advertising and claims. Apparently Backyard Buddy is not certified by an organization that Bendpak is certified by. Unsure if any significance to this. However the Backyard Buddy is completely made in US.

Confusing to say the least.

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I have 2 Pro Park 8's from Direct Lift, ATL/ELI certified, mechanically identical to the Rotary Revolution, but less than half the price. Excellent build quality, and far cheaper than the Bendpak. Not assembled in the US, though.

http://www.derekweaver.com/update/products.aspx?id=32&d=&add_cart=true&color=nocolor&size=nosize

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I have 2 Pro Park 8's from Direct Lift, ATL/ELI certified, mechanically identical to the Rotary Revolution, but less than half the price. Excellent build quality, and far cheaper than the Bendpak. Not assembled in the US, though.

http://www.derekweaver.com/update/products.aspx?id=32&d=&add_cart=true&color=nocolor&size=nosize

That's what I have in my garage....2 Direct Lifts. They work great with the Ford GT. Just changed the oil on both of the GT's. I also used the jack tray recently to do my front pads and rotors on one of the cars. Derek Weaver is located here in Fort Worth so getting them installed was easy for me.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
That's what I have in my garage....2 Direct Lifts.

Wow....we have the same exact car and the same lifts....scary! :lol

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
Jax, you sound like your in good shape! With the great help from everyone here I am going to buy the BendPak HD-9. The differences I see with the one you are looking at, the HD-9xw, is basically just longer, by about 50 inches, which I am glad in your case, can accomodate. I am building a 4-car and the HD-9 and the length of my garage area is not long enough. The one you are looking at is just about 3 inches wider and your does lift a bit higher as well.

I am not up to date but have you inquired about the optional jack? Costs about $1000.00 and I am going to include 1.

Both lifts have an adjustable ramp which if good.

I know everybody is looking forward to springtime! My plans are for the completion of the garage so that I can look forward to finding a GT of my own to have along with my other 2 toys.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I wanted to post my experience with Bendpak. This is what I posted in Ferrarichat:

Bendpak customer service
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergts1998
superlifts wants about $12K-$13K for their dual lift. Not one single certification on that lift. Way too expensive! I would rather get the BendPak dual lift that has real certification.

Adam,
Not only do they have a cert, but these guys are the best at customer service. I bought a 4 post this year (HD-9ST) which is the narrowest 9 ton they make. I thought everything would be fine, but must of made a mistake measuring the Testarossa. The wheel width is just a couple of inches too wide to fit and this after we installed it. I thought I was toast, but I emailed them asking if there was anyway I could get the wider rails. Get this, they are going to charge me basically a deposit for the new wider rails and stuff, and allow me to send back my original rails freight collect and then credit my deposit when they receive my stuff back. So, basically I'm out nothing. This is what I call first class customer service and the Bendpak unit is really first class.

John
post_old.gif
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
jratcliff
user_online.gif

Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

John

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for the help guys. I just ordered a Bendpak HD9xw, a little wider and taller than most. Not sure if I will lag bolt it down, or put it on casters. It should be here in early March, and be the first addition to the new warehouse space.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Thanks for the help guys. I just ordered a Bendpak HD9xw, a little wider and taller than most. Not sure if I will lag bolt it down, or put it on casters. It should be here in early March, and be the first addition to the new warehouse space.

you don't leave them on the casters. So it's either bolt it down or straight on the floor. When it needs to be moved then you put ther casters on (you lower the lift onto the casters and it lifts the lift up a couple of inches).

Personally I don't see a need to bolt these down. Why limit where it is located?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Personally I don't see a need to bolt these down. Why limit where it is located?

Those of us who live in 'quake zones have our reasons! :lol :cheers

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
you don't leave them on the casters. So it's either bolt it down or straight on the floor. When it needs to be moved then you put ther casters on (you lower the lift onto the casters and it lifts the lift up a couple of inches).

The Mulletman is correct!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Those of us who live in 'quake zones have our reasons! :lol :cheers

Earthquake? Did that happen when you fell off the ladder EP? :rofl

One of these days I plan to stop by the museum you have and see the space where the FGT was..........

Anyway love the BP HD-9 Wide... When the neighbors tick me off I move it (with casters) in the driveway, park my truck on it, move a coach and refrig to the driveway and blast Wille Neslon and Charlie Daniels to piss them off.....