Further tightening of the parts supply system

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
This is the story I've been hearing as well and do commend Ford for being proactive by getting a grip on the hoarding situation in particular. Thanks for the post Rich.

Kudos to Ford to being proactive!

Great post Rich and Steve.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I don't get it. I assume Ford makes money on each item sold. What's the problem with maintaining a minimum quantity in inventory of all GT parts and making money on each one sold, to an owner or a "hoarder". Nothing will discourage hoarding faster than a commitment to maintain an adequate parts supply. What am I missing?

Howard

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Some of the suppliers are gone, tooling is gone, etc. I've used the example of the headlights before. Ford paid to retool the headlights. There is essentially zero chance they are ever going to recoup the cost they paid to do that, let alone actually make money from it, even at the exorbitant price they are today. Cobrar would know better than I would, but I see little chance they ever get to the break even number on those.

Ultimately their concern is making sure that cars that need to get fixed can get fixed, and making sure actual owners are buying the parts and the system is accounting for true usage rates of those parts is the easiest way to ensure that.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ultimately their concern is making sure that cars that need to get fixed can get fixed, and making sure actual owners are buying the parts and the system is accounting for true usage rates of those parts is the easiest way to ensure that.

Exactly right! Thank you!