Further tightening of the parts supply system

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I ordered oil pump flange gaskets online. The dealer had to order from his distributor. I had to provide the VIN, which I expected, and send a copy of the car registration, which I did not expect.

The registration was a distributor requirement. I guess that means even dealers can't order parts for their own stock.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Let's hope for the same requirement to buy the new GT!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Its always been like that having to give your vin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The only reason I posted this is I haven't seen it posted before. Sorry if it is repetitive.

Anyway, not always VIN for me, but yes within the past couple of years.

If it was "always," I wonder how a few people have accumulated a huge amount of parts. ;)

First time I had to scan and email my registration to buy a part, which was the point of my thread. First time for the dealer too. Again, sorry if this is common knowledge. Still waiting for Indy GT to fix the search function. teehee.

Last edited:

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I went through the same process with the local Ford Dealer for clam shell struts. It may be a month before they come in. A lot of hassle and $115 for two small struts!

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Bought my clamshell struts through Northwood at Carlisle this spring-Scott did not ask for my vin and the price was fair.

redfish28

GT Owner
Sep 23, 2010
Is there a contact for Northwood? I need the clamshell struts and a fuel filler neck as well. My GT stalling is really becoming an issue. thxs

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have the clamshell struts in stock.

redfish28

GT Owner
Sep 23, 2010
Cool. Could you PM me(I'm new around here and I can't PM you) and will try you or your company this week. thxs

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Cool. Could you PM me(I'm new around here and I can't PM you) and will try you or your company this week. thxs

Welcome redfish28!

If you supply the moderator with your GT's VIN you can become a full "member" and get PM privileges.

Still waiting for Indy GT to fix the search function. teehee.

Gary, I have not experienced the VIN requirement either, but Rich and Dennis take care of most of my parts.
If the search function does not work (uh you actually have to try to use it…:biggrin) I defer to our fearless moderator.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I just ordered a few parts for my GT & had to show my registration even though I know everyone at the dealership. It's a Ford requirement.

Ed

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Yes, proof of registration is now required at my Ford dealership as well. Parts manager didn't even know about it until it kicked back my order for a front spoiler. I should have made him make a copy when I had it there. Need to make a 2nd. trip now.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Same here, waiting on an oil pump belt, and had to send a scan of my registration. The Ford guy told me that certain folk had been buying parts in bulk and hoarding them for future resale, hence the proof of ownership requirement. Its only for items unique to the GT though, for instance no ID required for air filters, fuel filters etc coz they're from other mundane Ford vehicles

redfish28

GT Owner
Sep 23, 2010
Indy GT, thanks for the reply. Just got back home near the GT and have the VIN ready. Who is the moderator...ie what handle or should I post the VIN here?

thxs!!!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Henry,...is that you?
Still got ur B9?

redfish28

GT Owner
Sep 23, 2010
Hey Bro! Yeah that's me. B9s are mostly gone. Wanted a GT for a long time and finally got one from Marv. Really enjoying it. How are you?

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Very interesting thread going on here. I thought I would put my $.02 in. This is truly my opinion based on how many cars we have worked on and are currently working on.

Remember back in the old days (2005-2010ish) when you could go to the Ford dealer and get a part for your car, well those days are long gone for the Ford GT owners and non-owners now. We could get any part for a car that we were working on with no questions asked. Times were good other than the occasional backorder. Fast forward a few years then we got into backorders and out of stock (2010-2013) issues.

Could it have been?:
- Ford ran out of parts since it was such a low volume car.

-Ford didn’t realize so many of the cars would be crashed/damaged and need replacement parts.

-Suppliers went out of business as the years went on.

-Hoarders buying parts for themselves, resale, or future investments.

My OPINION is all of the above. Now Ford has to spend more money on re-engineering, retooling (as some of the original tools were lost destroyed), inventory, and so on causing part costs to go up. Did I mention this was an extremely low volume car (4038) and not your typical 900,000+ F150’s in 2005.

As of June of 2013 Ford tried to get this under control so they started requesting the VIN for every part ordered for a Ford GT. That didn’t help with this lovely thing called the internet because you can find a VIN anywhere, no proof required.

Now fast forward to September 2015 we need current registration, VIN, owner name, and sometimes pictures of the damaged parts. Yes they have to be current registrations as we have had a few owners that had expired registration and they had to get them renewed just so we can order parts. Also we have a few cars that were not registered and now the owner had to get the car registered just so we can order parts.

One can look at all this as good or bad.

The bad is:
It is difficult, and will continue to be, to get parts as time goes on, especially if you do not own a car.

The good is:
Ford is trying to get a hold on the parts system in order to keep parts on Ford (not private party) shelves for many years to come. This way when someone has an “oops” or whatever the need, the part will be available and you won’t have to search for it. Not saying every part will be available but hopefully many will be.

Short of the story is, it seems like Ford is trying to protect the actual owners of the current 2005-6 GT.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Now fast forward to September 2015 we need current registration, VIN, owner name, and sometimes pictures of the damaged parts. Yes they have to be current registrations as we have had a few owners that had expired registration and they had to get them renewed just so we can order parts. Also we have a few cars that were not registered and now the owner had to get the car registered just so we can order parts.

Wow, that's quite surprising. I'd think that some part of the parts chain would be sensitive to the cars still on MSO.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Very interesting thread going on here. I thought I would put my $.02 in. This is truly my opinion based on how many cars we have worked on and are currently working on.

Remember back in the old days (2005-2010ish) when you could go to the Ford dealer and get a part for your car, well those days are long gone for the Ford GT owners and non-owners now. We could get any part for a car that we were working on with no questions asked. Times were good other than the occasional backorder. Fast forward a few years then we got into backorders and out of stock (2010-2013) issues.

Could it have been?:
- Ford ran out of parts since it was such a low volume car.

-Ford didn’t realize so many of the cars would be crashed/damaged and need replacement parts.

-Suppliers went out of business as the years went on.

-Hoarders buying parts for themselves, resale, or future investments.

My OPINION is all of the above. Now Ford has to spend more money on re-engineering, retooling (as some of the original tools were lost destroyed), inventory, and so on causing part costs to go up. Did I mention this was an extremely low volume car (4038) and not your typical 900,000+ F150’s in 2005.

As of June of 2013 Ford tried to get this under control so they started requesting the VIN for every part ordered for a Ford GT. That didn’t help with this lovely thing called the internet because you can find a VIN anywhere, no proof required.

One can look at all this as good or bad.

The bad is:
It is difficult, and will continue to be, to get parts as time goes on, especially if you do not own a car.

The good is:
Ford is trying to get a hold on the parts system in order to keep parts on Ford (not private party) shelves for many years to come. This way when someone has an “oops” or whatever the need, the part will be available and you won’t have to search for it. Not saying every part will be available but hopefully many will be.

Short of the story is, it seems like Ford is trying to protect the actual owners of the current 2005-6 GT.

This is the story I've been hearing as well and do commend Ford for being proactive by getting a grip on the hoarding situation in particular. Thanks for the post Rich.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I just ordered some items this week. I had zero problem bringing in a copy of my registration (I knew it in advance, and had it with me). Its in "our" best interest. Parts manager said I might even get a call from Ford verifying info. No idea if that will actually happen.