Fubar's GT Build

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I didn't think the cranks on the GTs were balanced but these drillings appear to suggest otherwise. Thoughts?

i would say balanced, all the cranks that I have laying around that I know are balanced have the same holes. Only way to balance is to chew away material - whether a mouse or machine does it. :biggrin

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
i would say balanced, all the cranks that I have laying around that I know are balanced have the same holes. Only way to balance is to chew away material - whether a mouse or machine does it. :biggrin
Do you have other GT cranks laying around? or just other balanced cranks? I would just like to confirm that all GT cranks have these balancing holes and thereby end my disillusion that the GT motor was not balanced from Ford.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Mark,

I believe the last externally balanced motor Ford made was a 1980's 302 and 351 Windsor. All others are internally balanced as your crank would indicate.

Big Blocks have been internally balanced since around 1970. Externally balanced motors are easy to spot as the damper and flywheel have weights cast on or welded to them (sometimes bolted on).

Very easy to see.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
btw mark have i said I can't wait to see your car when its completed? how long?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Do you have other GT cranks laying around? or just other balanced cranks? I would just like to confirm that all GT cranks have these balancing holes and thereby end my disillusion that the GT motor was not balanced from Ford.

My stock crank that I bent the snout on has the same holes

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
btw mark have i said I can't wait to see your car when its completed? how long?

Couple years at the current pace.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Actually, that is looking like a fairly accurate estimate.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The 351 Windsor was the last motor with external balence, so when ever they stopped putting them in vans is when that ended and yes all mod motors are internal balence....

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Having done a lot of balance work I would say that is normal for the crank to have a few holes in it from the factory. Internal or external, it would not make a difference, they still need to put holes in for balancing proposes. They only cranks I have seen balanced with no holes are billets used in top fuel cars.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB

No extra GT cranks but lots of old school stuff.
Individual parts are balanced which is why you will see these same holes in flywheels. I agree that it doesn't matter if it is externally or interanally balanced as rotating parts need to rotate smoothly on their own to function properly. I have external balancers and hatchets that are drilled this way as well.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
This project is coming along slowly but it's moving. I had to wait on some 'special' items from Dustin Whipple... very cool things coming from Whipple... blow your mind cool. Also did a complete 'rethink' on the intake system. This is one that will get the boys (and girls) at Ford asking question. Hopefully it will be ready by ralley time.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
You still going with the 4.5? I talked to Whipple about those a few weeks ago and they couldn't give a date? So I'm doing another procharged car Out of the Dallas area for one of my good friends.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Tell Taylor, I'm going to eat his lunch. ;)

Cheers,
MM

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Tell Taylor, I'm going to eat his lunch. ;)

Cheers,
MM

Not Taylor, this is my other GT and I sold it to a buddy of mine..So r you just going to wait till you can get a 4.5? Cause they told me no time soon...or r you going a different route? I just talked to them two weeks ago. Can't wait to see some progress on your ride!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Inquiring minds want to know about the Tilton Clutch and lightweight flywheel.. I hope to see the car at the rally... :biggrin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Not Taylor, this is my other GT and I sold it to a buddy of mine..So r you just going to wait till you can get a 4.5? Cause they told me no time soon...or r you going a different route? I just talked to them two weeks ago. Can't wait to see some progress on your ride!

and what's up with your car?? are we going to see it run at the rally ?? :rolleyes

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes, the build is centered around big air delivery. It should be more sooner, less later ( but you know builders are)! I hope to have some interesting pictures for you soon. Things are coming together.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Inquiring minds want to know about the Tilton Clutch and lightweight flywheel.. I hope to see the car at the rally... :biggrin

Fubar is a bringing a Super Trofeo, a Mercedes SLS, a 458 Italia, and a GT3 RS. At least that's what I assume by his Facebook page. :biggrin

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Fubar is a bringing a Super Trofeo, a Mercedes SLS, a 458 Italia, and a GT3 RS. At least that's what I assume by his Facebook page. :biggrin

+1