Here's the $5 in case of emergency plate bracket:

5D3_3788.jpg

5D3_3791.jpg

5D3_3792.jpg

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi Kendall

Let me be the first to express interest on this. If you make it, I'll for sure buy it.

thx

Ed
Hi Guys,
If interested you can order a 12" x12" x 0.050" Thick plate of 6061 Aluminum from McMasterCarr.com. It is P/N 89015K14 for $15.27. This is just the aluminum plate. It still need to be band sawed and drilled and anodized (if you want to). I gave a sample to Kendall at CoolTech so if enuf want them he might fabricate. It is a pretty simple project anyway.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Hi Kendall

Let me be the first to express interest on this. If you make it, I'll for sure buy it.

thx

Ed

I would get one from Kendall/CoolTech if he does go forward with this.

Vince H

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Here's the $5 in case of emergency plate bracket:

How do you keep it level? Washers? Tightened up, my tow hook is at about a 45° angle.

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I have bought mine at mower axle.com. If this is inappropriate, feel free to remove.

I bought one of their tow hole attachment plate holders also. Got a ticket a couple of years ago, whats called a fix it ticket here in Washington. I screwed in the mower axle bracket and drove to a local police detachment office, had the car inspected and they voided the ticket. I drove the GT home, removed the front plate - ready for the next exercise.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How do you keep it level? Washers? Tightened up, my tow hook is at about a 45° angle.

Wherever your tow hook bottoms out, just swivel the plate level and snug the nut on a lock washer. A wing nut would eliminate the need for a wrench, but I didn't leave enough room for the wings when I drilled the hole.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I used the same concept as Xcentric, but I used an undersized threaded rod that slips into (rather than threads into) the tow hook receiver, thus eliminating the need for using the actual tow hook. I have two nuts locked to one another to form a stop, so the rod enters the receiver at just the right length. A wing nut and washer behind the receiver completes the one minute installation. Using the threads at the front of the rod I attached a universal plate holder. I have only used this assembly for getting through inspection. I've never been stopped on the road (New Jersey) for no front plate; but of course I carry the plate with me.

Howard

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I used the same concept as Xcentric, but I used an undersized threaded rod that slips into (rather than threads into) the tow hook receiver, thus eliminating the need for using the actual tow hook. I have two nuts locked to one another to form a stop, so the rod enters the receiver at just the right length. A wing nut and washer behind the receiver completes the one minute installation. Using the threads at the front of the rod I attached a universal plate holder. I have only used this assembly for getting through inspection. I've never been stopped on the road (New Jersey) for no front plate; but of course I carry the plate with me.

Howard

That only works on the 06 style cars with no grill.

Here's a curve ball question: can a California cop issue a citation for no front plate to a visiting out of state registered and licensed car that is supposed to have a front plate but doesn't?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Here's a curve ball question: can a California cop issue a citation for no front plate to a visiting out of state registered and licensed car that is supposed to have a front plate but doesn't?
I don't know, but I highly doubt it would happen.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

I don't believe so, as the car complies with the state regulations where it was registered; and the states have reciprocal agreements. Similarly, an out-of-state car does not have to comply with CARB specifications. If the car is being constinuously used in California, they may investigate and require the car to be registered in California, as there is a grace period to have a car registered to a permanent or transferring resident.

From the California DMV:

When fees are due

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
• Accept gainful employment in California.
• Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
• Rent or lease a residence in California.
• Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
• Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't believe so, as the car complies with the state regulations where it was registered; and the states have reciprocal agreements. Similarly, an out-of-state car does not have to comply with CARB specifications. If the car is being constinuously used in California, they may investigate and require the car to be registered in California, as there is a grace period to have a car registered to a permanent or transferring resident.

Ralphie he is asking if he is out of state and his home state also requires front plates, could he get a ticket.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ralphie he is asking if he is out of state and his home state also requires front plates, could he get a ticket.

Oops - sorry...answer unknown.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

One would have to assume so. If both states involved require said plate, what legal 'legal leg' would the 'offender' have to stand on???

BTW, don't get me started on front plates.............:mad

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I doubt very much if the officers in California know the particular laws of other states - hell, it's hard enough for them to know a percentage of the California laws (which change frequently). And, in the state of the finances of California, they are typically looking for revenue sources, not problems. Just MHO.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I just got a ticket in Ma for no front plate.I even told him I was just coming from a car show and took it off.I also stated I had the plate and would gladly put it on.Still gave me a ticket the ****in asswhole

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I just got a ticket in Ma for no front plate.I even told him I was just coming from a car show and took it off.I also stated I had the plate and would gladly put it on.Still gave me a ticket the ****in asswhole

Easy revenue! Pisses me off when there is so much real crime out there!

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
If 10 want the front license holders shown in the beginning of the thread I will make them. Otherwise no.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Outside states cannot enforce other states laws. Wouldn't CA love to enforce IL gun laws.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Outside states cannot enforce other states laws. Wouldn't CA love to enforce IL gun laws.
Which state, IL or CA, has the most restrictive gun laws?