Front License Holder

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Hi Guys,
I live in California where I am required (at least in principle) to have a front license plate. I do not like it but here is my solution. It is made from 6061 aluminum 0.050" thick from McMaster Carr. I anodized it at Danco.net but you might not and leave it natural or even use paint (not me). All you need to do to attach is loosen three 5/16 bolts holding the chin spoiler to the car and slide the holder into the gap and snug the bolts back down. Takes minutes and no new holes. I used double sided sticky tape between the plate and the bracket closest to the bottom of the license plate so no vibration. Also, foam insulating tape between plate bracket and lower part of intake scoop. The bracket won't touch but being compulsive I did this in case it ever did. I did my best to keep the airflow open and I don't think it is compromised. Used CoolTeck black license frame since wife thought it needed that but you might just use the plate. Secured plate with nyloksbracket.jpgfront.jpgOblique.jpgplan.jpg.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Nicely done! :thumbsup

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Clever and effective bracket.
Fortunately I have not had an issue here in SoCal for 6 years.
If I get busted, this is the way to go.
Thanks!

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
In California a percentage of LEO use this to initiate a stop. Anything can happen from there. A certain percentage of the LEO are bothered by the fact that you have a GT. Another group of LEO are looking to increase revenue by red light cameras which need a front plate to work so these cities are actively now writing citations for this reason which also includes pulling you over. Perfect storm I can do without.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Point well taken.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Another group of LEO are looking to increase revenue by red light cameras which need a FRONT PLATE to work so these cities are actively now writing citations for this reason...

...and yet motorcycles, ATVs, cars with "trip permits", car dealership cars, farm vehicles, and some classic cars don't have to display a front plate. Nice, huh? How does that work, exactly?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
...and yet motorcycles, ATVs, cars with "trip permits", car dealership cars, farm vehicles, and some classic cars don't have to display a front plate. Nice, huh? How does that work, exactly?

No one is going to give you a ticket when you car never leaves the garage!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I haven't had any problem in 20+ years with no front plate on any of my CA cars. I've been stopped in the past for various things with no front plate & never once did I get a ticket for no front plate. My wife just got a ticket on her car (Taurus SHO) though while parked in San Francisco for no front plate. After the sign off of correction it was a $10 fine or you could've not fixed it & paid $160. Just pay the $160, say every 10-20 years, for no front plate. Cheap.

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So it works for a 2006 grill, what about a 2005 with the mesh?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
So it works for a 2006 grill, what about a 2005 with the mesh?

Frank it fits between the splitter and bottom of the front fascia so it should work on all years.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
What's up with cars having zero plates

Here in OC I see dozens of cars with a blank plate advertising selling dealer ??!

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi Andreikoc

Do you recall the person's name and phone # at McMaster Carr? I'd like to have one made, great idea!

Ed

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Superb execution !

Can u make me one ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
What's up with cars having zero plates

Here in OC I see dozens of cars with a blank plate advertising selling dealer ??!

New cars don't come with plates. Have to wait X weeks for the DMV to process and send you a set. In the meantime, dealers will slap on their logos as free advertising. Lots of people will keep them on even after they get actual plates. Good way escape red light cameras, I suppose.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I was a little paranoid about not having a front plate, because in Virginia just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I got a 3' length of flat aluminum stock from Lowe's, used an angle grinder and a vise to cut and bend a few pieces that screw to the plate and clamp to the tow loop with wing nuts. Nothing touches any part of the car. Total cost < $10.

I keep the plate and bracket pieces behind the driver seat "just in case," but I've never had to use it despite several conversations with LEOs while they were looking at the front of my car.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I bought a nice aluminum holder that threads into the tow hook receiver from Stillen I think. It was made for a Nissan if I remember. Yours looks better though!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Really nice idea, design, and execution! Well done, and thanks for sharing. I am a proponent of the tow-hook attatchment point approach. Years ago someone on the Forum was making a nice aluminum spacer and attaching fastener kit. Don't know if it's still available, but Gary's approach is a nice solution too. As he does, I carry the plate and the attachment kit in the trunk, and if/when stopped will try the "OH S--- Officer, did I forget to put the plate back on after my last on-track session? I'm old and forgetful, and I'll put it on right now if you'll let me." approach. If that doesn't work, pay the fine and move on. Unfortunately, the comments relative to the no-plate defficiency being a liability regarding offering LEO a reason for stopping you are valid. We are all on our own in that regard. Absent that situation, I figure if I get stopped, not having a front plate is the least of my problems. Hope it doesn't happen for any reason. Particularly don't like the " LEO doesn't like you because you have a GT " scenario, but unfortunately that's a real possibility that we all have to live with. I am copying down the design in case I want to go that way someday. Hope that's not a patent or copyright infringement! ( One issue I have with the screwing into the tow hook point approach is that in the unlikely approach that the thred should back out, that would create a real problem if the plate and attachment hardware fell off! Don';t even want to think about that.)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have bought mine at mower axle.com. If this is inappropriate, feel free to remove.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Hi Guys,
If interested you can order a 12" x12" x 0.050" Thick plate of 6061 Aluminum from McMasterCarr.com. It is P/N 89015K14 for $15.27. This is just the aluminum plate. It still need to be band sawed and drilled and anodized (if you want to). I gave a sample to Kendall at CoolTech so if enuf want them he might fabricate. It is a pretty simple project anyway.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Hi Guys,
If interested you can order a 12" x12" x 0.050" Thick plate of 6061 Aluminum from McMasterCarr.com. It is P/N 89015K14 for $15.27. This is just the aluminum plate. It still need to be band sawed and drilled and anodized (if you want to). I gave a sample to Kendall at CoolTech so if enuf want them he might fabricate. It is a pretty simple project anyway.

It's now just McMaster.com - although their name is still McMaster-Carr.

(I've had an account there for years)