Ford GTXtreme

Xtreme

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2010
Thank you Forum for being a resource for part of the research and development of our Ford GT endurance racer. We started this car last April and began track testing just a couple weeks ago in preparation to win the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. Please check it out and let us know what you think!
www.fordgtxtreme.com

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Wow! Looks great... (even if red) Good luck on the 12/4 Thunderhill endurance event... We look forward to hearing great things. Looks like you are running a Whipple also :thumbsup

Every-time I have a caipirinha I will raise a toast in your name! Fubar, check it out a 38 gal aux tank!

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Nice work. Please keep us posted.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
That is serious! Thanks for sharing the build process, very enjoyable and informative.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Well done, great engineering and a credit to your team, Carbon panels look great
let me know if you have some rear end instability, hopfully you don't
Good luck in your races
Cheers
Neil
NZ05GT

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for sharing your project

Very nice

Shadowman

Xtreme

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2010
Alot of big decisions to make in the next three weeks. Good news is all of our drivers tested the car at Thunderhill and drove it at a winning pace (1:50's). It is definately faster than our 2008 Porsche Cup car (spec). Thunderhill is 3.0 miles and 15 turns and we're hitting 155mph on the front straight.
The biggest issues we've had are cooling and working around the stock ecu. We're going to replace the front mesh, properly shroud the radiator, duct fresh air into the engine compartment, and have big external fans blowing during pits, so hopefully that solves cooling.
NZ05GT, with our suspension setup and aero, the rear end only gets unstable if you really hang it out (oversteer). 60% of the weight in our car remains in the rear so once it gets past a certain point it just goes around.
Here's the question...we're putting in a fresh stock engine w/supercharger, gearbox, and clutch for the race. Do we continue to run the upgraded pulley worth a 100hp or stay stock for more likelyhood of 25 hour endurance??

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If you can address the heat, the motor should hold together.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Nice project, thanks for sharing build pictures. I might just have to go to Thunderhill to watch!!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Alot of big decisions to make in the next three weeks. Good news is all of our drivers tested the car at Thunderhill and drove it at a winning pace (1:50's). It is definately faster than our 2008 Porsche Cup car (spec). Thunderhill is 3.0 miles and 15 turns and we're hitting 155mph on the front straight.
The biggest issues we've had are cooling and working around the stock ecu. We're going to replace the front mesh, properly shroud the radiator, duct fresh air into the engine compartment, and have big external fans blowing during pits, so hopefully that solves cooling.
NZ05GT, with our suspension setup and aero, the rear end only gets unstable if you really hang it out (oversteer). 60% of the weight in our car remains in the rear so once it gets past a certain point it just goes around.
Here's the question...we're putting in a fresh stock engine w/supercharger, gearbox, and clutch for the race. Do we continue to run the upgraded pulley worth a 100hp or stay stock for more likelyhood of 25 hour endurance??

Well i think if you guys can get the cooling issues fixed running the extra 100hp will defeniately help. Being the clamb shell is just a shell with no bottom, what are you guys doing to feed the airbox with fresh air? Are you guys running the fans all the time? Running a 160 thermostat?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
here's a link with more pic's from Sacramento car show....http://www.fittedlife.com/checkedingear/photo-highlight-sac-auto-show-2010-ford-gt

Very nicely done--hoping you have a successful result for the 25 at Thunderill.:usa

First weekend of December.

Go Blu!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Neil can help you .He has been down this road

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Xtreme cooling

Sorry guys just got in to work 7.30 am here
THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE COOLING SYSTEM IS THE CENTRE HUMP IN THE FRONT HOOD IT BLOCKS OF 30 + PERCENT OF THE OUT GOING AIR.
Also when you pit for fuel you must have the std fans running otherwise you will get heat soak, the only time I have had an overheating issue is when my fans failed to work on one pit stop in a 12hr race that was run in air temps of 30 to 35 degrees C
make sure you block of all gaps around the radiators including the gap between the rads.
also you may want to look at adding some slots to the front splitter for more air.
Are you running and oil cooler for the engine other than the factory one.
I have attached some pic's off the body mods to our to help cooling.
Whippled 17lb GT no heat issues:thumbsup
Let me know if I can be of more help
Neil

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 220

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Larger side scoops

Attachments

• GT rads 004.jpg
    GT rads 004.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 211

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Wow. I like it!

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
The top and bottom of my rads are are covered in and I also tape any little air gaps up for race day

Attachments

• GT rads 001.jpg
    GT rads 001.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 212
  • GT rads 003.jpg
    GT rads 003.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 211

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great looking race car !! I can't tell from your photos but taking the screens out of the side scoops will increase the airflow to the engine bay.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Great looking race car !! I can't tell from your photos but taking the screens out of the side scoops will increase the airflow to the engine bay.

No screens in scoops , also the rear screen is adjustable at the rear to let more air out of the engine bay and I have three scoops in the rear window to feed cold air to the whipple.
Neil

Xtreme

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for the input... here's what I gather on cooling:
-no "middle" in the front hood
-cold air intake
-a 55gpm intercooler water pump (electric, by meziere.com), the stock is only 12gpm
-front wicker across the hood
-use radiator fans (necessary for stops)
-expanded air inlets in the nose
-replace mesh front intake
-tightly shrouded radiator sides, top, bottom, and in-between radiator and intercooler
-oversized side scoops for engine compartment air
-more fresh air through the engine compartment
-an oversized oil cooler

And it sounds like we need more HP!! The race will be 2500 miles.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Don't worry about the HP, get reliability first, I hope you have lots of fuel on hand 2500 miles = 2000 gal of fuel maybe
I wait with anticapation for a good result
Neil
NZ05GT