Ford GT40 in Classic & Sports Car magazine Oct 2010

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The Mark II driven by Graham Hill. There is a great photo in the article showing Hill laying 2 black streaks as he pulls the holeshot at a 1966 race.

Ed

Attachments

• Ford GT40 in Classic  & Sports Car magazine Oct 2010.jpg
    Ford GT40 in Classic & Sports Car magazine Oct 2010.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 1,992

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks will buy

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ford GT40 in Classic  & Sports Car magazine Oct 2010-1.jpg

"...supercar clone, the Ford GT" ? Another article in the same issue.

Ed

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
View attachment 18182View attachment 18181View attachment 18181
The Mark II driven by Graham Hill. There is a great photo in the article showing Hill laying 2 black streaks as he pulls the holeshot at a 1966 race.

Ed

Same article but in Bahasa Indonesia for those of us living on the other side of the world! :banana:banana:banana

Attachments

• Bahasa Indonesian Classic and Sports Car.jpg
    Bahasa Indonesian Classic and Sports Car.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 890

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Someone here must know: Just how noisey IS a GT40 continuation car 'inside' compared to a stock FGT? (Specifically a 427 powered unit if someone happens to know.) Is the noise level easily tolerated over, say, a 200 mile 'day trip'...or would it be an absolute bear?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Someone here must know: Just how noisey IS a GT40 continuation car 'inside' compared to a stock FGT? (Specifically a 427 powered unit if someone happens to know.) Is the noise level easily tolerated over, say, a 200 mile 'day trip'...or would it be an absolute bear?

Isn't the question, how is the noise with the engine running in a garage?

My guess is a GT40 cont. car is much noiser than a stock FGT and the ride and noise over 200 miles would be unbearable for most modern drivers.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My guess is a GT40 cont. car is much noiser than a stock FGT and the ride and noise over 200 miles would be unbearable for most modern drivers.

That's my guess too, Clinton.

I'm thinking someone here may be able to give an appoximation of the "db" level from 1st hand experience.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona

Judge for yourself:

[video=vimeo;9480874]http://vimeo.com/9480874[/video]

This video is my son Team Jeff giving IndyGT a ride in my Superformance GT40 chassis #P2109, one of the "continuation cars", at Stig's Day Out at Spring Mountain last February. I'm driving my FGT with them in this track session. Several camera angles, including in-cockpit from the GT40 (at 7:30 in the video). Here, the GT40 is a bit quieter than it originally was because we'd replaced the SPF stock rear bulkhead plexiglas with real glass. I guarantee that you won't be listening to your iPod - and you won't want to! Carbureted Roush 427W, dynoed at 553hp flywheel by Roush & 370hp rear wheel (on 91 pump gas) by ADS in Chandler. Weight with full fuel & no driver is 2,395#.

I took the FGT to Pebble Beach this year (1,600 mile round trip) and it's very comfortable on a long trip - but you're right, the same thing in the GT40 would be a lot more tiring. It's not just the noise, but you don't have any room to move around - you're pretty much confined to one position, and it's even worse for the passenger (less leg room). The whole experience is very "raw" compared to the GT. Every time I drive the GT40 I think of how incredibly difficult it must have been to race these cars for 12 or 24 hours - the drivers must have had cast iron endurance.

EP, let me know next time you're down here and we'll go drive it.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The whole experience is very "raw" compared to the GT. Every time I drive the GT40 I think of how incredibly difficult it must have been to race these cars for 12 or 24 hours - the drivers must have had cast iron endurance.

Thanks, D.B. Between the stmt above and the vid you provided, you've confirmed/illustrated what I'd suspected all along but had hoped wasn't the case. (And I 'gotta' admit, I hadta kinda swallow hard when I brought up the vid and got a look at how...uh...'snuggggg' the cockpit is!:eek I DID expect it to be tighter - just not THAT tight!)

EP, let me know next time you're down here and we'll go drive it.

Thank you, sir! I'd really enjoy that! In anticipation of doing so, though, I'm obviously now going to have to stick VERY CLOSELY to my diet regiment!!!!!!! :ack :willy:willy:willy

Thanks again for your insight...and for the offer! :wink :thumbsup :cheers