Ford gt water/alcohol injection? Should/can I or not?

specizripn

Permanent Vacation
Apr 28, 2011
Ok so Im looking into buying a gt and getting taking it to get 1000 horses. Now I dont know from who yet, I have heard nothing but good things about tuners most of which are members of this forum. Now my friend has a subaru impreza wrx sti with a race built engine and he said he has a Water/alcohol injection system Keeping his engine cooler (along with his cold air intake) allowing him to have more compression (boost) without his engine blowing. Now would the same thing work for a GT? Is this common? I feel like an idiot. Thanks in advance!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Do a search on meth and water. From another Ford forum most blower cars didn't see any notable gains unless the water is injected post intercooler.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You can get TT kits from either Heffner or Hennessey that will both put you at 1,000 REAR WHEEL HP... figure 1100+ at the crank.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I thought meth kits were making a sizable difference? I'll see if I can find a basis for that information. On top of the cooling effect, meth is also a very high octane fuel, mixing it with pump gas, under specific criteria effectively allowing you to run a tune as tho you have a race gas. The down sides are (as I understand)
1) that meth is very corrosive and long term effects are as of yet, unknown. Current GT fuel system components are not suitable to carry the fuel. All parts need to be hard anodized.
2) this becomes another failure point that could lead to catastrophic engine failure with no early warning, should the pump go out or a jet become clogged. Or the more common, you run out of meth mid-pull. How much do you trust your $45k motor to the cheapest chinese supplier?
3) some people contend that if added before the intercooler, the weight of the methanol in the intake will be subject to more centrifugal force and roll the the outer most cylinders. Thereby causing hot spots in the motor. (a little far fetched but stranger things have been true before)

With that knowledge, I would say you can make an informed decision based on the information. I am interested, so let me know what you decide to do.

specizripn

Permanent Vacation
Apr 28, 2011
I think i'll leave it alobe thanks for the input everyone! I guess its different to put chemicals in your $15,000 subaru than your $165,000+ ford GT

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You can get TT kits from either Heffner or Hennessey that will both put you at 1,000 REAR WHEEL HP... figure 1100+ at the crank.

:confused What does a TT kit have to do with water/meth injection?

Fubar brings up the major concerns. If you inject only water you will still get the cooling effects but not the increased fuel octane. With the proper tune a loss of water injection can be detected by a rise in air inlet temperature. Also you can get kits with flow and pressure sensors than can signal a failure. You can connect the fault control into the bypass valve of the blower to dump the boost and save your engine.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
What does a TT kit have to do with water/meth injection?

The op said he was interested in "taking a GT to 1000HP".

Taking the GT to 1,000HP is possible W I T H O U T methanol!!!

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The op said he was interested in "taking a GT to 1000HP". In case you missed it, I put it below so you dont have to learn the scroll feature:

OK, so read S L O W L Y.......

D o y o u s e e t h e p o s s i b l e c o n n e c t i o n y e t ??

Taking the GT to 1,000HP is possible W I T H O U T methanol!!! TA DA !!

Get it? Yes? Great! Not yet? Please start at the top... S L O W E R.

Sorry Kendall, I am a little slow today and missed that part and stand corrected!

I was focused on the title of his thread. Now if he wants 1000+ HP then I would recommend a TT system rather than a super maxed out blower system that would take all the bells and whistles to accomplish. IMO without major surgery a max out Whippled FGT with water/meth injection and 91 octane would be pressed to get over 825 RWHP. That isn't much less than most TT systems on the same gas, but the TT can run C16 and easily get over 1000 RWHP.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I always thought Water or Meth injection primarily allows other factors such as boost or compression to be bumped way high without having detonation?

Doesn't Alcohol have less energy (btu's) than gasoline based fuels?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The op said he was interested in "taking a GT to 1000HP". In case you missed it, I put it below so you dont have to learn the scroll feature:

OK, so read S L O W L Y.......

D o y o u s e e t h e p o s s i b l e c o n n e c t i o n y e t ??

Taking the GT to 1,000HP is possible W I T H O U T methanol!!! TA DA !!

Get it? Yes? Great! Not yet? Please start at the top... S L O W E R.

jeeez Kendal! that is not EP you are posting on...........

GTRob

Feb 18, 2009
Doesn't Alcohol have less energy (btu's) than gasoline based fuels?

Yes alcohol has less energy, therefore you need more pumped into the engine and that is why cars converted to E85 (not the factory optioned Flexfuel ones) need bigger injectors and high volume fuel pumps.

Forget to add mpg is is also lower, but not important on performance cars.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm disappointed that so many members of the forum have failed this year's edition of "Can you spot the troll?"

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to deleting new registrations en masse...

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Ford GT and Subaru should not be in the same post...........ever.

Permaban

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
It sounds like the OP hasn't been quite specific enough. is the methanol going to be used primarily to push the HP envelope, or to run high HP with a larger safety net?

I don't see a huge downside if the methanol is used primarily to assist in cooling and preventing detonation via increased octane. There would be some HP gain simply from the drop in intake temp i suspect. It's very widely used in that respect. Nitrous has been used by a very respected forum member, and I don't recall anyone telling him his judgement was suspect. Nitrous has similar (in generalities of course) dangers... if your fuel isn't matched because of a clogged fuel filter or stuck solenoid (though most systems now have fail safes with regard to solenoids) then you've got a major issue. If you get greedy and swap in a 200hp jet when your tuner only recommends a 100hp jet, you'll likely also have problems. If you put in a nice system with appropriate fail safes and nozzle sizing for the specific motor, you can hit that nitrous button till you get arthritis, and not have any issues.

Specifically regarding the methanol, perhaps he meant to run a 4l whipple and run methanol as a coolant device rather than run (for example) more boost? I'm just sayin...

and as an aside... what the other guys said.... the FGT motor can hit 1000 HP without methanol without a problem. but might want to look into pricing before you get too excited... gotta pay to play. If you want a nice system, that is!

Last edited: