Ford GT vs Viper

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
I have a gen 2 viper that was purpose built to 1500 whp its just amazing in straight line performance at 7lbs it makes 1000rwhp lowest setting and I love taking it out.

But the FGT is just different it rides better looks better gets more attention and my wife will actually go out for dinner it. Parking it is a task, just cant have any one to close to you.

But overall fgt is a better car but nothing replaces the power the viper motors make.

For me as much as I'm a big car buff and that it would be great to have over 1,000 hp car, I'm afraid that I would probably never get to enjoy it enough to make that type of investment. I would be just as happy with a 10 sec street car since that is the only time I do any driving is on the street.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Joe makes several good points . I love Vipers and I guess that's why I keep buying them despite getting screwed at trade in time--they simply don't hold their value.

Joe--I thought I had bad luck--"only" took me a year to get a replacement seat for my 09.

One major Viper advantage--if you are lucky enough to live near one, Dodge has dedicated Viper techs and mine is like a member of the family and has been for 16 years. No one touches the car but him and I have 7 year warranrties that are real on all my Vipers--big advantage.

Speaking of my Viper tech when I took my GT to him he marveled at the build quality and components used under the clamshell--this is a guy who build big time drag cars and knows his stuff. He was blown away.

I will also say that one of the most knwledgeable Viper guys in the country (who shall remain nameless) ---when I told him I was getting a GT said "you will be spoiled". From a guy that bleeds Viper red that says a lot.

As you said above you like the Vipers, as for losing money on them compared to the smile from ear to ear when you drive it probably has a even more greater effect on you. I definately like both cars more than anything else out there. That is why it is such a hard choice for me to narrow down just to having only the one.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
One of the downsides to the Gen IV (2008+) Vipers is what can - or cannot - be done with power adders. The Gen IV's have variable valve timing and - to the best of my knowledge - none of the tuners have been able to integrate any PCM mods associated with SC / TT / NOS into the stock PCM.

I could be wrong, but I thought I had seen something on one of the Viper forums about a 2008 Viper being twin turbocharged, but it has been some time ago and the turner was Underground Racing from Charlotte,NC.

05fordgt

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2009
For me as much as I'm a big car buff and that it would be great to have over 1,000 hp car, I'm afraid that I would probably never get to enjoy it enough to make that type of investment. I would be just as happy with a 10 sec street car since that is the only time I do any driving is on the street.

I drive it every day and enjoy it it's just nice to have the power when you need it. It runs pump gas and has ac handles good. Plus cars these days make 600rwhp from factory would be really sad to get beat in a Fgt or viper

Investment was high but well worth it

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I love to track my 2008 ACR Viper but I love my GT too much to track it.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Lets say your time is very limited and you have to choose which car that may sit alot of the time, which car would you prefer over the other?

As far as driving I'd probably drive the Viper more, and that's because of the top down. If I had to get rid of one, it would also probably be the Viper. You came up with one hell of a dilemma. :frown

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
As far as driving I'd probably drive the Viper more, and that's because of the top down. If I had to get rid of one, it would also probably be the Viper. You came up with one hell of a dilemma. :frown

my wife yes, my dog maybe, my GT and my Viper never......

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
FGT & Viper

Have both, they are different. Viper heavier, harder ride, intense acceleration, corners okay, tighter fit.

Ford GT refined, quiet, better engineered car, smother ride, lower, more exciting and people photograft car all the time, even while moving. You fell cooler in a Ford GT

Atomic is right on!

Ed

PS I don't own one but I do like Vipers!

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
I drive it every day and enjoy it it's just nice to have the power when you need it. It runs pump gas and has ac handles good. Plus cars these days make 600rwhp from factory would be really sad to get beat in a Fgt or viper

Investment was high but well worth it

I definately agree with you on never having to much horsepower!!:thumbsup And also agree on being embarassed if beaten in another car that isn't a GT or Viper.:frown

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina

When I purchased my Viper four years ago at that time my mind was set on either doing a twin turbo or supercharger eventually. I thought before I got to carried away with getting extra horsepower I would have some time behind the wheel and get more familiar with the car. It is a totally different beast compared to the corvettes that I have owned in the past. But it has been on the back of my mind for sometime about getting a GT, so I have been very hesitant on spending any large amount of money on a car that I will no longer keep if I end up getting a GT. It is a big dilemma considering I like both cars.:confused

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
my wife yes, my dog maybe, my GT and my Viper never......

What ever happen to a dog being a mans best friend?:lol

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Atomic is right on!

Ed

PS I don't own one but I do like Vipers!

Ed Sims, Maybe we could switch cars for a period of time!!:lol

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
When I purchased my Viper four years ago at that time my mind was set on either doing a twin turbo or supercharger eventually. I thought before I got to carried away with getting extra horsepower I would have some time behind the wheel and get more familiar with the car. It is a totally different beast compared to the corvettes that I have owned in the past. But it has been on the back of my mind for sometime about getting a GT, so I have been very hesitant on spending any large amount of money on a car that I will no longer keep if I end up getting a GT. It is a big dilemma considering I like both cars.:confused

Try this on, I have a friend with a Viper and a 1967 Shelby 350, he also wants a GT. He wants to trade me his Shelby. Now there's a dilemma, for him, not for me.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Try this on, I have a friend with a Viper and a 1967 Shelby 350, he also wants a GT. He wants to trade me his Shelby. Now there's a dilemma, for him, not for me.

I agree that is a dilemma, because I'm also a big fan of the old Mustangs special the 1969 Mustangs, Mach1, Boss.