Ford GT vs Viper

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Just curious of those that have both, which car do you find youself gravitating more to at times? Keep in mind that I'm not pointing out any particular year of Viper, just what you like/own. Do you still find yourself just as excited to drive the Viper like the day you bought it? Or did you have a Viper and either traded/sold and used toward your purchase of the Ford GT? Like most people I started out with Corvettes and then move onto the Viper. After owning a Viper I don't really have any interest in the Corvettes, no offense to anyone. This year (hopefully) I will be able to purchase a Ford GT, I have been very patient. I'm not sure about having both Viper and Ford GT considering that my time is very limited. And I'm aware of what car forum that I am asking this on!!:biggrin

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Have both, they are different. Viper heavier, harder ride, intense acceleration, corners okay, tighter fit.

Ford GT refined, quiet, better engineered car, smother ride, lower, more exciting and people photograft car all the time, even while moving. You fell cooler in a Ford GT

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have had Vipers since 94 usually 2 or 3 at a time and have had all 4 Gens. My 09 feels quicker from a standing start than my 06 GT. I agree the Viper, even the new ones (I have an 09 and 10 on order) ride rougher than the GT. The GT, IMO, is a better handing car and clearly more refined.

I am 6'4" and once I get in the GT, it seems more roomy to me. It is harder, at least for me to see what is behind me and to the sides, but I am much newer to the GT than others here.

Although, I did not think it possible, the GT clearly has more "gawk factor" than the Viper. I hate to admit it, but when the GT is parked next to the Vipers in the driveway it is a lowers slung, more radical looking creature and bolder in design.

The GT is even less practical than the Viper if that is possible. I can fit a suitcase or set of golf clubs in my Vipers.

One thing I will say is even the most diehard Viper guys, and I have been in VCA since day 1 , appreciate the GT. I have gotten nothing but "congrats" on the GT from the Viper guys. Most I know, love it and want one.

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
I own both a 2009 SRT/10 CV and a 05 FGT and the differences are amazing - The FGT feels faster at 550HP then the Viper does with 618HP

Apples and oranges............

;-)

SGB

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
Not sure its as relevant given the 13 year spread in production but i own a '92 viper and fully agree with Atomic GTs comments. In general i enjoy driving the GT more than any other car i've driven...

Bernie would have a great perspective on GT vs Viper so maybe he can chime in...

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the GT is a better car for 1 mile top speed shootouts and open road racing. the Viper is a better car for road racing on short track race tracks. unless of course you modify your GT like matech did; then the GT is a better short track road race car then the viper. the GT is also a better car on the street than the viper. no matter how you slice the GT is superior to the viper in every way except for 1/4 mile drag racing. but why race cars that were designed for road racing on dragstrips anyway. that is what my camaro is for. my camaro is gonna run 10 flat next year and Hang em HIGH all for half the price of a viper :thumbsup

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
Just curious of those that have both, which car do you find youself gravitating more to at times? Keep in mind that I'm not pointing out any particular year of Viper, just what you like/own. Do you still find yourself just as excited to drive the Viper like the day you bought it? Or did you have a Viper and either traded/sold and used toward your purchase of the Ford GT? Like most people I started out with Corvettes and then move onto the Viper. After owning a Viper I don't really have any interest in the Corvettes, no offense to anyone. This year (hopefully) I will be able to purchase a Ford GT, I have been very patient. I'm not sure about having both Viper and Ford GT considering that my time is very limited. And I'm aware of what car forum that I am asking this on!!:biggrin

Not as relevant to you since you own a viper already but if someone is debating buying one or the other, I'd also say that the GT has a much higher likelyhood of retaining value vs modern vipers (just my opinion) so while the cost spread is wide initially the long term depreciation cost may be in your favor and a GT may be cheaper overall...assuming money is a factor.

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Is the headroom greater in the Viper or the GT? I am 6'3" and can't wear a helmet comfortably in the GT even after having the seat cushion thinned.

Thanks

I have had Vipers since 94 usually 2 or 3 at a time and have had all 4 Gens. My 09 feels quicker from a standing start than my 06 GT. I agree the Viper, even the new ones (I have an 09 and 10 on order) ride rougher than the GT. The GT, IMO, is a better handing car and clearly more refined.

I am 6'4" and once I get in the GT, it seems more roomy to me. It is harder, at least for me to see what is behind me and to the sides, but I am much newer to the GT than others here.

Although, I did not think it possible, the GT clearly has more "gawk factor" than the Viper. I hate to admit it, but when the GT is parked next to the Vipers in the driveway it is a lowers slung, more radical looking creature and bolder in design.

The GT is even less practical than the Viper if that is possible. I can fit a suitcase or set of golf clubs in my Vipers.

One thing I will say is even the most diehard Viper guys, and I have been in VCA since day 1 , appreciate the GT. I have gotten nothing but "congrats" on the GT from the Viper guys. Most I know, love it and want one.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Is the headroom greater in the Viper or the GT? I am 6'3" and can't wear a helmet comfortably in the GT even after having the seat cushion thinned.

Thanks

the GT has a more of a lay down seating position whereas the viper is more upright like a corvette. the gen 2 viper has way more headroom and cockpit space than the newer style vipers. i am not really fan of the newer style vipers personally because of the way they look but if i were i would still not buy one because they are a just to tight of fit for me. fyi - i am 6-1 tall

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I usually answer by saying my Viper is a 700 HP convertible I can drive all year in SoCal and enjoy the hell out of it, you can't beat a convertible-Or- I say I have a 700 HP Ford GT I can drive all year in SoCal and enjoy the hell out of it, you can't beat a GT. Depends on the day and who asks me.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
First of all I would like to thank AtomicGT, GTdrummer, stephen becker, silver1331 and Fast Freddie for your insight, very much appreciated. I was prepared to be flamed for asking this question since it is a Ford GT forum.:biggrin Last year I drove to Wise, Virginia to test drive a red/white striped Ford GT and it was a blast (this is my only experience with the car). As they uncovered the car it was like the first time that a virgin seeing a naked woman undress in front of his eyes; bong. I also agree with GTdrummer they are some blind spots from the rear as I was driving, but it definately seem to have a much better ride quality than the Viper and also felt like it had more room. Me being 5'-8" and 140 the cockpit in the Viper seems to fit me well, that I like because I fell more control of the car. Just my personal opinion but I think both cars get alot of attention simply the fact they are not seen in the public eye as often as other cars. To me they are both unique in their own ways with styling and performance. My quality of time is very limited because of work,my dogs,and wife. When I had bought my Viper I had two Corvettes at the time and they just sat and never got driven so I sold both cars. This is the reason for my question on both cars. It seems like each time you step up into the more expensive/exotic cars that the car you had before doesn't interest you as much as it did at one time. The expense of owning the GT doesn't bother me as much as having two cars and one sitting and not driven. I could definately see me being content if having one car and it only being the Ford GT.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
I usually answer by saying my Viper is a 700 HP convertible I can drive all year in SoCal and enjoy the hell out of it, you can't beat a convertible-Or- I say I have a 700 HP Ford GT I can drive all year in SoCal and enjoy the hell out of it, you can't beat a GT. Depends on the day and who asks me.

Lets say your time is very limited and you have to choose which car that may sit alot of the time, which car would you prefer over the other?

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
GT, hands down. I even upgraded my 08 SRTC with Motons to try and improve it's road manners / ride compared to my GT. Better, but still not in the same class as the GT. In the end, I sold the SRTC because it disappointed me in every aspect relative to the GT. And that's not saying the SRTC was a bad car, just says how spectacular the GT is.

Performance was again GT, hands down, but probably not a fair comparison. My GT has pulley / tune / Heffner cat back and only mod on my 08 SRTC was headers.

Looks? GT, big time though I kept my 96 B/W GTS because I think it's a not-to-distant second. The Gen IV Vipers just never really did it for me.

Build and quality? GT. No questions. Took me almost 18 months to get a simple seat issue resolved on my Viper. Sadly DC financial status impacts both quality and service - in my opinion.

Value? I took a 20K bath on my SRTC after 18 months / 5000 miles. I suspect my GT is worth near the same today as the day I bought it AND I've put a few miles / smiles on it!

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
the GT is a better car for 1 mile top speed shootouts and open road racing. the Viper is a better car for road racing on short track race tracks. unless of course you modify your GT like matech did; then the GT is a better short track road race car then the viper. the GT is also a better car on the street than the viper. no matter how you slice the GT is superior to the viper in every way except for 1/4 mile drag racing. but why race cars that were designed for road racing on dragstrips anyway. that is what my camaro is for. my camaro is gonna run 10 flat next year and Hang em HIGH all for half the price of a viper :thumbsup

Good luck next year on with your Camaro, a 10 second street car is no joke!!:thumbsup I like to go and watch 1/4 mile drag racing, but I have never been on the track. I know that I am missing out on alot by not getting on the track and having a good time! My wife and me try to make a couple of trips to the Atlanta Dragway and to Bristol Tennessee Dragway every year to watch some 1/4 mile racing.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
GT, hands down. I even upgraded my 08 SRTC with Motons to try and improve it's road manners / ride compared to my GT. Better, but still not in the same class as the GT. In the end, I sold the SRTC because it disappointed me in every aspect relative to the GT. And that's not saying the SRTC was a bad car, just says how spectacular the GT is.

Performance was again GT, hands down, but probably not a fair comparison. My GT has pulley / tune / Heffner cat back and only mod on my 08 SRTC was headers.

Looks? GT, big time though I kept my 96 B/W GTS because I think it's a not-to-distant second. The Gen IV Vipers just never really did it for me.

Build and quality? GT. No questions. Took me almost 18 months to get a simple seat issue resolved on my Viper. Sadly DC financial status impacts both quality and service - in my opinion.

Value? I took a 20K bath on my SRTC after 18 months / 5000 miles. I suspect my GT is worth near the same today as the day I bought it AND I've put a few miles / smiles on it!

How much more power does the pulley, tune, and cat back system give you over the stock hp that the car is rated at? Maybe a extra 200 hp? I would guess with the Viper you would either add a power adder or go more into the engine probably to get the same hp, but more costly to do with the Viper vs GT.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Ive had my Viper going on four years now with about 6,000 miles that I have put on the car since owning it. So that kinda gives you some indication of how often I am able to get behind the wheel.:frown Thats about 1,500 miles per year that it is driven. Also thats one reason why I would just only have one car. But one thing that we all can agree on is that this cars just like any other high performance car definately is a good tool to relieve stress on a bad day.:banana

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
One of the downsides to the Gen IV (2008+) Vipers is what can - or cannot - be done with power adders. The Gen IV's have variable valve timing and - to the best of my knowledge - none of the tuners have been able to integrate any PCM mods associated with SC / TT / NOS into the stock PCM.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
One of the downsides to the Gen IV (2008+) Vipers is what can - or cannot - be done with power adders. The Gen IV's have variable valve timing and - to the best of my knowledge - none of the tuners have been able to integrate any PCM mods associated with SC / TT / NOS into the stock PCM.

this is also a very good point too. for road racing it does not matter but if you wanna try and keep up with a GT on a runway you are screwed and even if you do figure out how to get around the computer you still got to deal with a transmission that only allows the car to hit a max of ~230 mph in the mile because the transmission can't handle the torque

05fordgt

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2009
I have a gen 2 viper that was purpose built to 1500 whp its just amazing in straight line performance at 7lbs it makes 1000rwhp lowest setting and I love taking it out.

But the FGT is just different it rides better looks better gets more attention and my wife will actually go out for dinner it. Parking it is a task, just cant have any one to close to you.

But overall fgt is a better car but nothing replaces the power the viper motors make.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Joe makes several good points . I love Vipers and I guess that's why I keep buying them despite getting screwed at trade in time--they simply don't hold their value.

Joe--I thought I had bad luck--"only" took me a year to get a replacement seat for my 09.

One major Viper advantage--if you are lucky enough to live near one, Dodge has dedicated Viper techs and mine is like a member of the family and has been for 16 years. No one touches the car but him and I have 7 year warranrties that are real on all my Vipers--big advantage.

Speaking of my Viper tech when I took my GT to him he marveled at the build quality and components used under the clamshell--this is a guy who build big time drag cars and knows his stuff. He was blown away.

I will also say that one of the most knwledgeable Viper guys in the country (who shall remain nameless) ---when I told him I was getting a GT said "you will be spoiled". From a guy that bleeds Viper red that says a lot.