Ford GT production limited to just 250 units annually

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Car and Driver's take

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-ne...xpensive-and-there-wont-be-very-many-of-them/

First time I've heard this though:

That’s why we know it’s going to be more limited in those who both want it and can afford it. In terms of the numbers, we’re just being realistic. If we get more requests for it, we’ll figure out how to fill them. But we believe we know what we’re going to sell based on the price point and what we’re hoping to achieve.”

So the lower numbers are realistic sales based on price and market analysis, but maybe more?

Last edited:

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
How many cars (total) can Multimatic produce in a year?

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
The proto and approved "R" cars have to be built as well.........with spares.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
How many cars (total) can Multimatic produce in a year?

Not many. The pre-preg tub for the One-77 took days to produce, so even aiming for 250 units a year, that would be a whole bunch of labor and a whole bunch of autoclave time. If you did something like RTM CFRP that would cut out a bunch of time, but as far as I know, Multimatic does not produce parts that way. My guess is that it will be difficult to complete 1 car per day.

One77_2.jpg

One77_3.jpg

One77_4.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Car and Driver's take

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-ne...xpensive-and-there-wont-be-very-many-of-them/

First time I've heard this though:

So the lower numbers are realistic sales based on price and market analysis, but maybe more?

I think his comments are right on the money. Although the number of people jaw-boning "me want" is large, the number of people with the desire and ability to drop $400k on a Ford is much, much smaller. Also consider that the small annual production numbers over several years has the potential to adversely impact the market for this car. Maybe it's a flop at Le Mans. Perhaps it's performance isn't otherworldly and merely matches the then-best offerings from Italy or England. Who knows. The buyers at that price are a very fickle bunch.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think his comments are right on the money. Although the number of people jaw-boning "me want" is large, the number of people with the desire and ability to drop $400k on a Ford is much, much smaller. Also consider that the small annual production numbers over several years has the potential to adversely impact the market for this car. Maybe it's a flop at Le Mans. Perhaps it's performance isn't otherworldly and merely matches the then-best offerings from Italy or England. Who knows. The buyers at that price are a very fickle bunch.

Yeah. And the capacity at Multimatic is the long pole in the tent, so extra units are probably measured in tens rather than 2x.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The proto and approved "R" cars have to be built as well.........with spares.

Proto, test cars are being done now...

Race cars will be earlier in the pipeline since they are going to be needed late this year or early next year to outfit teams for the summer 16 race season.

If I got it right, the race season may be pretty much over by the time civilian vehicles are out. It's a 2016 production as a 2017 model year, right? That's second half of 2016.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Wow Tony, this is incredible news. Which Ford Exec do you have in your back pocket giving you all this inside information?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow Tony, this is incredible news. Which Ford Exec do you have in your back pocket giving you all this inside information?

OK, "are" is "are logically". They have lots of work to do and no time to do it. Crash tests are consumable but have to be final design.

The rest is also about scheduling. They can't wait or they won't make it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't they have some design details to finish too? At the original announcement they said the outside rear view mirrors weren't final, something about the size. The "sticks" are on other cars though.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I don't think Ford is overpricing the car. Look at the car... full carbon chasis, dual clutch, adaptive aero, air-to-air intercooler (no heat soak)... really the ultimate car. It's benchmark was the 458 but it is really running against the laFerrari. It's a bargain at $450,000. If I had the scratch I'd buy two. Good on Ford.

**endorsement made, please FGT as payment.
Sounds familiar? ...Just saying.
GTJOEY1314

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Tony,

My point is, along with Mulit's other committments low production is almost assured. By design. This project is quite similar to the original '60's GT40. Homologate what you must and focus on the racing program. The GT is not a direct revenue generator, it is the Matriarch of Ford Performance. Therefore justified to spread and amoritize the project cost throughout present and future performance and race vehicles.
To validate, a win will be necessary.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...This project is quite similar to the original '60's GT40. Homologate what you must and focus on the racing program. The GT is not a direct revenue generator, it is the Matriarch of Ford Performance. Therefore justified to spread and amoritize the project cost throughout present and future performance and race vehicles.

Exactly!

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony,

My point is, along with Mulit's other committments low production is almost assured. By design. This project is quite similar to the original '60's GT40. Homologate what you must and focus on the racing program. The GT is not a direct revenue generator, it is the Matriarch of Ford Performance. Therefore justified to spread and amoritize the project cost throughout present and future performance and race vehicles.

I asserted early on and reiterated on the very first day that the methodology is a reversion to the homologation cars of the 60's - Cobras and GT40s. They were FIRST a race car, with some concessions to the street for homologation. Noone ever gave a street Cobra or GT40 rave reviews as a grocery getter. The same will hold here. The new GT will be uncomfortable for the passenger and driver unless both are very small (look at the space between seats).

Thus I assert homologation vehicles will be produced AFTER the first round of race vehicles. They have to get the cars in the hands of the race teams soon. Le Mans 2016 isn't that far away and they won't show up with a car the Friday before the race...

I also mentioned a checklist in another topic, but to finish I expect they will do the homologation units they need to meet the FIA/ACO rules, continue to produce them to meet the rules for multiple years, and then exit just as quickly as they entered (just like the GT40 program of the 60's) leaving the ongoing to the privateers.

Edit: Others snuck in while I was typing, but to your last statement: To validate, a win will be necessary.

That is n interesting point: What happens to additional years if they aren't able to pull off a 2016 (50th anniversary of the 3 way win) or 2017 (50th anniversary of the All American) victory? The new GT is a "celebration" of those events. Will the shininess wear off in subsequent years?

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

x 3.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Nicely done!!

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Maybe I wasn't really all that interested...

I'm one who has gone so far as to place a deposit with a dealer (one from whom I've purchased several Vipers and Ford vehicles). Call me crazy, I know there's no guarantee the dealer will get one, two or ten, but I'd hoped it would at least secure me a place in line. With production numbers announced and the realization setting in that it could be 3 or 4 years until mine comes up, I have to say I've just about lost interest...

The more I consider the competition, especially the Aventador or Huracan, the less I'm liking a twin turbo V6...

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I'd be curious to know (if anyone on the forum knows) what kind of profit margin did Ford make on the 05/06 project with 4,000+ cars at $150K SRP compared to what they will make on the new car even at the higher price? the numbers tell me what someone else said that it's not about profit on the new car and I truely believe that. the new car build cost, enigneering and testing has to be astronomical for a car like that. I don't think the price is out of line at all. jmo

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The profit is in the halo effect. Particularly, if it wins races.

The car markets EcoBoost (even if EcoBoost is a gas hog). It markets innovation.

Without repeating the words, we are seeing a reprise of the "Total Performance" era. And what a great time that was.

This isn't about the margin on the GT. It's about millions of Fords sold.

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
If the car is successful on the track. it will not be the last GT, maybe a "more affordable and obtainable " version to follow...