Ford GT @ Mecum Indy

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Friday car, Red, 376 miles, untitled, top stripe delete.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_d...emv&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SC0514-R240

Cobraguy

GT Owner
OK....I'll step up first with an all in estimate of $287,000.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Auction fatigue has to set in sooner rather than later with these. Way too many "rare" low mile Ford GTs showing up at these auctions week after week.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Under 250. Like Dave said, they're starting to come up too often so the market is getting saturated with "delivery miles" cars.

Does anyone really understand what happens to an almost 10 year old car with 500 miles? I can tell you from experience it is not good....

That's what puzzles me. Wrapper cars are not particularly rare, and they aren't useful, either. Their "rarity" is just an artificial result of the relatively large number of people who bought them and didn't drive them. And, not being driven, I suspect that now they can't be driven without a full service including a belt change and possibly seals, too. Recommissioning would cost a bundle if one wished to drive one - and of course, the value would presumably fall considerably with real mileage. So why buy one now if it's just a static sculpture? Do the buyers expect to be around long enough (50 years more?) to have a (possibly) appreciating asset? Or what?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
250 is my guess

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I've sold plenty of no mile wrapper cars, in the last year that people started driving regularly. No issues with any of them.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
This rare red top stripe delete car should bring $300,000 : ) but I'm guessing Rocketman is close to the money. I might sell mine for $300,000 if someone misses this one. Then I would just have to find another...

FNGTG

Dec 2, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for your input !!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Where does this "top stripe delete" term come from? Only the side stripes could be deleted.

If the car was exercised regularly it should be fine, but how do you know?

Yes, seems like a flood of wrapper cars coming to auction, but in reality the total number is small and the auctions are all over the country. How many GTs have the citizens of Indianapolis seen? Plenty of crop subsidy wealth there. Many people still kicking themselves for missing the boat almost a decade ago. Given inflation on MSRP+ADM, after a few drinks one could rationalize a brand new car for about the same real dollars as many paid at the showroom.

$240,000.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Where does this "top stripe delete" term come from? Only the side stripes could be deleted.

Gary, actually the "top stripe delete" is probably a misnomer. Since the painted racing stripes which went from the front of the car to the rear were an "option" ($5000/$5350) and thus if one did not opt to pay for these stripes when the car was built it could be called a top stripe delete car. Build order just did not include that option (1 of 4 total options available). Just semantics.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
With byers fee I'll say 256.

There was actually a red stripe delete at Indy in May 2011. When I saw that one it was the first time I was able to get close enough to check one out real good and decided on the spot I was going to get one. I told my buddy and wife a GT was going to be the next car I bought and they both brushed me off. I was casually looking for the previous 6-7 months but started in earnest when I got home. July 4th I took delivery and the rest is good times and new friends history.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
To be semantically correct, a top stripe delete would really mean that the car originally had a stripe, and that it was removed.

That is not the case here, as this car is a 3-option car.

While the use of the term "top stripe delete" is incorrect, it does convey to buyers that the car is without the racing stripes - which is probably a more unique item, as almost 87% of the cars were made with them.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think you'd be surprised how many GT's show up in Indy. Memorial Day 2007 we had quite a few (>40) attend the 500 as a group from all over the US. Our second official get together. Recently there was a picture of one parked at St. Elmo's restaurant in downtown Indy. Please don't underestimate what goes on the Midwest simply because we don't brag about it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't think location matters too much anyways. These threads start because the auction houses have an (inter)national e-mail blast system with a wide reach, so if you're looking for a car like the GT, not hard to hop on over and take a look.

Look at our buddy in Arkansas(AR). He's sold hundreds and hundreds of GTs and I bet he could count the ones sold in state on one hand.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I've sold plenty of no mile wrapper cars, in the last year that people started driving regularly. No issues with any of them.
That's good to hear!
Thanks Shelby.
Best,
Mark

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Dr. Frank, I was talking about auctions, although I didn't make that clear. Do you regularly see GTs auctioned there? I know there's a lot going on there. Corn dogs. Deep fried twinkies. Corn, etc.

I thought maybe Big Inch Blake would put his yellow GT on the block.

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I don't think location matters too much anyways. These threads start because the auction houses have an (inter)national e-mail blast system with a wide reach, so if you're looking for a car like the GT, not hard to hop on over and take a look.

Look at our buddy in Arkansas(AR). He's sold hundreds and hundreds of GTs and I bet he could count the ones sold in state on one hand.

Not in Va

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
To be semantically correct, a top stripe delete would really mean that the car originally had a stripe, and that it was removed.

That is not the case here, as this car is a 3-option car.

While the use of the term "top stripe delete" is incorrect, it does convey to buyers that the car is without the racing stripes - which is probably a more unique item, as almost 87% of the cars were made with them.

Ralphie is correct as my Silver car is a 3 option (no stripes on top) but has stripes on the doors. A stripe delete doesnt have door stripes. I am looking forward to see what this car brings as my Red 3 option (standard wheels) has 400 miles

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
My guess is that this car will hit 280K all day long, the iconic color will help it greatly compared to the yellow
ones that I watched in person in Kissimmee 3 months ago... If anyone wants me to throw in a bid for them just give me a shout. I will be there from Tues to Sat. selling my car. It goes across on Thursday night ... Eric