Ford GT back up camera install and photos

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Been wanting to install a rear view back up camera in the 2006 Ford GT for a while now. Found parts online and had my aerospace engineer and longtime friend Scott install.

We looked at various mounting possibilities and decided to go for the passenger side, above the diffuser. He crafted a custom bracket out of 2024 aluminum for the bullet camera.

• Installation summary (Front to Rear)
o Mirror/display installed onto stock rear view mirror bracket
o Wiring run above headliner, down the right A-pillar, constant/switched/ground/camera ground/reverse connected in passenger footwell, camera harness with power and ground wires (twisted pair) tucked under the right scuff plate, up the right B-pillar, through the existing grommet behind the right seatbelt retractor, downward to the frame rail and back to the rear following existing harness routing and into the right rear bumper crush rail
o Camera attached to right rear bumper crush rail (frame extension) with custom aluminum bracket

• Vehicle Prep
o Lower windows and unlock vehicle
o Disconnect battery
• Let car sit for fifteen minutes to bleed off any residual energy
o Remove door seals
• Right side full
• Left side partial (just to remove headliner)
o Remove headliner
• Remove sun visors (4 screws) and hood release (3 screws)
• Remove rear headliner (removal required to release the front one)
• Remove front headliner
o Remove A-pillar trim panel
o Cowl side trim panel left in place (Scuff plate restricts removal)
o Remove B-pillar upper trim panel
o B-pillar lower trim panel left in place (Scuff plate restricts removal)
o Scuff plate removal would facilitate finding the reverse wire, but the attachment screws are underneath the scuff plate insert and its removal pretty much destroys the insert. Chose not to destroy the scuff plate and accessed the reverse wire on the back side of the Smart Junction Box. Alternately, you can run an additional wire all the way to the rear backup light harness, but it’s not as clean an install with the extra wire running the length of the car. Looked for an easier to access harness bundle with the reverse wire, but gave up after searching for a few hours. Harness runs under scuff plate and through the frame itself…
o Disconnect safety belt pretensioner electrical connector
o Loosen oil reservoir as it will need to be pushed aside to access pass through grommet
o Raise right rear of vehicle and remove the right rear wheel. Harness routing is directly behind the wheel on the inner side of the frame rail.
o Remove the right wheel opening cover (horizontal cover behind wheel) to access crush rail

• Smart Junction Box (SJB) Access
o Wear an ESD strap as some of the modules are ESD sensitive
o Remove SJB cover
o Remove SJB bracket bolts
o Remove Inertial Fuel Switch mounting bolts to free up vehicle wiring harness
o Disconnect bulkhead connector
o Coerce SJB out to enable disconnection of rear electrical connectors
o Smart Junction Box circuit identification for reverse
• For Positive Trigger
• CKT 140 (BK/PK) is the positive trigger (goes to >10V when brake depressed)
o This is the positive voltage output to the reversing lamp
• For Negative trigger (Not common)
• CKT 1789 (VT/WH) is the negative trigger (goes to ground when brake depressed)
o This is the relay signal coming from the reversing lamp switch

• Harness
o Good practice to ground the camera ground at the same location as the mirror/display ground to prevent any chance of having to run the extra wire after determining you have a ground loop issue
o Twist the camera power and ground lines if not already using a twisted pair. Twisted shielded is even better.
o Constant and switched power can easily be tagged at the SJB fuse box using 12v Car Add-a-Circuit Fuse Tap Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holders. I found two suitable unused circuits.
o Ground to an existing lug to minimize unnecessary new holes
o Grommet expander and WD40 will help pass connectors through existing grommet
o To pass harness into crush rail, a hole large enough to pass the camera connectors needs to be drilled and deburred
• Use a suitable grommet to prevent chaffing
o Camera harness should be sheathed in a heat shield as it passes through the engine bay. Used Thermo-Tec Thermo-Flex Aluminum Heat Shield in proximity to the headers and exhaust (Aircraft Spruce sells it by the 10' length) in addition to wrapping the entire run in flame retardant XPF expandable sleeving.

• Camera Mounting Notes
o Bracket design was performed with system running to optimize camera Field Of View
• 2024 Aluminum utilized
o Camera set back as far as possible from bumper to where the bumper just goes out of view when properly positioned
• Camera pointing angle set parallel to ground plane
• Fine adjust to preference
o Designed with desire to keep camera as inconspicuous as possible

Reactions: extrap

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Here are the photographs to accompany the installation write up.

Attachments

• FordGTbucam-7046.jpg
    FordGTbucam-7046.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 242
  • FordGTbucam-7049.jpg
    FordGTbucam-7049.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 243
  • FordGTbucam-7050.jpg
    FordGTbucam-7050.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 241
  • FordGTbucam-7056.jpg
    FordGTbucam-7056.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 242
  • FordGTbucam-7059.jpg
    FordGTbucam-7059.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 234

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
And a couple more photos. Bullet camera was sourced through Best Buy online.

Attachments

• FordGTbucam-7066.jpg
    FordGTbucam-7066.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 215
  • FordGTbucam-7067.jpg
    FordGTbucam-7067.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 213

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Also of note, is that when you replace the OEM mirror, you will lose the built in map lights. I'm currently looking for some alternative lighting solutions and have a couple options with small mountable lights.

One of those little things that you never really notice, until they are not there!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Randy when I replaced my mirror I installed the dome light from Ford's part bin. Shadow man was the first to do this and I asked him for the part numbers forgot what they are. I believe I posted the installation and Shadowman did as well but I'm not sure if they're still on the Forum anymore. However the installation of the dome light is not for the faint of heart you have to remove the headliner which is very expensive to replace and there's numerous small clips holding it in place. To remove the headliner you have to also remove the weather stripping. However I do like the solution as it appears to be OEM and doesn't stand out like a modification someone did. My installation is unique and they also added a override switch so I can manually turn on the light even though the car doors don't trigger it. The the car automatically controls the light just as it did before with the lights in the mirror.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
One of the BEST investments I made... I purchased one that came with a mirror that slips over original mirror. No need to remove original... the camera clipped,on to the top of the license plate bracket...

You will love it and wonder why it wasn’t done sooner.

Enjoy!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You sure you're not going into the surveillance business?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
That's cool!

Ed

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great thread, thank you SYCO GT. :thumbsup

One of the BEST investments I made... I purchased one that came with a mirror that slips over original mirror. No need to remove original... the camera clipped,on to the top of the license plate bracket...

You will love it and wonder why it wasn’t done sooner.

Enjoy!

Map lights still operational? Make and model of your system?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Been wanting to install a rear view back up camera in the 2006 Ford GT for a while now. Found parts online and had my aerospace engineer and longtime friend Scott install.

We looked at various mounting possibilities and decided to go for the passenger side, above the diffuser. He crafted a custom bracket out of 2024 aluminum for the bullet camera.

• Installation summary (Front to Rear)
o Mirror/display installed onto stock rear view mirror bracket
o Wiring run above headliner, down the right A-pillar, constant/switched/ground/camera ground/reverse connected in passenger footwell, camera harness with power and ground wires (twisted pair) tucked under the right scuff plate, up the right B-pillar, through the existing grommet behind the right seatbelt retractor, downward to the frame rail and back to the rear following existing harness routing and into the right rear bumper crush rail
o Camera attached to right rear bumper crush rail (frame extension) with custom aluminum bracket

• Vehicle Prep
o Lower windows and unlock vehicle
o Disconnect battery
• Let car sit for fifteen minutes to bleed off any residual energy
o Remove door seals
• Right side full
• Left side partial (just to remove headliner)
o Remove headliner
• Remove sun visors (4 screws) and hood release (3 screws)
• Remove rear headliner (removal required to release the front one)
• Remove front headliner
o Remove A-pillar trim panel
o Cowl side trim panel left in place (Scuff plate restricts removal)
o Remove B-pillar upper trim panel
o B-pillar lower trim panel left in place (Scuff plate restricts removal)
o Scuff plate removal would facilitate finding the reverse wire, but the attachment screws are underneath the scuff plate insert and its removal pretty much destroys the insert. Chose not to destroy the scuff plate and accessed the reverse wire on the back side of the Smart Junction Box. Alternately, you can run an additional wire all the way to the rear backup light harness, but it’s not as clean an install with the extra wire running the length of the car. Looked for an easier to access harness bundle with the reverse wire, but gave up after searching for a few hours. Harness runs under scuff plate and through the frame itself…
o Disconnect safety belt pretensioner electrical connector
o Loosen oil reservoir as it will need to be pushed aside to access pass through grommet
o Raise right rear of vehicle and remove the right rear wheel. Harness routing is directly behind the wheel on the inner side of the frame rail.
o Remove the right wheel opening cover (horizontal cover behind wheel) to access crush rail

• Smart Junction Box (SJB) Access
o Wear an ESD strap as some of the modules are ESD sensitive
o Remove SJB cover
o Remove SJB bracket bolts
o Remove Inertial Fuel Switch mounting bolts to free up vehicle wiring harness
o Disconnect bulkhead connector
o Coerce SJB out to enable disconnection of rear electrical connectors
o Smart Junction Box circuit identification for reverse
• For Positive Trigger
• CKT 140 (BK/PK) is the positive trigger (goes to >10V when brake depressed)
o This is the positive voltage output to the reversing lamp
• For Negative trigger (Not common)
• CKT 1789 (VT/WH) is the negative trigger (goes to ground when brake depressed)
o This is the relay signal coming from the reversing lamp switch

• Harness
o Good practice to ground the camera ground at the same location as the mirror/display ground to prevent any chance of having to run the extra wire after determining you have a ground loop issue
o Twist the camera power and ground lines if not already using a twisted pair. Twisted shielded is even better.
o Constant and switched power can easily be tagged at the SJB fuse box using 12v Car Add-a-Circuit Fuse Tap Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holders. I found two suitable unused circuits.
o Ground to an existing lug to minimize unnecessary new holes
o Grommet expander and WD40 will help pass connectors through existing grommet
o To pass harness into crush rail, a hole large enough to pass the camera connectors needs to be drilled and deburred
• Use a suitable grommet to prevent chaffing
o Camera harness should be sheathed in a heat shield as it passes through the engine bay. Used Thermo-Tec Thermo-Flex Aluminum Heat Shield in proximity to the headers and exhaust (Aircraft Spruce sells it by the 10' length) in addition to wrapping the entire run in flame retardant XPF expandable sleeving.

• Camera Mounting Notes
o Bracket design was performed with system running to optimize camera Field Of View
• 2024 Aluminum utilized
o Camera set back as far as possible from bumper to where the bumper just goes out of view when properly positioned
• Camera pointing angle set parallel to ground plane
• Fine adjust to preference
o Designed with desire to keep camera as inconspicuous as possible

:eek :eek :eek I believe I'd just slap a "Go Pro" to the rear window via a suction cup and call 'er GOOD!!! :rofl

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Nice job Randy!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
My rule of thumb is not to participate in anything that looks harder than the Bar exam.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
:eek :eek :eek I believe I'd just slap a "Go Pro" to the rear window via a suction cup and call 'er GOOD!!! :rofl

Even that'd be a waste for you, a "no-go" would work, since you never drive your "toys" anywhere!!!! ;-)

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Or you could just take a still photograph of the driveway EP! If the view doesn't change, it would be just as effective. :wink

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
My rule of thumb is not to participate in anything that looks harder than the Bar exam.

CA State Bar was reduced to 2 days of testing from 3 days of testing, in 2017.

And the last test, had the lowest passage rate in almost 70 years! 6 in 10 applicants failed the July test!

I think they need to focus on higher admissions and educational standards if 60% can't show first year lawyer competence.

https://www.law.com/therecorder/2018/11/16/nearly-six-in-10-failed-californias-july-2018-bar-exam/

Reactions: Kpgarage

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Great thread, thank you SYCO GT. :thumbsup

No more map lights. Will have a work around. Look at BlackICE's solution above as well.

Materials List:

Audiovox Mini Bullet Backup Camera Black SKU# 8732622 Model# ACA600 $39.99

Advent RVM740 7.3 inch Widescreen Backup Mirror / Monitor and Remote Item #RVM740 $249.99

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Additionally note that:

Camera purchased through Best Buy Retail / Website

Mirror / Monitor purchased and still available through Amazon.com

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Even that'd be a waste for you, a "no-go" would work, since you never drive your "toys" anywhere!!!! ;-)

Or you could just take a still photograph of the driveway EP! If the view doesn't change, it would be just as effective. :wink

May the sewer serving Calcutta's brothel row back up into your breakfasts... :tap:

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Yesterday's WSJ had an article on the low passage rates in most all states. The law schools are fighting it saying that it would hurt "the minorities" the hardest as they are the ones who fail at higher rates. Get out of law school with a six figure student debt then can't pass the bar. The dumbing down of America.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State

And does it use wired connection or wireless? model and source? Having the courtesy/map lights functional would be a real plus.