Fubar, I like the way you think...

Ed

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I am not sure I am following this. Assuming you are talking about the 458 what is there to figure out about the launch control? (it is pretty simple) Also, unless he has somehow run over the mileage limit, (doubtful) what is he doing buying clutches?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am not sure I am following this. Assuming you are talking about the 458 what is there to figure out about the launch control? (it is pretty simple) Also, unless he has somehow run over the mileage limit, (doubtful) what is he doing buying clutches?

I don't know about the f458 but I was told on the 430 and 360 if you leave the car in reverse while not moving it accelerating the clutch wear.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

He said all that was necessary was to press the PS button but usually there is some finesse to getting that ordeal to work. I envisioned it involved something like, pressing the button, while having the throttle depressed to 100% and popping the paddle at the appropriate moment. As this was not my car and I didn't want to pay for my expensive experiments... I did not proceed with testing. Clearly, I do not understand the process. If it is anything like the rest of the car's technology, I'm sure it is nearly flawless.

Also, I was wrong about the previous replacement on this car. He had just replaced the clutch on the 430 Scuderia because someone did not fully understand the launch technique.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, as far as I know, the clutch on the 458 is not serviceable. It's a full trans replacement and it's about $90k to have the dealer do it(guy I know had to have it done). Ouch. Luckily, there seems to be very little evidence that things go wrong with them.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, as far as I know, the clutch on the 458 is not serviceable. It's a full trans replacement and it's about $90k to have the dealer do it(guy I know had to have it done). Ouch. Luckily, there seems to be very little evidence that things go wrong with them.

Holy high price bat man! I would think you could just replace the clutch like in my 911 turbo PDK? I am looking to add a 458 to my cars, but that is crazy. To have to replace the whole trans? Anyone here that can ask a Ferrari dealer. Would hate to have to replace the whole tranny, if all you need is the cluthes. I know on my F1 with the single clutch you just replace that not the tranny.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why BUYING a Farrari is the cheapest part of owning one...chapter 10.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Why BUYING a Farrari is the cheapest part of owning one...chapter 10.

and people complain about FGT part prices. What does an Fcar gauge cost?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

That is almost unbelievable.

Maybe when running low on fuel, you simply take the car to the dealer and have a new pre filled tank installed.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
:lol

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
and people complain about FGT part prices. What does an Fcar gauge cost?

The F gauges work great. They routinely tell you when the car is overheating, the oil pressure is low and all sorts of catastophic stuff....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In other words.......idiot lights.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Interestingly enough, after playing around with the 458 for a day or so… I liked it less than I did when I initially sat in it. The things I didn’t like were minor but I could see them getting on my nerves after a few months. Specifically, the 8250rpm limit was lots of fun when rowing thru the gears but at 90mph and 3800rpm… it gave me a bit of a headache. That cruise rpm also meant the throttle response to much at a 90mph. Unless I kept my foot perfectly balanced, the motor would slow the car down or pop it forward quickly, which became uncomfortable at speed. After spending 3 hours cruising to the strip and back I was ready to be out of the car… my neck hurt. As you guys know the GT is barely at 2000rpm running down the road at those speeds and quiet as a church mouse if you haven’t changed the exhaust. That’s not to say that I wouldn't love to have a 458, it is still the only car that I would put on par with the GT as “fun to drive.”

The opposite was true of the Lamborghini Gallardo - Super Trofeo. After spending some time just driving around, I liked the Trofeo more than I did initially. In a 10 minute drive with the Lambo, it feels heavy and big but if you spend some time on the highway, that feeling of weight becomes an asset. It is smooth and quite (too quite really), it glides down the road without any effort and is deceptively fast. Sadly, it didn’t make me want to own one.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
great comparison Mark. :thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Most Expensive Crash

Didn't know where to put this, so I stuck it here -

http://specials.msn.com/a-list/autos/ferrari-250-gto-crash-popular-pages#scptih

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
That's one expensive toy!

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
I've joined the GT+458 Speciale club,

1.JPG

and

photo 1676.JPG

:)

The Speciale is more responsive than the GT in all departments and so quick through the gears and is such a buzz to drive, it is so well balanced and the new Ceramics from the La Ferrari are fantastic. Looks wise I love them both for what they are, the Speciale is much more aggressive and purposeful than a normal Italia but its hard to beat the classic shape of the GT

The GT is the better one for relaxed cruising and for outright kick in the backside, straight line speed at over 80mph. For everything else in-between the 458 is better. I love them both dearly

Aug 25, 2006
Very nice

Thank you for sharing

Takes care

Shadowman