May 14, 2010
San Diego
Glad all appears safe!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Sorry, no, you would be wrong. Racing fuel would help - but it is hardly a solution and you risk additional damage. I would have bet money on what you found with the sparkplugs based on your description of the pulley and unknown (if any) tune in the engine. You are indeed lucky. My suggestion is that you contact Torrie and he can set you up with a tune "out of the box" and then he could optimize once he is there.

Hi Kendall

You are correct.

In (finally) finding the documentation on the pulley and (ancient) SCT tuner - it clearly shows that at 18psi - you need at least 100 octane for their tune.

Will be great when Torrie does it right.

In the mean time - I'll take it easy...

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
What kind of plugs did you have, stock or a colder heat range?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Sorry, no, you would be wrong. Racing fuel would help - but it is hardly a solution and you risk additional damage. I would have bet money on what you found with the sparkplugs based on your description of the pulley and unknown (if any) tune in the engine. You are indeed lucky. My suggestion is that you contact Torrie and he can set you up with a tune "out of the box" and then he could optimize once he is there.

Kendall - you are correct. Torrie did his magic. His tune, and a Mafia - has the engine where it should be.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall - you are correct. Torrie did his magic. His tune, and a Mafia - has the engine where it should be.

Excellent! Resume play!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yeah he pegged the MAF at 5800 with that 2.5 pulley.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yeah he pegged the MAF at 5800 with that 2.5 pulley.

So you added a Mafia?

He must have either been running lean about 5800, or rich at or below the 5800 without one.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
So you added a Mafia?

He must have either been running lean about 5800, or rich at or below the 5800 without one.

I did to 2 of the GT's yesterday. Yeah we all know what happens when you hit 5V that earlier. It leans out and timing advances unless the spark and fuel tables are raped to attempt to cover it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I did to 2 of the GT's yesterday. Yeah we all know what happens when you hit 5V that earlier. It leans out and timing advances unless the spark and fuel tables are raped to attempt to cover it.

Were they running stock tunes with a smaller pulley? Sounds like an engine problem just waiting to happen. This thread should be a good reminder for anyone running a modified engine to verify the tune is correct for the mods and if unsure to call Torrie before it is too late!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The car with the KB snout had the KB old box flasher and programs I believe. The other vehicles one was stock the other was fresh mod then straight to dyno. But you are right its a small price to pay to make sure the vehicle is right out of the box and will be safe for enjoyment then the other way around.