First Production Availability

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
"If $400k then our GTs will all pop to $500k for entry into GT CLUB........................lol

Check out '06 Heritage $185K forum posts...now $500K

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'm BACK. Dave missed me so much he convinced Ford to make a new GT just to lure me back to this forum. Great Job Dave. ;-)

I'm in for one for sure. I don't expect to see a $400,000 price tag, I'd expect maybe $250,000 tops or it will be unattainable by many that will want one.

I sure hope there is some way to get on a list with preferential treatment like Tesla. BTW, I got rid of that piece of crap Tesla roadster I had in Vegas. I did finally get a model S and it's pretty good though.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm BACK. Dave missed me so much he convinced Ford to make a new GT just to lure me back to this forum. Great Job Dave. ;-)

I'm in for one for sure. I don't expect to see a $400,000 price tag, I'd expect maybe $250,000 tops or it will be unattainable by many that will want one.

I sure hope there is some way to get on a list with preferential treatment like Tesla. BTW, I got rid of that piece of crap Tesla roadster I had in Vegas. I did finally get a model S and it's pretty good though.

Hey Brian,, great to see you are still alive !! I think you had the Tesla in Texas no ??

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Rumor 300 to 500 built per year, for worldwide distribution. possibly 4 or 5 year run. Ford doesn't want any sitting around on dealers lot, aka Viper. Maybe bonafide retail orders only will be scheduled for production. Smartest move!

This may help kill off the $100K+ ADMs that will be sure to follow. Those things kill brand loyalty. You can shear sheep over and over but cut them only once.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I meant to say Texas, see what happens when you drink as much as I do?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Adjusted for inflation our GTs are in the 250K range. There is a lot of new technology and cost in the new car, primarily all of the CF construction. Then amortize the cost over the total number of units expected (my dealer, some of you know who he is) says expect somewhere around 1000 units total lifetime, and the cost will be >> 250K. The number he quoted me is >> 400K. But noone knows, and the dealers are always the last. He'll have one though :) And he didn't answer the question if he'd do MSRP.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I guess we will all see. I'll get a GT '16 even if I gotta sell my tesla stock to do it. ;-)

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Carbon Fiber monocoque tub

Think those are min $250K to design/test/produce/street

Carbon tub cars available now:
The Alfa Romeo 4c, $53,900-$69,000
BMW I3, $41,350- $46,000
BMW I8, $135.000 +

So its unclear if the '16 GT will be 250K or 400K, but I think the cost could create a ceiling on the price of our 05-06's

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Supply and demand. I have seen this going back to the 80's This car no matter what the asking price is will sell to the highest bidder. I see the first cars going as high as $700k maybe higher. At $450 it would be a deal compared to other supercars. What dealer would sell it at $250 ? Why sell it that cheap when there are people in line waiting to offer more a lot more. maybe more then we think. crazy more, stupid more. lol get my point

Dealers all know what the 05 - 06 cars are selling for so why would they sell them for less ? I think this helps our cars values because we set the bar for this car. Look at the new supercars and ask yourself with all this hype about the old GT VALUES why would anyone expect this car to not go up like the old one.

This is also history in the making.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
BMW I3, $41,350- $46,000
BMW I8, $135.000 +

So its unclear if the '16 GT will be 250K or 400K, but I think the cost could create a ceiling on the price of our 05-06's

Wow! those tubs came down

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
BMW I3, $41,350- $46,000
BMW I8, $135.000 +

The technology surrounding carbon fiber production has changed greatly in the past few years. It is now almost cheaper than aluminum! What we don't know is whether the carbon fiber that will be used in the new GT is Aerospace/Formula1 grade, or Chevrolet Corvette grade....Big difference!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
My 650S looks like it is 80% CF. Tim is right.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The technology surrounding carbon fiber production has changed greatly in the past few years. It is now almost cheaper than aluminum! What we don't know is whether the carbon fiber that will be used in the new GT is Aerospace/Formula1 grade, or Chevrolet Corvette grade....Big difference!

Race grade tub. The seats are fixed and molded into the chassis, so this is structural not lower weight body panels.

I'll still doubt the costs of tooling etc. can be amortized over about 1200 civilian vehicles and yield a 250K car (250K is what the 2005 Ford GT would be in today's dollars). I don't see the Ford Board of Directors allowing a loss on each car (but we could make it up in volume).

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I think it makes the '05-'06 FGT an instant classic.

The 05/06 FGT was an update of original following the original design aesthetics. This car does not really attempt to do that. A few cues here and there but it deviates tremendously in major ways. The entire car is uber high tech ala' McLaren, Hurican, 458 even Enzo. It has as much if not more design cues from those cars than the Ford GT/GT40.

It is cool and beautiful no doubt but it does not stick to it's roots like the 05/06. The 05/06 was a clear and unmistakable update of it's progenitor. This new one. Not so much. Cool yes but not unmistakable FGT/GT40.

I have a real issue with a V6 too.

In a market competing with Aventadors, 458's, McLarens a $400K Ford with a V6 regardless of it being an ecoboost twim turbo will have a hard time competing against the foregoing "prestigious marks".

My take.

What will it do to 05/06 FGT values? Again, I think it made the current FGT an instant classic overnight.

P.S. With the usual dealer greed and ADMs this new GT will be unobtainium for mere mortals for some time.

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I've had my Tesla S P85 for 2 years. Great daily driver.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

I was of the impression that Alfa had subcontracted Mazda for the 4C chassis - and it was rather "ordinary" and to be largely shared by the upcoming new Miata.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
In the interview Jamal says engine is derived from "Daytona Prototype racing engine" they have been racing in IMSA

So with engine/drivetrain coming from the racecar; think they had to outsource the design/production of CF tub, body, interior, ECU, and with wheels/tires to OEMs and they are in business in 12-24 mos.

http://racing.ford.com/series/road-...ong-changes-for-52nd-rolex-24-at-daytona.html

Attachments

• 1390492108356.jpg
    1390492108356.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 199

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In a market competing with Aventadors, 458's, McLarens a $400K Ford with a V6 regardless of it being an ecoboost twim turbo will have a hard time competing against the foregoing "prestigious marks".

This sentiment has been expressed here by many. I wonder how much of this is coming from what might be a perceived deficiency vs just a pure distaste of a less-than-v8 internals. In other words, if the powerplant manages to deliver supercar-like numbers AND delivery curves, I wonder if we will really care about the number of cylinders. (Chevy's highest performing V8's are missing half the valves that the "should" have - but somehow pull off unforseen amounts of power and delivery.) In short, if the power/delivery is there, I think the exhaust note is solvable - and let's hope it's not with a larger radio amplifier.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This sentiment has been expressed here by many. I wonder how much of this is coming from what might be a perceived deficiency vs just a pure distaste of a less-than-v8 internals. In other words, if the powerplant manages to deliver supercar-like numbers AND delivery curves, I wonder if we will really care about the number of cylinders. (Chevy's highest performing V8's are missing half the valves that the "should" have - but somehow pull off unforseen amounts of power and delivery.) In short, if the power/delivery is there, I think the exhaust note is solvable - and let's hope it's not with a larger radio amplifier.

With a body like that I wouldn't care if it was powered by chipmunks chasing cockroaches around the sides of a Camel hair basket !! :biggrin

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006