FGT vs Turbo S PDK

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
First of all I own an 05 FGT with the regular mods and it`s still an animal that I`m still trying to tame.
Now here we go I went for a blast in my buddies Turbo S and this is where the debate with stormcat started
all the respect in the world to him, plus I like him.But i don`t think his or mine and his with all his mods can take a bone stock
Turbo S with PDK in the 1/4 mile.Anyone have any feedback? would be cool. Thanks Mike

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
The fact that your dealing with all wheel drive and a lightning fast transmission from a standstill will be hard to overcome in a relatively short distance. Now with that being said, It usually boils down to the driver when going from a dig with a modded GT (traction). Rest assured though and I talk from experience that a pulley and tune GT will walk away from a turbo Porsche and any of its variants from a roll. Although not the same car a good comparison would be a video posted here from a member in Florida where his GT runs a GTR from a dig and reals him in and then creeps away.

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
JayGT
Mike here again I`ve spanked everything and I know what your saying ,but a GTR is not a Turbo S. and I`m only talking 1/4 mile.Thanks , Mike

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
What is the turbo s running at the quarter compared to the GTR? I believe there off by 1/10Th or 2 of a second depending on the mag in the 1/4. Thats pretty similar in my book.

Last edited:

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
this is a fun topic when you own both...don't have an S but a 997.2 Turbo with PDK and mods for 600+ hp...easily well below 3 sec to 60 when you use launch control....and 20 mph jumps from various rolling speeds are just crazy fast....I've not been able to really compare to my 06 GT with pulley/tune/x-pipe because it's still on it's 6+ yr old GYear F1 hard as rock rubber...when the new and wider rubber is on in a few weeks it will be interesting to compare....I won't time it, not that important to me but for sure I suspect the feeling of the GT will have me calling it all around the faster car. One thing with the Turbo is that it won't get to 60 in first gear so if you're doing a 0-60 run you need to let it shift (at least I do) because I can't get my self to shift it at the optimum spot...I either pull the paddle too quickly (which means almost as fast as your foot slips off the brake) or too late and rev limiter scares the crap out of you :)

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
They are quick, running 10.8 or 10.9 in the quarter.

I don't know about Stormcat's GT, but if it's much more than a pulley/tune and presuming he can drive, he should pull a Turbo S PDK.

Amazing what they can wring out of a 530hp car with a ultra-fast-shifting trans, but it's not like it's running 9's or something.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I've been there too. The Turbo S is an amazing car.
The Turbo S is too quick out of the hole. Forget that race or you'll need a lot of runway to catch up (can't really compare these 2 on the streets).
From a roll, an upgraded GT should be the fastest car. Although the Turbo S is hard to beat even at high speeds. If the TTS driver knows what he's doing, he will take you.
They usually go to the gas pedal a bit quicker than the GT driver, turbo lag doesn't let you see his jump too much. Once you learn that, you have a better chance.
Now, this has been my experience: 5 races, GT won 2 out of 3 from a roll none from 0 mph. I may not be the best driver...

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I've been there too. The Turbo S is an amazing car.
The Turbo S is too quick out of the hole. Forget that race or you'll need a lot of runway to catch up (can't really compare these 2 on the streets).
From a roll, an upgraded GT should be the fastest car. Although the Turbo S is hard to beat even at high speeds. If the TTS driver knows what he's doing, he will take you.
They usually go to the gas pedal a bit quicker than the GT driver, turbo lag doesn't let you see his jump too much. Once you learn that, you have a better chance.
Now, this has been my experience: 5 races, GT won 2 out of 3 from a roll none from 0 mph. I may not be the best driver...

What mods to your GT Rock?

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
I ran 10.8 @ 125 MPH in my bone stock 2013 GT-R:

http://www.dragtimes.com/2013-Nissan-GT-R-Videos-23970.html

The Turbo S is just as quick and has more top end, from a dig (without drag radials) you'll get hammered badly 9/10 times against the GT-R/TurboS, you will pull on them, but it would take a LONG time to pass....

Here is my old 2012 GT-R (less power) running against my GT from a dig and roll.... my 2012 GT-R ran 11.07 @ 124 MPH, so figure the 2013 would be about 2 cars ahead of the 2012....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL6ljbCwphQ

Last edited:

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Big Porsche fan ( owned a few 930 T & Ruf T with mods ) But last yr I ran my GT at Lebanon Valley Dragway ( not a quick track ) & I ran a 10.81 @ 135 mph & 10.84 @ 135 mph, pulley/tune & stock GY tires, and with that said I have not know of a Turbo S running close to that... At a roll 50 mph + I don't think there's a car out there that can beat the GT.. ( OK Bugatti, etc )

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

Weak link in the GT's ability to launch from a standing start is the half shafts that can (and are) broken in a hard burnout. The Ford GT is not a drag racer.

Chip

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Sal ,
I think we know each other from PCA Club racing.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I have a 997.1 TT 6 speed with 700 HP and have run 10.8 sec at 135 MPH (also super hard car to launch as they eat clutches for lunch). A stock PDK 997.2 TT hits 10.8 sec at 128 MPH. A pulley tuned FGT has and will run about the same time with a much higher trap speed (135-140MPH) with a good launch. At the 1/4 mile point the FGT is overtaking the 911 TT quickly and after that it's over for the porsche. My 700 HP 911 is only 574 HP (28% loss with AWD) at the wheels versus 620-660 WHP for the pulley tuned FGT. At the quarter mile it's a toss up and my money consistently is on the PDK with launch control. The FGT is too unpredictable on launch to consistently win. Any distance longer than the 1/4 mile FGT for sure. From a roll it's likely the FGT.

Otis

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just skip the 1/4 mile and do the mile events, not too many Porsche of any kind even showing up. :lol

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I ran 10.8 @ 125 MPH in my bone stock 2013 GT-R:

http://www.dragtimes.com/2013-Nissan-GT-R-Videos-23970.html

The Turbo S is just as quick and has more top end, from a dig (without drag radials) you'll get hammered badly 9/10 times against the GT-R/TurboS, you will pull on them, but it would take a LONG time to pass....

Here is my old 2012 GT-R (less power) running against my GT from a dig and roll.... my 2012 GT-R ran 11.07 @ 124 MPH, so figure the 2013 would be about 2 cars ahead of the 2012....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL6ljbCwphQ

Nice launch control on that thing, no wheel spin!!!

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
i know this little porsche shocked everyone when it beat Mullet at the roll on race in Dallas...

Mullet is putting down some serious power so this thing is really fast!

[video=youtube;4TrElgIEjws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TrElgIEjws[/video]

check out the side by side starting at about 6:43

[video=youtube;cVfabQF3gCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVfabQF3gCY&feature=related[/video]

pretty impressive

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
A local guy here, Bryant, has a 996 GT2 putting down 1200+whp.. he also runs a UGR TT Gallardo R package (> 1500whp) that pwned everyone at TX2K12.

He said the Porsche 'feels' faster because of the hit, though it's not.

Remember the days when 500bhp was 'a monster'.. LOL

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
First of all I own an 05 FGT with the regular mods and it`s still an animal that I`m still trying to tame.
Now here we go I went for a blast in my buddies Turbo S and this is where the debate with stormcat started
all the respect in the world to him, plus I like him.But i don`t think his or mine and his with all his mods can take a bone stock
Turbo S with PDK in the 1/4 mile.Anyone have any feedback? would be cool. Thanks Mike

Well,, we never talked about a dead stop drag race,, which we are at an obvious disadvatage from the all wheel drive cars.. I still think I can take your buddy on a roll on race,, just set it up.. :biggrin

As I stated.. my car is very quick with the light weight rotational mass package,, I think it would surprise you...:biggrin

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I have a 997.2 PDK with all the same options as the S. The S is just a tune file compared with a normal PDK. When my 997.2 was stock I killed a GT500KR with 725rwhp with drag tires. From a roll a dig and everywhere in-between. And that was stock. I was surprised, the 997 with PDK flies! I just picked up my PDK from EVO with a full upgrade to a EVT 650 with EVT700 turbos. On the street this thing would be hard to beat from a dig or roll. It would take a full mile for a big pwr car to beat. LOVE my PDK!

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
STORMCAT,
You the man.When I make it home I`d bet my buddies Turbo S is gone. And as I recall it was from a dead stop.But it really doesn`t matter
I`m sitting here in this world of shit and all that seemed to come to my mind was going fast then I thought of our conversation, and how lucky we really are
just to be able to have what we have and then argue who has the fastest what ever.I have everything I need and couple of things I want.So all is well with me tonight
we`ll see about tomorrow. MB