Failed California Smog Test

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Failed my first smog test today. They said its due to the catalytic converter needing to re-set. They told me to drive at least 40 miles in low rpms at 65 mpr (no stop and go traffic). I did that and went back. It still didn't re-set. Any suggestions?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
First, make sure you have new gas in the tank. Run it hard, then go back. It most likely has not been run hard for a while.

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Thanks Tim. True, I don't drive it as much as I should. I had 3,500 miles on my 06. I had a low tank this morning and filled her up. I drove about 100 miles and still no luck. I guess I'll keep driving and see what happens.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
One "old school" trick from my friends in Hawaii who failed the first time is to put one quart of isopropyl alcohol in the tank. I've been told it works to pass emissions, but can't vouch for the long term effects.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Do you have a custom pulley/tune?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Do you have an OBDII reader? The CA (like NV) is a OBDII check. First, if you have a check engine light (active code) it will not pass, period. Second, they look for "system readiness". I had been told that CA was going to be an "all ready" state in the next few years, but that right now you should be allowed ONE system not ready [except evap still has to be ready] and still pass. So if you failed either (1) you have another system not ready indicator or (2) the test station didn't do it right. My cat converter is also not ready, and passes in NV.

Also, get your self an OBDII reader. I got a bluetooth one for about $20 from Amazon.com and use a phone app to get the data. At least in NV, you are allowed one free re-test, after which time you have to pay, so get the reader and twiddle until you get all ready (if that is what they require).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Also, according to the drive cycle document, the specific catalyst reset sequence is:

Catalyst 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period.

The complete reset sequence can be found at:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

The instructions say to do a code reset. You should do this with caution. if the code is an evap code, do not clear it otherwise you will have to do the entire system readiness sequence. If you only have one or two not ready systems, drive the specific sequence for them. If you change the tune it will force you to run the entire sequence. Note that P1000 is NOT a code that should be cleared, it is a statement of one or more system not ready indicators.

I got to know way more about emissions testing than I ever wanted to with the GT. With my Cobra I also got a fairly advanced degree in fuel injection controllers.

Last edited:

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I've done no mods to my car. There are no check lights on either. The smog place said that everything passed except for the Cat. Ready. Thanks for the drive cycle reset info. The smog folks told me to drive long and steady. I'll try driving as you said. If that doesn't work, I'll be back asking for further help. Thanks Tony!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You must have recently had a dead battery??? Clearing codes with an OBD2 tool or changing the battery, or a very, very low battery are the ways in which the CAT monitor will get reset. Instead of wasting time going back to the SMOG station, just get yourself an OBD2 tool that includes status of the monitors. With the tool you can drive around and you can see when the CATALYST monitor gets set.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You must have recently had a dead battery??? Clearing codes with an OBD2 tool or changing the battery, or a very, very low battery are the ways in which the CAT monitor will get reset. Instead of wasting time going back to the SMOG station, just get yourself an OBD2 tool that includes status of the monitors. With the tool you can drive around and you can see when the CATALYST monitor gets set.

I still don't see why if the only not ready was the catalyst, and you can pass (according to EPA) with one red, I don't know why it didn't pass. That us, unless California has gone to the all ready method. I think it should have passed that way.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
It's rediculous for sure. I've driven 250 miles and still have 2 open issues. Evap and Cat.
Does the amount of gas in your tank have any relevance to passing the Evap?

Sorry for highjacking

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I first brought it in with a low gas tank. I filled her up to drive it around as instructed. When I brought it back for the re-test it had a full tank and still failed.

I'm going to drive it around for a few days and see what happens. Besides it gives me a good excuse to enjoy one of my favorite cars!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's rediculous for sure. I've driven 250 miles and still have 2 open issues. Evap and Cat.
Does the amount of gas in your tank have any relevance to passing the Evap?

Sorry for highjacking

Yes, the amount of gas will be a factor, 1/2 - 3/4 full. Also, ambient temperature. See the OBDII drive cycle page - it says 40-100*F. It's hard to get the evap to clear in the summer in Vegas.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Fkng evap

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I still don't see why if the only not ready was the catalyst, and you can pass (according to EPA) with one red, I don't know why it didn't pass. That us, unless California has gone to the all ready method. I think it should have passed that way.

Now that CA has gone to the OBD2 only test (no dyno), ALL monitors must be set. There *may* be some type of provisional exception for EVAP since EVAP will often require and overnight shutdown. The OEM EVAP test relies on a temperature differential for it to determine delta pressure in a presumably sealed vessel. Vegas shouldn't be THAT hard to get an successful EVAP test - assuming that night time temps are at least below those baking daytime temps. :)

06FordGTH50

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2016
06 GT not passing Smog Test

Having the same issues here with my 06 Ford GT. First wasn't passing the eVap or the CAT Monitor. Low mileage car so I drove it a good amount per a lot of the suggestions here, still no use. Then after seeing a Smog Referee I found out I had to take it in to an authorized Ford dealer for testing - weeks later of them running drive cycles and looking into it they still can't get it to pass the CAT test. Any suggestions? How did you end anyone else get it to pass (aside from driving it)?

Thank you!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Having the same issues here with my 06 Ford GT. First wasn't passing the eVap or the CAT Monitor. Low mileage car so I drove it a good amount per a lot of the suggestions here, still no use. Then after seeing a Smog Referee I found out I had to take it in to an authorized Ford dealer for testing - weeks later of them running drive cycles and looking into it they still can't get it to pass the CAT test. Any suggestions? How did you end anyone else get it to pass (aside from driving it)?

Thank you!

Is your car factory or have you a third party pulley and tune?

06FordGTH50

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2016
Is your car factory or have you a third party pulley and tune?

Hey Tony, it's factory. Any insight/advice appreciated. Thanks!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hey Tony, it's factory. Any insight/advice appreciated. Thanks!

The query about pulley/tune was that some of them disable some of the sensors so those systems will never come ready. It would not apply here.

The only advice I can give is to drive it per the sequence to clear it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you have an OBD2 Data Logger you can log upstream and downstream O2 sensors to see if they're working.