Excitement Of The Week – Really NOT Funny

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I continue to tell people, that we live in the most northern portion of Mexico out here in the Texas Hill Country.

Yesterday starts out as a nice December Texas day. It’s sunny, about 70f degrees, so I decide to go out and do some fence repair work that I have been putting off for a while. I’m in the brush on the fence line working on a segment of the fence that the deer have pushed loose, the dogs start barking [they go with me when out working] I look up and there is a young man heading towards me. Took me by surprise being I had my back towards him as he came up from behind. Startled, I asked “Can I help you?” he said he was lost and not from this area, then started in with some cock and bull story about him and his partner had been camping, got drunk, and fell asleep in some woods upstream from our place. He was without a shirt and was soaking wet head to toe, said that he had slipped and fell in the creek. I knew that the story was BS being there are no woods up stream from us, only range land running cattle and a few ranch houses. Why would he be trying to get back to town by hiking down through a creek bottom and not up on the road?

As a side note, I did not have my gun with me. I carry it when out working for protection against snakes; it is winter and snakes in these parts are not out much this time of year, so no gun with me on this day. All I had was a set of fence pliers; they are actually a pretty nasty tool with a hammer on one side and a good sized hook on the other.

While this guy was talking his BS, I am looking him over pretty good [checking for weapons and could see he had none] and I decided to get him out of here pronto. Showed him where and how to get to the road, and off he goes. Within 5 minutes of his departure a police helicopter shows up over head.

This is a very unusual thing out in this area [police don’t come out to heard cattle] so I knew something was up. Told the wife to call 911 and find out if they were looking for someone in this area, they said yes. Wife told them that we had seen the suspect a few minutes earlier. Soon a herd of police, sheriffs, and marshals swooped down on our ranch. Told them which way he went, and off they go with a couple of the officers staying with us so as to not be alone in case he doubled back. The Manhunt Is On!! Heat sensing detectors in the helicopter are giving a lot of false detections due to all of the livestock and deer out here.

In talking to the sheriff I am told that 2 men had perpetrated an armed home invasion up the road about 5 miles from us and the owner shot back disabling the perp’s car as they tried to get away and they took off on foot.

End of the day the authorities finally did get the guy that came through our place, but the other one is still at large an has not been caught. Needless to say we are on guard, armed, and ready if need be.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Wow. If that had been me, I think I would need an extra does of my blood pressure medicine. I think I would be carrying all the time, not just in summer. Some snakes have two legs. Glad you are OK and hope they catch his partner soon and let you know.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Interesting story, glad the outcome was not bad for you. Guess you'll always keep your gun with you now.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Be safe, my Friend. It is becoming a more and more dangerous world by the day.

An loaded gun is like a parachute.........unlikely you will ever need one but when the need arises, without it you'll be in a bind.......

ben

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Moral of the experience: When working 'way out yonder' whether alone or with somebody, ALWAYS 'carry'.

Period.

These days one just never knows...

'Happy to know you 'lucked out'!!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
This why I carry 24/7

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Moral of the experience: When working 'way out yonder' whether alone or with somebody, ALWAYS 'carry'.

Period.

These days one just never knows...

'Happy to know you 'lucked out'!!!
I wish I could. In Cali only DF can carry.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

One of the only benefits of the Central Valley. I just renewed my CCW.

Spirit. Scary brush with danger. Glad he decided to run instead of hanging around.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Very happy to hear you and yours are here to enjoy the holidays. I'm confident you have a clear handle on how you will continue to conduct your business.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Hope the GT is safe! LOL

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

One of the only benefits of the Central Valley. I just renewed my CCW.

Spirit. Scary brush with danger. Glad he decided to run instead of hanging around.

Clinton, what is keeping you from doing what Ed is doing?

What is DF?

Spirit, glad all worked out okay

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Clinton, what is keeping you from doing what Ed is doing?

What is DF?

Spirit, glad all worked out okay

I have buy a "residence" far away from where I am. Probably more then 200 miles and convince the local sheriff of that.

photo.jpg

Dianne-feinstein.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wow, good thing you are a suspicious looking character yourself. You probably looked more like a ranch hand than the owner. Glad for you Fred. I just got my CCW in Illinois, the last state in the Uniion to allow.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Wow, good thing you are a suspicious looking character yourself. You probably looked more like a ranch hand than the owner. Glad for you Fred. I just got my CCW in Illinois, the last state in the Uniion to allow.
Is it valid in Chicago?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, BUT, certain municipalities can ban guns just as certain businesses can ban carry inside. There is a safe harbor law for parking lots. As long as you leave it in the car, you're OK; however, it now shows up on my drivers license so if I'm stopped, they can ask if I'm carrying.

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
I have buy a "residence" far away from where I am. Probably more then 200 miles and convince the local sheriff of that.

photo.jpg

Dianne-feinstein.jpg

Clinton,

I've been told that it is a misdemeanor to have a concealed weapon in California (assuming you're not a felon, etc). I always thought it was a felony, but a legal friend says otherwise. Also, I believe if you do have a concealed weapons permit, it is only for that gun that you have it registered to....if you own more than 1 pistol and want to carry different guns for whatever reason, you need multiple permits. It really has gotten crazy.

Having a permit also opens you up to legal issues if you have to use your weapon in self defense....God forbid if you don't follow every rule per the permits legalities.

Not having a permit might be the way to go and take your chances.....if you really need a gun to defend yourself or family, do you really care if you're breaking a minor law??

Cheers,
George

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Scary story you were very lucky especially since the guy was not armed. In todays world you are always at risk anywhere you are, sad but true

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
DF.....I get it now.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Wow, glad you and your family are OK. I get why you were not carrying, the same things happens to me as I'm very comfortable where I live and never think I'll need it. Interesting side note, my wife and I have spent the last few years traveling the country in a coach visiting most every state. Came to the conclusion that for the most part where my CCW permit is valid and I'm legal to carry I really didn't need to and as we would enter states and cities where we most wanted to carry we couldn't ie. Ca NY Il etc. The only real exception being Detroit as I believe even nuns and 1st graders are legally packing in that place.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I believe even nuns and 1st graders are legally packing in that place (Detroit).

Uh - no...that would more likely be the case in Kennesaw, GA...unless you meant "illegally"...? :wink