Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im not there emotionally to even consider owning a car with a battery that does anything more than start my IC engine. I know..... its the "future"...... Im stuck in the past..... and ok with that.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I can't even accept the name "Taycan."

Reactions: steved57

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Wifey and I are still "on the list" for one at our local Porsche dealer...but, given what's known about the production car to this point, it looks as though we may as well not be.

If Porsche had just left the concept car alone design-wise all would be fine...but they didn't. Just the fact the suicide rear doors didn't make it into production is pretty much a deal killer for me all by itself. But, if the four racing-style buckets and full-length console have disappeared as well, then, looks-wise anyway, the Taycan truly will be just another four door car in a sea of many 'far as I'm concerned.

THIS is how the Taycan ought to look:

Related image

Reactions: Awsum GT

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I already removed my name from the list and received my deposit back... The car changed too much from the show car... sad they always do this!

Reactions: Empty Pockets

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
There is always the Town Car with the suicide doors. If the Porsche doesn't do that for you. lol

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
A friend of mine working at the design department at BMW once told me „don‘t fall in love with a concept car“ ;) when seeing the concept I was sure, the suicide doors (missing b cellar) wouldn‘t make it for safety reasons.

I agree with your comments. I find the price a bit over the top, but hey it is the first one from Porsche and it seems to do a lot of things right. Big fan for Tesla being the first doing a lot things right. However having had too many discussions with people in design and engineering I see how much time and thought has been invested in clearances, fitment of body panels as well as material quality for the interior, this wasn‘t where Tesla was winning.

Let’s see what the next big production electric will be, if Porsche proves it works for its specific brand it is going to work for other brands as well.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There is always the Town Car with the suicide doors. If the Porsche doesn't do that for you. lol

Apples and ox carts, '007! ;-)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Car looks great inside and out. Love the interior. Much more faithful than I would have expected. It will be a major hit. Will definitely get one eventually. Stupid name and wish they didn't use Turbo nomenclature.

Reactions: ByeEnzo and Ed Sims

F430spider

Oct 18, 2010
NyC!
I think Tesla will have the "Smart" portion locked up with updates and support - plus the scary part of this thing is going to be the INSANE deprecation curve!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I’m on the list locally but will wait to see it in the flesh. Maybe wait for first year bugs to be ironed out. Had a P85 Tesla S for over 5 years.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Wifey and I are still "on the list" for one at our local Porsche dealer...but, given what's known about the production car to this point, it looks as though we may as well not be.

If Porsche had just left the concept car alone design-wise all would be fine...but they didn't. Just the fact the suicide rear doors didn't make it into production is pretty much a deal killer for me all by itself. But, if the four racing-style buckets and full-length console have disappeared as well, then, looks-wise anyway, the Taycan truly will be just another four door car in a sea of many 'far as I'm concerned.

THIS is how the Taycan ought to look:

Related image
Be happy they got rid of the rear suicide doors. Having owned a vehicle with them, the rear seats are impossible to get into unless you are parallel parking. I got rid of mine primarily because of the rear suicide doors. In normal parking lots like Walmart and grocery stores, you have to constantly open and close the rear door and then squeeze between the front and rear doors to get your multiple grocery bags in the rear seat area. Most of these configurations require the front door to be opened before you can open the rear door. You end up getting trapped between the open front door and the rear door and the car parked next to you. Absolutely hated this configuration.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Back when wifey and I signed up for what was then the "Mission e", I mentioned to our sales gal ("Daria") that we would definitely be buying one IF the bean counters didn't eliminate (1) the suicide rear doors (2) the four racing buckets (3) the full-length center council, and (4) the 'B' pillar-free hardtop look of yore...IOW, if the car wasn't messed with in any major way. We really loved the looks of the concept car 'as it was'.

A few months ago, I learned the first thing Porsche did was get rid of the suicide doors...'major downer...but, I figured if the car still had the rest of the aforementioned features I/we might still be okay with it.

Well, obviously the rest of the features are now gone, too. So, the car is now pretty much just another 4-door sedan among a sea of 4-door sedans looks-wise as far as wifey and I are concerned.

That being the case, on the way home from breakfast this morning, we stopped by the dealership and had our names removed from their list.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Be happy they got rid of the rear suicide doors. Having owned a vehicle with them, the rear seats are impossible to get into unless you are parallel parking. I got rid of mine primarily because of the rear suicide doors. In normal parking lots like Walmart and grocery stores, you have to constantly open and close the rear door and then squeeze between the front and rear doors to get your multiple grocery bags in the rear seat area. Most of these configurations require the front door to be opened before you can open the rear door. You end up getting trapped between the open front door and the rear door and the car parked next to you. Absolutely hated this configuration.

We wouldn't have been affected by the scenarios you mentioned, Awsum! Groceries always go in the TRUNK and transporting rear seat passengers happens too seldom to mention. And both of us avoid 'angle' and/or 'side-by-side' parking like the plague... ;-)

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Will definitely get one eventually. Stupid name and wish they didn't use Turbo nomenclature.
You should hold out for a potential Taycan Nitrous edition. It would probably still be slower than a Tesla though.

Reactions: 2112