Estimated Price of GTs after production ends 8-06

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Interested in what GT owners think their prize investiment, the Ford GT, will be worth in 1-2 years post end of production in 8-06?

My impression is that these GTs are so awesome and advanced in design and technology, the price will increase yearly.

Who has a crytsal ball ? :biggrin

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Priceless!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
fjpikul

Gve me a $ amount! 1 million or higher?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't have an honest opinion. Low mileage, clean cars will always keep their value, but no crystal ball here. Based on what some dealers seem to think, and depending on if the rumors are true about Ford closing SVT, I think prices will remain the same but not rise.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Why would you think they would "increase yearly" ?

There is no precedent I can recall for low production unique cars increasing in price immediately after production ends When production ends, the hype abates, the cars are then used and (possibly) some other new hype car comes along. Certainly Panteras didn't, the Countach didn't, Cobras didn't, the original style Vipers didn't., Boras and Mereks disn't. That silly Prowler certainly didn't.

The increase in the "value" of such cars comes many years later and , in large part as an aspect of inflation. I bought my new unsold 74 Pantera new in 1975 for 10K. Its worth maybe 20-25 now. I think the value is more in the lack of depreciation as compared to "normal cars" but if upside is the goal Im sure thare are better although less exciting vehicles ( ones without wheels) .

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
When production ends the price of these cars will contiune to drop. There are just way to many unsold GT's still out there that will find their way into the market over the next 3-4 years after August 2006. Coupled with a 4000 unit production run, they aren't/won't be that hard to find when this car turns into old hat in 2007. The low point for prices will be 2009-2011, and I wouldn't be suprised to see examples moving for $100,000 during those years.

Disclaimer, just my prediction:
Around 2009 a majority of the 3 year warranty/new exotic flash buyers + people who financed a GT will probably want to get out of it. Then the serious enthusiast type buyers (those who will probably never let this car go)will step in and the available cars will start drying up. This is a very collectible car because of the nature of it's production (the only Ford exotic produced since the GT40) and what it represents by it's heritage.
End prediction disclaimer.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I agree for the most part with 50, but I think it'll be a long time before you see 100k for a mint version of one. Look how long it took the 360 to get there, and those change hands much more frequently than these will.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
50 BMG said:
When production ends the price of these cars will contiune to drop. There are just way to many unsold GT's still out there that will find their way into the market over the next 3-4 years after August 2006.[/I]

hope so! then I'll still have a chance to get one! :biggrin

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I would agree with Dr. Harms, "50", and DBK. Over the years I have bought a number of "collectable" cars, only to see most depreciate. In fact, that was ok by me, as I bought the cars not for their investment value, but because I liked the cars, and even tho' I lost money (financially), I enjoyed each car. Once in a while you luck out, like I have with my 64 Cobra, but that's rare. I've seen the value of my Lotus Elises drop over the last 12 months, but that is ok as well, as they are keepers. The same holds true for my GT. I have no plans to sell it, and I am not concerned as to whether it increases or decreases in price, as I am pleased to have one and I am simply enjoying the fact that it even sits in my garage. If you do want to protect your investment, there is a simple way of doing that, and that is just to hang onto the car and don't sell it. Once supply dries up, as it surely will, the prices will find their natural level. The worst thing that any GT buyer could do would be to believe in a quick increase in value, or worse yet, turn around and sell the car in the near future for a small loss. If you want to hurt the overall market, simply sell before the right time. In the meantime, enjoy the car for what it is. If you bought it for investment purposes, you probably should have looked elsewhere for to make a quick buck. My prediction (all other things being equal), hold onto the car for at least 10 years and you might see a return. Altho' 4000 cars will make the GT less than exotic from a numbers standpoint, it'll always have a following and it'll certainly always have a demand by buyers. (This will certainly be true when compared to such cars as the Z06, which is a wonderful car, but it will never be realy ever rare. On the other hand, I'm sure there are a number of Z06 buyers who could care less, as I'm sure they're enjoying their cars just like we're enjoying ours...)

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Value

I agree with the consensus: The prices will continue to drop over the next few years. 4000 cars isn't super unique, and there are still quite a few in dealer's showrooms that will slowly move over time.
I really can't recall any new car that appreciated in value, except for the 360's (especially the Spider) that went up. Now, the Ferrari dealers can sell them over MSRP, so I believe that they (the 430's) will also drop.
Unless someone buys a GT, hermetically seals it and puts on no miles, don't buy a GT for investment purposes. Buy it to drive it and enjoy it!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I agree with everyone (so, maybe no reason to add my 2 cents?).

I think some people buy cars because they are 'supposed" to become collectable. The problem is that most things that actually do become "collectable" never started out that way. When they do, it typically takes years. I remember in 1969 when we talked that my 63 Corvette would become an item because of the only year with the split window. I think I sold it in 1970 for $1,350.00. Well, 35 YEARS LATER, oops. Maufactured collectables (like Franklin Mint stuff) never does become desireable because there is too much and too many people speculating (collecting state quarters, are we?). I am sure the new Shelby's will be good eventually, again maybe in another 30 years. Even though the GTs 4000 units is a lot, the main advantage the cars have is that there will not be a newer one to outdate it like there will always be a newer Corvette. Even if Ford does another, it is the classic shape that was the hit. The GT-90 and the others just didn't hit the mark.

Some buyers are therefore trying to recapture what happened to the muscle cars. But do you think anyone who bought a new Z-28 in 1969 or bought a Challenger ever thought they would be zillion dollar cars? I sat in a Challenger TA around 1970-71 that I was considering buying, looked at all of the plastic, and said "what a piece of cr*p". Did wind up buying a "normal" 70 Barracuda for a whole $975.00. Remember racing (no, not with the Barracuda) against Roadrunners, Hemi GTXs, Z-28s, Ss-396s, 427 Covettes, and even a 66-67 style SS-427 Chevelle (only 427 one I ever saw). They were just new rocket cars, but just another new car in a sense (the competition was the blown Willys pickup, the 427 55 Chevy, etc). Never ever gave a thought that some of them may become half-million dollar cars (or in the case of the 427 Cobra, better yet). WOW. As we all know, hindsight is perfect.

I think in the short term, when production stops the new cars at the dealers will go up. After all, the dealers are in the business to make a profit. many will take the attitude that it will eventually sell - which it will. I guess, just from the business side, if I had a new one in the dealership I would go ahead and pay for it at the base cost, and then let it sit. So what if it takes a year, you could still probably make 50 percent on your money.

For my crystal ball, it is a little hazey. Obviously, I hope they don't go down a lot in value. But I also don't car. It is the first expensive car I have had in the garage that it doesn't bother me that it just sits (others I was too worried about the depreciation). As someone already said, just that fact it is in the garage puts a smile on my face :biggrin

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I agree with you very much AZGT. Whilst we'd all like to think we've done something terribly smart by buying a car we love AND that it will go up in value (which is exactly what I told my wife) - the truth is that cars are depreciating assets. Once in a while you get lucky - however I have my investments in other things, not cars.

I also reckon that the GT is an enthusiasts car (more than most) and that sentiment has been mentioned here many times. I would suspect that most here would be very upset to sell their GT - it's an icon, a dream.

It's strange with cars, so many people get worked up about their financial value - which of course I understand - but that robs you of the pleasure a little I feel as it would nibble away at you.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
dealer

I agree with everything AZGT said except for one thing. I don't think the dealers will mark it up more after production ceases. If you look at GT Prices.com, there are still tons of vehicle just sitting in Ford Show rooms taking up space and collecting dust (and draining the batteries). Even at MSRP, the dealer's making a small mint compared to the profit of a Taurus.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
This thread will be fun to read in six months to a year from now. :biggrin

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
rsilverman said:
I agree with everything AZGT said except for one thing. I don't think the dealers will mark it up more after production ceases. If you look at GT Prices.com, there are still tons of vehicle just sitting in Ford Show rooms taking up space and collecting dust (and draining the batteries). Even at MSRP, the dealer's making a small mint compared to the profit of a Taurus.

I agree there are a lot still available, but we both know that all of the people that will buy the car will not search them out, look at GT prices, etc. I still continue to hear (from non-owners) how they hear there is a waiting list, that the markups are high, that they are rare, they have never seen one, etc. So if that is what people typically hear, and then the car is ceasing, I think a number of people WILL step up and pay over MSRP. More than one of has said that by the time you are ready to put up your money to take the plunge, who really cares about a couple (or in some cases several) thousand dollars. On a 20K car that's too much - on a 160K car, it's not much at all.

The other side of show room sitters is that I would imagine a dealer doesn't mind having one on hand - they are still a good draw. Cheap advertisement in a sense to pull in the crowd that can't afford the GT to go for the Shelby, etc - trickle down sales. The dealers are probably also not cars guys like us, so if they see dollars in the future of the car, why not hold on. Their cost is a whole lot less than ours, and it would be some time before they would loose money. Besides, I would bet that a lot of the "dealer inventory" is being carried on the inventory for insurance and plates reasons, but I'd bet that a good portion of those cars are in fact not for sale. I know (or let's say I have heard) that two of the GTs here are owned by the dealership principals. I doubt they would title them for a number of reasons. I'll bet you can't buy either one for MSRP or even above.

Obviously, this is only spec. If I was smarter (wow, had spelled smarter wrong - proves I'm not) and knew, I would sure invest better and buy a second GT (any of your rich guys out there that don't have any kids - I'm available for adoption :lol )

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Gulf GT said:
This thread will be fun to read in six months to a year from now. :biggrin

We should have a pool of some kind - place your bet, closest wins.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I think the BIG question is, how many guys are out there that have been waiting for sticker prices? Now that it's at or just below sticker they are starting to move quicker, but are there enough buyers to sell them at the current price? Probably not. There is still near 1/3 of the production yet to be sold. It appears at this time that prices will unfortunately have to go well below sticker to sell all the cars. For the dealers to raise the prices in the end, there must be more buyers than cars to produce a "feeding frenzy". Although one day this may happen, we are no where near that day with only a few months till production ceases. It just doesn't appear at this time that the selling price that will provide the momentum to surpass the supply side of the equation has occurred yet. At the time production ends, prices will be a little below sticker, then most likely level off with an unusually slow movement down due to the unique sitaution surrounding this particular car.

Last edited:

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Prices

Gulf, I'm agreeing with you 100%. Just too many sitting around, time will tell.
As an owner, I hope the prices keep going up and up (sorry, prospective buyers). But, when I bought it I expected it to de-value - I can live with that.
Rob

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In the short term, I think we will see MSRP and maybe still MSRP+ at least over the summer. With summer coming and combined with the ending of production, I think there is sufficient "hype" and good weather to keep the prices up. Also keep in mind that the most visible selling prices (Ebay) are probably amoung the lowest and it really isn't the best gauge for determing the selling point the cars are at. Galpin Ford in Van Nuys (the largest volume Ford dealer in the world accoding to them) reminded me a few times that they had a striped Tungsten car coming in. It arrived and was put in their showroom last week. I asked them to give me a specific "best price" and they said $20K over. I happened by there this past weekend and the car was gone. The GM told me that they had "easily" received the $20K over. While I don't think this price is representative of what others are paying, it is a reminder that, when seen in person, it can become a very emotional purchase. Keep in mind that at nearly this same time, identical Tungsten cars sold on Ebay for slightly under MSRP.

I believe the best values for people still wanting to buy will be this Fall/Winter. The Western states are enjoying higher selling prices and lower inventories. (This is my observation from cars.com and autotrader.com) When summer is at its end, there will be many dealers in states where sports cars are stored for a number of months that will be reluctant to "carry" the car over the winter. The best case for current owners will be that the dealership inventory is depleted by end of summer 2007, and values will presumably edge up.... maybe up to sticker-like prices in 5-7 years??? A lot will also depend on how many existing owners are flipping to something else.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
There are all kinds of buyers for the GT. Well over 50% I would imagine are in it for the short period before the next greatest thing comes along. This will ensure a supply for those interested in buying one for some time with depreciating values. Its value will continue to decrease until enough are smashed up, disappearing form the market place and when a few crazy fools decide they want one really bad and pay an unreasonable price for it. Interesting the enzo keeps going up in value and the carrera gt is tumbling in price. Better car? The reason the enzo is going up is because the next buyer is willing to pay more and the limited number almost guarantees the trend will continue because it has now established itself as an investment. All other "common" Ferraris have depreciate after some time because the next model is better and affordable so you get rid of the old one. It is without a doubt that the gt will be a valuable commodity at some point but it may take a long time I am afraid. In the mean time I think I will go rack up a few more miles. SEE YAH.

Last edited: