Engine and Intercooler Radiator Air Bleed Lines Installed

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I drained and refilled my GT engine and intercooler coolant systems. The Airlift vacuum/refill tool does a good job of evacuating the air from the system. However, it still leaves 15% of the air in the system, based on the Ideal Gas Law, PV=nRT. At my altitude of 2000 feet above sea level, the atmospheric pressure is 27.8” Hg. The Airlift draws a vacuum of 24” Hg (at sea level of 29.9” Hg, it should draw a vacuum of 26’ Hg). Given that V=Volume, R=Gas Constant, T=Temp stay the same before and after evacuation, the variables are P=Pressure and n=Amount of Air. So….. n1/P1=V/RT and n2/P2=V/RT. V/RT is equal in both cases so….. n1/P1=n2/P2. Therefore…… n2=n1P2/P1. Given this last equation, the amount of air left in the system is proportional to the before and after pressure in the system. So…… P2/P1 = (27.8-24)/27.8 = 13.7 percent air left in the system. This is important, since both the engine and intercooler radiators, for some reason, locate the inlet on top and outlet on bottom. As a result of the top in, bottom out flow, some of the air remaining in each system most likely will get trapped in each radiator. Although, if people are not having overheat problems, maybe it does not matter, until that hot summer day sitting in traffic. Or, it is possible the flow velocities are high enough to carry the air out. The OEM air bleed petcock on the intercooler radiator will bleed the air, but it is not readily accessible with the front fascia installed. The OEM air bleed petcock tabs on the engine radiator are so long that they hit the radiator hose; therefore it can barely be loosened.

To remedy this bleed issue, I installed a readily accessible bleed line on each radiator. I had removed both fenders to replace the windshield, so removing the front fascia at this point was simple. To easily bleed the radiators at any time, I just loosen or open the degas bottle cap and open the now readily accessible bleed caps to vent the air. See Pics attached. It is so easy to bleed the air that I did not use the Airlift refill evac tool to refill either systems. Pouring in the coolant with the air bleeds open was easier. It does take awhile to gravity refill, however.

I very carefully measured the coolant removed and replaced. In addition to draining from both radiator drain cocks, I disconnected hoses and removed the engine drain plugs in order to be sure everything was empty. I even tipped the car to empty the horizontal tubes. I removed 4.7 gallons from the engine system and 1.7 gallons from the intercooler system. The engine took 5.0 gallons and the intercooler took 2.0 gallons to refill. Could the additional amount required to refill be due to air trapped in the radiators? Very possible.

Material List of Parts - Earls Performance Items
3 - 600133ERL – Hose End, Straight
1 - 609033ERL – Hose End, 90 Degree
2 - SS981603ERL – 1/8NPT to 3AN Adapter, Straight, Stainless
1 - 6100031ERL – 3AN PTFE Stainless Braid Hose
2 – SS983203ERL – 3AN Bulkhead Fitting, Stainless
1 – SS592403ERL – 3AN Bulkhead Nut Stainless, Pair
1 – 592903ERL – 3AN Cap, Pair

Attachments

• 20191209_102830.jpg
    20191209_102830.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20191209_102937.jpg
    20191209_102937.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20191218_135105.jpg
    20191218_135105.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 20200101_165338.jpg
    20200101_165338.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 58

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Impressive mate!

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I used the airlift vac too but before building vacuum raised the car at the rear to drain as much fluid from the front radiators. There are also two plugs at the base of the engine which can drained more coolant albeit small quantity. My car does not run hot with the Torrie tune adjustment of fan activation. Most of us will not have the time or opportunity to dismantle the fenders and front bumper cover to rework the bleed. Great idea you came up with however.

Reactions: tmcphail

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If I remember correctly, the GT experts here, suggest against this, as they are very hard to get out, (needs heat at a minimum).

There are also two plugs at the base of the engine which can drained more coolant albeit small quantity.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
very nice job... need more posts like this..

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Cool improvement.

Question; would it work even better if the lines ran upward, terminating at a point higher than the radiator, say in the frunk?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Question; would it work even better if the lines ran upward, terminating at a point higher than the radiator, say in the frunk?
Good question. I looked everywhere for a higher point. Nothing conveniently available. Also, it might be messy with the anti-freeze dribbling while venting. Down low does a good job of venting the air and it is a nice spot to place a pan under.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i used that same area to mount my magnetic trickle charger port

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
i used that same area to mount my magnetic trickle charger port

I never heard of these, just looked them up.
Are you happy with it?
Do the contacts remain energized?
Where did you buy it?
Thanks

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I never heard of these, just looked them up.
Are you happy with it?
Do the contacts remain energized?
Where did you buy it?
Thanks

i have installed one in every car I own except for the daily drivers... very reliable and easy to install and all around a great solution for keeping the battery charged..

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Nice work.. I've been using this method for 10 years now since i built my GT. works great too and dont need to vac the system down..

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ed, late to this thread since I was away from the Forum for a few months whilst moving from Right Coast to Left Coast. I'm in Kalama, WA now. I'd like to see it at some point.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Impressive!
Good for you.
My Best,
Mark

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Ed, late to this thread since I was away from the Forum for a few months whilst moving from Right Coast to Left Coast. I'm in Kalama, WA now. I'd like to see it at some point.
I get over to the west side for car shows a time or two each each year, exept this year, virus has stopped most shows. Stop by the dry sunny side of the state anytime. It's all back together after winter maintenance and refresh. New show room condition, but with 20,000 miles.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ed, I should get to the other side of the Cascades. It's been one of the wettest Junes on record in the Vancouver/Portland area, and we still have a week of June to go. As you know, most of the car shows around here have been canceled or postponed. I'm hoping some C&C's get going again in the fall.

FYI, the World of Speed museum in Tualatin closed, and not just for the virus. It was struggling financially for the past few years, and the closing due to the virus finished it off. They used to host a pretty good C&C.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
the World of Speed museum in Tualatin closed, and not just for the virus. It was struggling financially for the past few years, and the closing due to the virus finished it off.
Don't like to see these things happening.