Electric trailer dolly for maneuvering in tight spaces?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Maybe this is arcane/obscure enough to be a new topic? :lol I want to store my Trailex trailer in my steel building, but there is no way I can get it in with my tow car (unless I clear about 30 feet of native Florida jungle). Does anyone have experience with a trailer dolly? Recommendations for something that will handle a 2k lb trailer and also be cheap? :biggrin I'll need motorized because the trailer will have to be pushed up a small ramp into the building.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Do you have a 4-wheeler with a hitch ball? I used to use my Grizzly 450 for that. It could handle the tongue weight, but I guess it would depend on how much of an incline you have.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A cheep John Deere lawn tractor with the cutter taken off works for me. Add a hitch ball on the rear raised up 32 " on a piece of angle iron. Has low enough gear to pull my Trailex trailer in and out of my Building with ease. You can pick up old lawn tractors very cheap at least here in Texas. 4 wheelers are too expensive for this task in my book unless you have use for it hunting.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Xcentric,

I don't know if they have a model for trailers but look up aero-tow.com. Or google "little Sherman". They make aircraft tugs that are used to maneuver heavy aircraft into hangers and tight spaces. All electric and very powerful. Would easily handle the weight of a Trailex. I used one for years to hanger my Cirrus.

Chip

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Go to your local Wallymart and borrow their shopping cart "tug"..................... :biggrin

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I use a forklift we have, thread a trailer ball into one of the forks. Not helpful I know, as I bet you don't have the space for a forklift....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I use a forklift we have, thread a trailer ball into one of the forks. Not helpful I know, as I bet you don't have the space for a forklift....

A lot of boat garages and repair facilities use this approach. It's a convenient method, and also can be used for many other handy purposes (loading, unloading, pallet movement, storage at high locations, etc). If I had a choice, I'd use the fork lift - cheap to run on a propane tank, and versatile.

Should be able to find a used one on eBay or elsewhere.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Is there any way you can configure a tow hitch receiver to the FRONT of your tow vehicle? I've seen this many times - when you simply un-hitch, spin the tow vehicle around, re-hitch and wa-la! You can push the trailer with a LOT of maneuverability with the steering wheels so close to the pivot point.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I have used the front bumper with great success also.

But the forklift gives you another helpful tool in the garage!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Use it for all kinds of things. We got ours for free. It leaks a bit, had to put some $ in to it, but runs great. Great tool to have.

Should be able to find a used one on eBay or elsewhere.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Why can't you just back it into the garage-stall using the vehicle you normally use to tow?

ajb (andy)

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
Maybe this is arcane/obscure enough to be a new topic? :lol I want to store my Trailex trailer in my steel building, but there is no way I can get it in with my tow car (unless I clear about 30 feet of native Florida jungle). Does anyone have experience with a trailer dolly? Recommendations for something that will handle a 2k lb trailer and also be cheap? :biggrin I'll need motorized because the trailer will have to be pushed up a small ramp into the building.

www.powercaster.com is the one I'd recommend but they are not cheap. Look for a used one on craigslist or ebay.

Cheers,
George

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Lots of options here. Thank you all. It seems the dedicated trailer dollys may not work well with tandem axles, which do not like extremely sharp turns...tire scrub and strong push back against the dolly. And, it needs enough power to push up a 4" rise over 2'. A fork lift is out. A used lawn tractor seemed like a good option, except I can't find any here. I can weld a receiver on the front of my Xterra. I like that idea. However, that will still require some jungle clearing, and maybe some additional asphalt laying. Nothing is easy, but an interesting challenge. I'm fortunate to have a 31' x 36' steel building already installed. Oh...I have to turn the 7' door into 8' as well.

p2103198396-5.jpg

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Lots of options here. Thank you all. It seems the dedicated trailer dollys may not work well with tandem axles, which do not like extremely sharp turns...tire scrub and strong push back against the dolly. And, it needs enough power to push up a 4" rise over 2'. A fork lift is out. A used lawn tractor seemed like a good option, except I can't find any here. I can weld a receiver on the front of my Xterra. I like that idea. However, that will still require some jungle clearing, and maybe some additional asphalt laying. Nothing is easy, but an interesting challenge. I'm fortunate to have a 31' x 36' steel building already installed. Oh...I have to turn the 7' door into 8' as well.

great problem to have - wish I had this problem................... looks better than Va.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now that I can actually see the whole situation you're dealing with, my suggestion would be to simply add some blacktop...if the grassy area in the foreground of the photo is yours, that is. No, it wouldn't be the cheapest solution, but, over time, it'd sure be the all-around best one from the standpoint of NOT having to screw around. 'No need to store whatever 'power dolly' you might come up with...no need to detach tow rig "A" from trailer "B" and hook up 'push rig' "C" - and then detach and store the 'dolly' when you're done. 'Just drive up, swing the tow rig and trailer around, back in, and you're done. 'Piece of cake.

Seriously, that's the only way to go from a simplicity standpoint.

Slacker Pockets

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
EP probably has some very good advice. I don't know anyone that has more experience with garages and trailers. :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yeah...EP's advice is actually where I started before looking for other options. The problem is there are some nice old oak and pine trees that might have to go. Still, that may be the best solution. And, I'll get a few years of firewood out of it. :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Firewood? In FLORIDA?????

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Firewood? In FLORIDA?????

Of course! Sometimes it actually gets into the 30s. Burrrrr.