Driver door hanging low?

SRG.GT

work hard--play hard
Mar 12, 2009
Hudson, Wi.
Hello all. New member here. Has anyone had a low hanging door on their gal? I have alot of slop on the driver door (lifts up and down, when opened, about 1/2" or more). Wondering if the housing is wore or the pins need replacing. Any thoughts?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have definitely never experienced this in a GT. I would pm thegtguy. Any details on the car and when it was built?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hello all. New member here. Has anyone had a low hanging door on their gal? I have alot of slop on the driver door (lifts up and down, when opened, about 1/2" or more). Wondering if the housing is wore or the pins need replacing. Any thoughts?

How about lose (missing?) hinge bolts? It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon for the pins to have worn out ...even if the car's serial # is "1" and there's 100,000 miles on the car!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome to the board... enjoy this place... seems like something is very wrong with your door.... never heard of that issue before.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Perhaps a prior accident or body work? Do you know the full history of the car?

SRG.GT

work hard--play hard
Mar 12, 2009
Hudson, Wi.
How about lose (missing?) hinge bolts? It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon for the pins to have worn out ...even if the car's serial # is "1" and there's 100,000 miles on the car!

The hinge seems to be tight and fastened securely, there is just some movement within the housing where the hinge comes together. I purchased this car last summer from a friend. He is a pretty big guy. I assumed that the door was used as a lift assist in getting out of the car:frown.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
how many miles on the car, any body work? I have this on my car I tried replacing the pins and that did not solve the problem, so after I replaced the pins then I just gently lifted on the door to move is back up. this works well for a while then the door settles and requires a gentle lift from time to time, when the gt guys come down next time Im going to have them look at it.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
As a new owner, you may reposition the door when you hit it a few times with your head. :rofl

Get the GT guys to look at it.:thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The hinge seems to be tight and fastened securely, there is just some movement within the housing where the hinge comes together. I purchased this car last summer from a friend. He is a pretty big guy. I assumed that the door was used as a lift assist in getting out of the car:frown.

Check to see if the TWO TEETH that the top of the door sandwich with. There is some adjustment there and I have seen those make the door move up and down before....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
To Shelby's point....

is the slop experienced when the door closes to the teeth at top? or...

the damn thing just moves up and down 1/2 inch when it's in wide open mode?

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Bushings

My thoughts are if there is "slop" in the hinge assembly around the pins it could be that the bushings are missing because someone had the door off and didn't reassemble it correctly. I know I always think the worst. Or if there is no "slop" and the door has dropped a little it is probably because the door was used as a handle to assist getting in and out of the car and it tweaked the door where the hinge bolts to it. If that is the case then the door just needs to be repositioned a little to fit properly again. Then the stricker and the "batwing", as we call it, will need to be readjusted again. I like to think of adjusting doors on a GT an art form.
For example if you are replacing a door assembly on any GT you can not set gaps and margins until the door is completly built. If you do this before all of the glass, regualtor, etc is installed it will be a little high and you will have to readjust everything once the correct weight is on the door. In development they actually had to put extra strength in the chassis a-pillar to compensate for the total weight of the door because some of the prototypes doors were sagging.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Does this guy know his stuff or what

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does this guy know his stuff or what

:rofl:rofl:rofl Ya think?!

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
The term "Been there - built that" comes to mind. :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Go Rich GO!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Rich you could just place a floor jack under the door and bend it back:eek

All this tech talk is just to show off your talents:lol

SRG.GT

work hard--play hard
Mar 12, 2009
Hudson, Wi.
how many miles on the car, any body work? I have this on my car I tried replacing the pins and that did not solve the problem, so after I replaced the pins then I just gently lifted on the door to move is back up. this works well for a while then the door settles and requires a gentle lift from time to time, when the gt guys come down next time Im going to have them look at it.

12000 miles. No body work. Sounds like the same problem as your door. I just lift a little as I close the door to keep from rubbing on the top right corner of door frame (receiving) as I close it.

SRG.GT

work hard--play hard
Mar 12, 2009
Hudson, Wi.
Check to see if the TWO TEETH that the top of the door sandwich with. There is some adjustment there and I have seen those make the door move up and down before....

As long as I lift the door slightly when I close it, The teeth mesh with the door correctly.

SRG.GT

work hard--play hard
Mar 12, 2009
Hudson, Wi.
To Shelby's point....

is the slop experienced when the door closes to the teeth at top? or...

the damn thing just moves up and down 1/2 inch when it's in wide open mode?

When the door is open in any position, you can lift on the end of the door and feel that the door has dropped just enough to cause this problem.

SRG.GT

work hard--play hard
Mar 12, 2009
Hudson, Wi.
My thoughts are if there is "slop" in the hinge assembly around the pins it could be that the bushings are missing because someone had the door off and didn't reassemble it correctly. I know I always think the worst. Or if there is no "slop" and the door has dropped a little it is probably because the door was used as a handle to assist getting in and out of the car and it tweaked the door where the hinge bolts to it. If that is the case then the door just needs to be repositioned a little to fit properly again. Then the stricker and the "batwing", as we call it, will need to be readjusted again. I like to think of adjusting doors on a GT an art form.
For example if you are replacing a door assembly on any GT you can not set gaps and margins until the door is completly built. If you do this before all of the glass, regualtor, etc is installed it will be a little high and you will have to readjust everything once the correct weight is on the door. In development they actually had to put extra strength in the chassis a-pillar to compensate for the total weight of the door because some of the prototypes doors were sagging.

When adjusting the door, is the only adjustment up/down, left/right or can the hinge actually be tipped to correct my problem
I will look closer at the hinge assembly when I tinker w/her this weekend.(gunna change the oil):thumbsup
Thank you for all the feed back.