Draining Gas

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I want to pull the gas out of one of my GT's.

The simplest means would be threading a tube down the gas cap and pulling it out....

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Yes. That's exactly how you do it. It's described in the manual. I use 3/8" nylon 6 tubing. PVC and even PE tubing is soft and drags on the flapper pulling out. A $20 drill driven pump does it no problem. But do read the manual.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
The capless flapper valve is a rather delicate piece and caused a number of owners to replace the assembly when a gas-tight seat sealing the system was compromised and the car ECU throws an evap CEL.

I believe there is an easier way than pushing a tube down the fill neck and siphoning the gas out. Before doing this I would at least check with Rich, Dennis or Kendall as I am sure they have run into the same situation with servicing other cars.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I admit to having been unsuccessful in trying to put a tube down the throat of a GT - despite having tried. If someone has done this successfully, I'd love to know the tubing diameter and any tricks.

I know Bill had a techniques of disconnecting the fuel line and shunting the fuel relays to get the to pump the fuel out. I wasn't comfortable enough to try this.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Why not disconnect the fuel line at the engine (adding a line to a container) and use the fuel pumps to pump it out?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Another Bill here...

I have a ton of respect for Kendall - and if he cant make the tube work - there is no way I can.

Though I'm a systems guy - and generally have enough understanding of things to be dangerous - I know enough to know that a tube down the filler in the man cave is do-able. Disconnecting a fuel line - and running the fuel pump - is a bit beyond what I should be doing...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Why not disconnect the fuel line at the engine (adding a line to a container) and use the fuel pumps to pump it out?

Ralphie and Kendall, I believe this is similar to what Rich and Dennis have found works best.
But again I will let the experts chime in.

I myself would not want to insert anything in the fill tube which might upset or mislocate the flapper valve requiring replacement. Just my thoughts...

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
At the Texas Mile a couple of years ago we needed to drain the fuel and replace it with racing fuel. Our tuner emailed us a program for the SCT tuner which ran the fuel pump only, we disconnected the fuel line at the engine then ran the program until we were satisfied that the gas tank and fuel lines were completely empty. After pouring in the new fuel we ran the program again until the pump was primed and the lines were full of fresh racing fuel, effortless, clean, and a lot safer than putting a hose in the fuel tank door.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I agree with Ralphie. Best way to do it. Be very careful, it is gasoline after all!

Mike

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I agree with Ralphie. Best way to do it. Be very careful, it is gasoline after all!

Mike

Keep a liquid rated fire extinguisher nearby (halon is best) and watch out for static discharges! My cousin almost burned his house down changing a fuel filter when the synthetic blanket protecting the fender made a spark!