Does Bumper Delete have the same exit hole as with bumper on?

SexyFGT

GT Owner
Mar 28, 2019
Denver, CO
Can I buy a used exhaust made for OEM bumper and just hack off the end to fit my bumper delete?
Does Bumper Delete have the same exit hole as with bumper on?

I currently have sitting in my garage the FORD GT SWEET ASS BUMPER DELETE PACKAGE
as can be seen here. https://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/ford-gt-sweet-ass-bumper-delete-package

I am looking at some used exhausts, but most are for those that still have their bumpers on.

Can I buy an exhaust made for OEM bumper and just hack off the end to fit my bumper delete? and slap on some exhaust tips.?

Thank You.
Burton Humphreys
2006 Ford GT - TIm's car just purchased.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome to the forum (your 1st post).

The answer is yes, the pipes exit in the same location. The length is the only difference.

SexyFGT

GT Owner
Mar 28, 2019
Denver, CO
Yes, my very first post.
Thank you.

What did I win?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Welcome to the forum (your 1st post).

The answer is yes, the pipes exit in the same location. The length is the only difference.

Technically correct. The pipes exit at the same place - but "cutting them off" typically is NOT an option. This issue is that if you mark the "bumpered exhaust" at the location that you would like to make the cut, you will find that the pipes are still bending at the location that you would like to make the cut. As such, you would get an unsightly oblong opening. If you cut them AFTER the finish of the bend, then you would get a "normal" round cut - but the pipes would still be awkwardly long.

IMO, there's not an aesthetically pleasing solution possible. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we have seen and worked on cars that have an RBD kit and still have the "long" bumpered car exhaust. I guess it may look a little retro - but not my cup of tea. YMMV

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
By contrast, if a Borla / Ford performance muffler is in use, Borla made 2 different length tips for each application. Most X and H pipes are also made for each application.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Welcome SexyFGT to the best forum in the world!

Ed

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I’m running that bumper delete kit with the Bob Ida exhaust. Left tips long for a retro look. The black two hole exhaust bezel had to be trimmed a bit.
42A84BBC-97A0-4C60-80E1-AB0714367BB3.jpeg

Reactions: digman1

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I’m running that bumper delete kit with the Bob Ida exhaust. Left tips long for a retro look. The black two hole exhaust bezel had to be trimmed a bit.
View attachment 57465
Nice ass Doc !

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Go retro!BD060436-958C-4827-8B2C-A02A41DAB277.jpeg

Reactions: Ed Sims and soroush

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
If I'm not mistaken or misunderstanding, Classic Design Concepts (the maker of the sweet ass bumper delete kit) makes their own shortened tips that attach to the OEM or Borla mufflers that are the correct length. I just bought a pair. They are $200 each so $400 total.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

SexyFGT

GT Owner
Mar 28, 2019
Denver, CO
Technically correct. The pipes exit at the same place - but "cutting them off" typically is NOT an option. This issue is that if you mark the "bumpered exhaust" at the location that you would like to make the cut, you will find that the pipes are still bending at the location that you would like to make the cut. As such, you would get an unsightly oblong opening. If you cut them AFTER the finish of the bend, then you would get a "normal" round cut - but the pipes would still be awkwardly long.

IMO, there's not an aesthetically pleasing solution possible. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we have seen and worked on cars that have an RBD kit and still have the "long" bumpered car exhaust. I guess it may look a little retro - but not my cup of tea. YMMV
Thanks the info. I purchased a used exhaust and we will see how my chopping skills turn out.

By contrast, if a Borla / Ford performance muffler is in use, Borla made 2 different length tips for each application. Most X and H pipes are also made for each application.
I am Mr. Impatient and most places I called told me 3-4 week wait.

Welcome SexyFGT to the best forum in the world!

Ed

Thank You Ed. Nice to meet you and others here in the forum. Best forum for the best car....makes sense.

View attachment 57465

Good looking car, I like the retro look

That looks mean.

If I'm not mistaken or misunderstanding, Classic Design Concepts (the maker of the sweet ass bumper delete kit) makes their own shortened tips that attach to the OEM or Borla mufflers that are the correct length. I just bought a pair. They are $200 each so $400 total.

Thanks for the info. I will have a look.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Half right ;) The OEM tips are not removable. The tips that CDC sells will, however, work with the Ford Racing/Borla exhaust as those tips are removable. So this is the only exhaust that can be used with the Bumper (as provided) or with an RBD kit - with the optional CDC tips.

Reactions: GTMD

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I have the stock muffler with CDC RBD. I bought the car like that. The installer cut off the stock exit pipes below the muffler before the bend then added a set of tips. The added tips look like the ones that CDC has. The stock muffler is very close to the composite CDC panel. I have pictures from the prior owner that show heat damage on the panel that needed to be repaired. The tips also melted the outer/rear plastic exhaust bezel. So now running w/o a bezel, which actually looks fine.
I decided to install the Heffner pipe. Purchased it from Kendall at CoolTech, with a few other of his fine parts. Kendall is GREAT to work with. The stock pipe is well insulated, but still caused problems with the CDC panel. The Heffner pipe is a bare pipe. Not sure it is overall cooler than the insulated stock muffler. I will be wrapping the Heffner pipe. I am not happy with the CDC RBD using the stock muffler. Go with a Heffner they are built for the RBD, check with Kendall. Hey, look at the pipe at the Heffner website. That is my actuall pipe, I took those pictures at my home for Heffner. Kinda cool seeing my pictures on the Heffner website.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
BTW. On the Heffner, the short pipe connecting the large two pipes is a cross-over pipe. The longer pipe with the Heffner name tag must be for brace only, since it does not function as a cross-over.

SexyFGT

GT Owner
Mar 28, 2019
Denver, CO
I have the stock muffler with CDC RBD. I bought the car like that. The installer cut off the stock exit pipes below the muffler before the bend then added a set of tips. The added tips look like the ones that CDC has. The stock muffler is very close to the composite CDC panel. I have pictures from the prior owner that show heat damage on the panel that needed to be repaired. The tips also melted the outer/rear plastic exhaust bezel. So now running w/o a bezel, which actually looks fine.
I decided to install the Heffner pipe. Purchased it from Kendall at CoolTech, with a few other of his fine parts. Kendall is GREAT to work with. The stock pipe is well insulated, but still caused problems with the CDC panel. The Heffner pipe is a bare pipe. Not sure it is overall cooler than the insulated stock muffler. I will be wrapping the Heffner pipe. I am not happy with the CDC RBD using the stock muffler. Go with a Heffner they are built for the RBD, check with Kendall. Hey, look at the pipe at the Heffner website. That is my actuall pipe, I took those pictures at my home for Heffner. Kinda cool seeing my pictures on the Heffner website.

Thanks for the info.

I have also ordered some header / exhaust pipe wrap, and some adhesive heat shield sheet to apply to the back of the bumper delete. Hopefully this will discourage any melting.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
If I switch back to the stock muffler, I was thinking of maybe fabricating a sheetmetal heat shield between the muffler and panel. There must be a way to fab up a mount for the heat shield, maybe with the use of long hose clamps around the muffler. The time to do that is when everything is off, not after you wish you had. This wpuld be in addition to your stuff.

SexyFGT

GT Owner
Mar 28, 2019
Denver, CO
Just an update for those interested.

I installed the bumper delete and pulled that heavy exhaust by myself.....NEVER again, without some help. I was able to pull out the old exhaust without removing the clamshell.....YAY....

I cut the aftermarket exhaust that was made to be used with a bumper and it came out perfect. I cut slightly less than flush with the exhaust exits in the bumper delete, but following the same angle and lines of the bumper delete.....Luv it....and it sounds soooooo much better than the stock exhaust.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Pictures! Or it didn't happen. :)

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Yeah, give us some pics. You mentioned installing an "aftermarket exhaust", does that mean the muffler unit? What aftermarket exhaust and/or muffler did you go with?
I plan to change my exhaust/muffler this winter. Would like to know what you did and see pics.
Thanks for the update.

SexyFGT

GT Owner
Mar 28, 2019
Denver, CO
Pictures huh? I hear ya.