Does anyone have a clue what criteria was used to choose GT applicants ?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
I can understand how some billionaires, friends of Ford family, media owners got 1st crack.

What I don't understand is how existing GT owners were overlooked. I have 2 GTs & a Pantera and I'm still deferred.

I also own a racing team which I thought would be a plus.

Would be nice to know how applicants are chosen.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Lots of insight & discussion on this topic in a couple of other threads you may want to read. I'm sorry you received a deferral.

Ed

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Billion dollar question.

Not much cars available, worldwide Distribution and those new Ford guys mentioned by you make it hard to please everyone for the first two years of the production.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Billion dollar question.

Not much cars available, worldwide Distribution and those new Ford guys mentioned by you make it hard to please everyone for the first two years of the production.

First 3 years are now spoken for with those on the priority wait list leaving 250 cars in the 4th year (2020-2021?) for the ~5750 of us on the Deferred List. Still some hope but those are very long odds for some very deserving original and current GT owners.

Last edited:

Extreem Exotics

GT Owner
Dec 13, 2013
Dallas Texas
One person posted on their social media page that Ferrari Race Team is his number 1 fan. He got one!
He owns Ferrari's and 1 GT.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I've thought about this a lot. Even after assigning values to the application criteria and geographic distribution considerations, there had to be many cases that were "luck of the draw."
No applicant should feel "unworthy..."
My $.02

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I don't think we will ever know the method they used but with so few cars they were bound to disappoint some people.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
I think we can draw some conclusions from the posts here over the recent weeks that ford product loyalty wasn’t weighted as high as we were hoping, certainly not at the top of the list. And that makes sense when you consider the corporate strategy for wanting to maximize its visibility to the public, not necessarily reward enthusiasts who may have a collection in their garage or who don't fraternize with their cars much. As an original GT owner with forty years of hot rodding, tracking, and showing Fords, and also a deferred applicant, I can’t say I’m happy about that, but I understand their positioning given the number of cars available.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I didn't apply but I sure don't quite understand how the new owners were picked. A customer of mine owns 2 original GTs and purchases a minimum of 70 new Ford trucks every year for his company so money/loyalty don't seem to be the only factor.

I guess it's like what will happen Wednesday morning after the election in November. 50% of the country will be happy while the other 50% will be royally pissed off. of course the NGT percentages are not even close, I get that. jmo

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think we can draw some conclusions from the posts here over the recent weeks that ford product loyalty wasn’t weighted as high as we were hoping, certainly not at the top of the list. And that makes sense when you consider the corporate strategy for wanting to maximize its visibility to the public, not necessarily reward enthusiasts who may have a collection in their garage or who don't fraternize with their cars much. As an original GT owner with forty years of hot rodding, tracking, and showing Fords, and also a deferred applicant, I can’t say I’m happy about that, but I understand their positioning given the number of cars available.

70 percent of the cars went to current ford GT owners, and as mentioned here before being on the deferred list is pretty much as good as getting one! I would imagine when all said and done that more than 90 percent of the allocations would go to people that were loyal ford fans(current Gt owners or alike). I would call that weighing very heavily towards loyal ford fans.

Last edited:

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Tough decisions I am sure. I was waitlisted. My father worked for Ford for over 40 years, my company purchases 6-12 new Fords every year or two and I am the current and original owner of a Heritage Ford GT. I have my competition license and I have tracked a Pantera and a 2008 FR500S which I own. I have one of the thirty-six 1965 GT 350 competition ("R model") Shelby Mustangs which I had a professional driver race at the Monterey Historics in 2014; I have shown it and others in MCA and SAAC national events over the last 4 years. I have a new F350, 2015 Anniversary Mustang, 2015 GT350, my wife's daily driver Navigator and several other historically important Fords [all 4 of the Galaxie lightweight models (1962-1964), two Boss 429's, two Boss 302's etc...]. I have attended the Track Attack events and the Ford 100 Anniversary event in 2012 with a 1969 Boss 302 in Dearborn. I don't tell you all this for any other reason than to let you know for how long and how involved I am with Ford products, promoting Ford products, educating the new generation on the historical significance of Ford, racing, Shelby, etc...and I was still waitlisted. I am very grateful that I will have the opportunity, but I am sure there are a few hundred candidates which were initially chosen with more impressive CV's. I am also sure there were more strategically chosen individuals as well. I completely understand the disappointment and frustration. I couldn't understand why I was waitlisted either. I truly hope the run is extended even more and the preference remains with loylal Ford GT owners...both original and non-original owners. I hope this helps some of you who are scratching your heads and I'd like to hear more stories and histories of the lucky individuals selected.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
70 percent of the cars went to current ford GT owners, and as mentioned here before being on the deferred list is pretty much as good as getting one! I would imagine when all said and done that more than 90 percent of the allocations would go to people that were loyal ford fans(current Gt owners or alike). I would call that weighing very heavily towards loyal ford fans.

I think the wait list is the ones who are very likely to get a NFGT, "deferred" folks get to try again in 2019.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think the wait list is the ones who are very likely to get a NFGT, "deferred" folks get to try again in 2019.

The wait list have already been confirmed, they have been given an allocation just like the early group

and I don't think Ford would go through the trouble of have a "deferred" group and a separate "denied" group. I would bet that the deferred group will get an allocation.

LGrasso

Jul 31, 2016
Sarasota, FL
The wait list have already been confirmed, they have been given an allocation just like the early group

and I don't think Ford would go through the trouble of have a "deferred" group and a separate "denied" group. I would bet that the deferred group will get an allocation.

It is my understanding that only 3 letters went out originally: accepted, wait list, & deferred. Deferred was the nice way to phrase denied. Those who received an acceptance letter and those on the wait list have been confirmed for cars. Ford said those who received the deferred letter don't need to reapply, they will still consider their applications if more cars become available or for the last year of production. There will also be another application period which will open for the last year of production.
Please correct me if I am wrong

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
From DBK on another thread. It sums it up. Wait listers already allocated cars. Deferred SOL but have a teeny tiny chance!!

Dave:
The entirety of year 3 production was filled by the waitlist. If you got the waitlist letter, it was you and 249 other people, and you should have subsequently received the acceptance letter for model year 3.

So, based on all the various factors, there will definitely be people who got the deferral letter that will wind up with cars in the third model year. Not to be morbid, but the grim reaper alone is going to eliminate a number of people over the next 36 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Wow Christain, that's an impressive Ford resume, makes me look like a Ford fan wannabe. You're one of about a half dozen I've seen posts from here that 1)totally confuses me as to what the selection criteria was, and 2) makes me realize that I've got a very little chance of getting an allocation. Best of luck. Since you're on the waitlist though it sounds like your notification should be eminent.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
712724b5689cd44464baa2acbdbf160a.jpg

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
712724b5689cd44464baa2acbdbf160a.jpg

:lol

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
7ca1c21dee4cd249454942c06fe71fe9.jpg

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I think Ford saw you were having too much fun with the race cars and the bubble girls. They didn't want to spoil the party... love ya William...:biggrin:biggrin