Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat: 707hp

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It seems strange that a new Viper is now only the fourth most powerful American car you can buy.

I think the Hellcat bodes well for the future Viper.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The owner of this 2009 Challenger SRT on our Key West Power Cruise makes some remarkable performance claims. High 9s on 93 octane. I haven't seen any timing slips. I hope the 2nd pic is readable. 1,000+ hp on pump gas.

5D3_7975.jpg

5D3_7974.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It seems strange that a new Viper is now only the fourth most powerful American car you can buy.

Doesn't it!

And yet I believe it is - or it's darned close to being - #1 in base sticker price. (E.g.: 'Not sure what "base" is on the new Z06/07s.)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The owner of this 2009 Challenger SRT on our Key West Power Cruise makes some remarkable performance claims. High 9s on 93 octane. I haven't seen any timing slips. I hope the 2nd pic is readable. 1,000+ hp on pump gas.

Possible. I do know that it is much less expensive to get there with a GT500.

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I just wrapped up taking this video of Ralph Gilles during his visit with us today during the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals. I let him know he could do a fun burnout prior to leaving, I'm glad he took us up on our offer!

[video=youtube_share;sMVl7FIZkz4]http://youtu.be/sMVl7FIZkz4?list=UUveOJhIrBwh8pJJOsg3VYxw[/video]

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sounds great

SFGT

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks Lance, that was very cool!

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Thanks Lance, that was very cool!

No sweat, it was fun to watch... It was funny, when Ralph first tried to do a burnout it bogged down and you could tell it was the traction control kicking in (over and over again). Finally he figured it out (we all do it!) and that's the video above... it sounded damn good in person! I really applaud him for doing the burnout, pretty neat to see him just do it versus your typical corporate team member saying they can't for blah... blah... Obviously the crowd loved it and I can assure you it'll sell more cars in the long run!

Life is good,

Lance

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Car guy in charge of new products=707 hp muscle cars and smokey burnouts

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Gilles is one cool dude. So...there's some sort of line lock too?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gilles is one cool dude. So...there's some sort of line lock too?

I'm not sure it has a line lock, but a burnout like that can easily be done without one. Tough on the rear brakes and rotors though. Not that I've ever done it of course. I read about it in a magazine.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
199 mph and base MSRP under $60k.

Are you getting the auto or the manual? :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Are you getting the auto or the manual? :biggrin

Neither. I'm waiting for the hybrid.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Almost tempts me...but probably not the best timing right now. I am anxious to see and hear one in person. Supposedly hitting the showroom floors next month, I see. Cool. Good for Dodge.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Neither. I'm waiting for the hybrid.

They are all hybrids. They burn gas and rubber!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
[video=youtube;MWMjR3r-nsI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMjR3r-nsI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"You NEVER give your car to a parking valet!"

"When we go out to eat, if there isn't a parking space out front, Honey, we don't eat here."

"You don't let anybody borrow this car."

More profound (and 100% accurate) words have never been spoken, brother Jay!

Pockets has been a staunch follower of those very principles since his teen years...and that was quite a while ago...

But, getting back to the car; it needs to call Nutrisystem. 4400 lbs is f-a-a-a-r too heavy. At the very least Mopar should make it possible to order the car minus all options if one wants to lighten it up...kinda like today's version of "radio and heater delete".

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ I really don't understand the weight. Jay talks about it like it's a big car. It is less than 3" longer than a Shelby GT500 coupe, which weighs ~600 lbs less, and could also use a diet.

I guess the LX platform (shared with 300, Charger, Magnum) is a porker.

Last edited:

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
^^^ I really don't understand the weight. Jay talks about it like it's a big car. It is less than 3" longer than a Shelby GT500 coupe, which weighs ~600 lbs less, and could also use a diet.

I guess the LX platform (shared with 300, Charger, Magnum) is a porker.
Agreed, imagine what the car would be like if it weighed the same as the GT 500 coupe at 3800 lbs which as you said is not a light weight.