Diff in Whp with turbo and super

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Can anyone guess or calculate the hp diffference to the wheels, if the "same" boost pressure were used with a turbo and super?

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
My GT made 775 rwhp and 715 rwtq with an average boost of just under 20 psi using a Whipple. It would be nice to have Torrie chime in here but I believe his twin turbo has made around 1100 rwhp but I am not sure what his boost levels were.

Steve

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Okay my brain hurts... why would the HP be different if the boost were the same? The tune maybe?

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
Okay my brain hurts... why would the HP be different if the boost were the same? The tune maybe?

Efficiency - This is the turbo's biggest advantage. The turbocharger is generally more economical to operate as it as it is driven primarily by potential energy in the exhaust gasses that would otherwise be lost out the exhaust, whereas a supercharger draws power from the crank, which can be used to turn the wheels. The turbocharger's impeller is also powered only under boost conditions, so there is less parasitic drag while the impeller is not spinning. The turbocharger, however, is not free of inefficiency as it does create additional exhaust backpressure and exhaust flow interruption.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
We generally see 21psi to get into the 1000 mark. Low boost 700whp is around 12psi if I remember correctly.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
We generally see 21psi to get into the 1000 mark. Low boost 700whp is around 12psi if I remember correctly.

Wow! That's a huge inefficiency. Stock blower 550hp @ 12 lbs boost v/s turbo 700hp @ 12lbs of boost.

Why do they still make blowers, it seems to me like it is trying to drag race with a Clydesdale under the hood.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Federal mandates / Internal politics / Cost / emmisions standards all come into play in regards why they chose the path they did among other things.

Wow! That's a huge inefficiency. Stock blower 550hp @ 12 lbs boost v/s turbo 700hp @ 12lbs of boost.

Why do they still make blowers, it seems to me like it is trying to drag race with a Clydesdale under the hood.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Low end Tq and driveability of the blower motor. I think I read they wanted a car that the average driver could lug and chug around town.

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
Low end Tq and driveability of the blower motor. I think I read they wanted a car that the average driver could lug and chug around town.

a smaller turbo will have little to no lag. Look at the benz TT v12's, they are making full torque before 2000rpm.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I believe that if a regular turbo comes on that quickly, it will be too small for the top end, not being able to flow enough air. I think that why all the buz about the twin scroll turbo now on the 997 TT.

The Gt with the Whipple is a torque monster. I don't think a turbo can come close in low to mid range, but I could be wrong.

If you take a look at the tq and hp numbers from Joe or Torrie, they don't begin to make big hp/tq until around 3500 rpm. The positive displacement Whipple makes giant tq from the get go.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I used to be a big blower fan then I rode in Joes car. How it altered my perception is part of film history now. Anyone that goes for a ride in either turbo car will understand the difference quite instantly. You can't really describe it without experiencing it first hand.

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
It's an intense smooth rush of power that doesn't stop as opposed (like an upper decker home run that sort of floated out of the park) to a twin screw feeling of being hit with a baseball bat swung by Barry Bonds, but it's just a triple off the wall.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Why hasn't anyone tried sequential turbos? Seems to me like this would solve the down low problem that some are worried about?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Why hasn't anyone tried sequential turbos? Seems to me like this would solve the down low problem that some are worried about?

Come on now James you have been in my car. There is no problem down low.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Come on now James you have been in my car. There is no problem down low.
Notice my comment........"that some are worried about". I'm not saying that I agree with someone saying the TTGT's don't have more than enough "get up and go" in the lower RPM ranges, just saying that line of thought exists. I have a feeling 1 test drive could change that however. :biggrin

Last edited:

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
From what I have seen with my own car I would say the turbo makes a honest 200 RWHP and 160 RWTQ more than the Whipple at 21lb of boost.That is assuming that Stage 6's Dyno is accurate on the turbo. I believe that Whipple's dyno is in my opinion it gives unrealistically high numbers. I believe there are some other important factors in witch car is actually faster. First as you gentlemen have already talked about the way the power comes on is quite different, I cant say witch way is better but they are absolutely different. Second the Whipple super heats the air charge causing the computer to pull timing thus making the car much less powerfull. Under hard driving conditions or when the ambient air temp is over 100 degrees the factory heat exchanger just can not possibly dissipate heat fast enough. The air temp after the blower reaches over 400 degrees in my car. The turbos do not seem to have nearly as much trouble with this. From what I understand there air temp after the turbo is never more than 200 degrees even in bad conditions. Personally if I had it to do over again there would be turbos on my car and I would be changing my screen name. Kurt

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
I'd stay stage6's dyno is accurate, because similar numbers have been produced with VMP Tuning's dyno, Unleashed Tunings, and Rollins Automotive, not just with the GT's, but with a few cobras and lightnings as well.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
From what I have seen with my own car I would I believe that Whipple's dyno is in my opinion it gives unrealistically high numbers.

Frankly Kurt, how can you say that? I have a before and after pull, seems in line with other company's results. Granted there has never been a race ran on a dyno, they occur on the track. As I have written the before and after pulls are interesting no more. I insisted that Whipple do the work themselves, because nobody knows their product better than the developers.

I met with the owners yesterday, and asked what is new and better, and was told a new case is being developed. I will be getting one in a couple of months.
Other than that, they are happy, and I am very happy.

In California the turbo can't pass smog, and oh by the way the Whipple is certified aftermarket part now.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I met with the owners yesterday, and asked what is new and better, and was told a new case is being developed. I will be getting one in a couple of months.

Bony, what are the differences (looks, performance, weight) between the current case and the new one that is coming out?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony, what are the differences (looks, performance, weight) between the current case and the new one that is coming out?

more bettah:lol
dial Dustin for more info, it's in development, and I will get one... just because:thumbsup :willy :thumbsup