Diff in Whp with turbo and super

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Frankly Kurt, how can you say that? I have a before and after pull, seems in line with other company's results.

Bony from the results I have had personally and after talking to Jason Heffner I do not believe there is any legitimate way Whipple can be making over 750RWHP on 19lb and pump gas. I am not calling them lyres just questioning the validity of there dyno. You could always go make a pass at the track noting crazy and just see where your mph is. I believe that would tell the tail. Kurt

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
In California the turbo can't pass smog said:
Bony how do they smog test in The Peoples Republic of California? In Arizona they just plug in to your ob2 if you have no codes or check check engine lights you pass. And you do not have to do that until your car is 5 years old.
With the SCT tuner a skilled tuner can turn off and codes or check lights.:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think Bony is claiming that the HP number is accurate, only that the before and after HP numbers represent a fairly accurate change of HP. As Bony posted before comparisions of dyno number from different dynos are not easily done.

From what I have heard for others installers, Whipple's numbers are not out of the range that others (forum sponsors) are seeing during the install. Bony's HP number are the highest of the lot, but he is running a custom pulley that is not listed on Whipple's web site and may be smaller than the 3.5".

A birdie told me it is closer to 3.33.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Frankly Kurt, how can you say that? I have a before and after pull, seems in line with other company's results.

Bony from the results I have had personally and after talking to Jason Heffner I do not believe there is any legitimate way Whipple can be making over 750RWHP on 19lb and pump gas. I am not calling them lyres just questioning the validity of there dyno. You could always go make a pass at the track noting crazy and just see where your mph is. I believe that would tell the tail. Kurt

Kurt, I don't want this thread to go sideways, I think you saw my Heffner tune and pulley with accufab before dyno pull and the after pull. Now, are you suggesting that the before pull was OFF as well, obviously you are?? Anyone who wants to see my before and after pulls send me an email at Bonyhadi@gmail.com. I would love to see Jason's comments on this thread.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I don't think Bony is claiming that the HP number is accurate, only that the before and after HP numbers represent a fairly accurate change of HP. As Bony posted before comparisions of dyno number from different dynos are not easily done.

From what I have heard for others installers, Whipple's numbers are not out of the range that others (forum sponsors) are seeing during the install. Bony's HP number are the highest of the lot, but he is running a custom pulley that is not listed on Whipple's web site and may be smaller than the 3.5".

A birdie told me it is closer to 3.33.

My biddie by the name of Dustin said it is a 20lb pulley with a conservative tune...:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
CA smog tests have a visual inspection. Any tech with 1/2 a brain will notice that it has turbos, but should have a supercharger and fail you regardless of the sniffer test. Also many of us in CA owners have gotten are cars out of state. It is not clear that the 6 year exemption applies to an out of state car, since they needed an initial smog inspection even though the cars are new on MSO with 50 state emissions.

No states in the union have more oppressive laws and regulations that the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

Last edited:

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Now, are you suggesting that the before pull was OFF as well, obviously you are?? Bony don't get me wrong I am in no way singling out your dyno numbers I think it is all of the Whipple dyno numbers high. Did they do your before number as well? High HP numbers sell product.

I would love to see Jason's comments on this thread.

I have noticed Jason's numbers have not been as high as Whipple's that is why I brought him in to this. I doubt it is a lack of tuning experience on Jason's part.

Bony please don't take this personally you will always be my favorite. Kurt

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I too sometimes get into arguments, I mean discussions, about whether to measure from the top of the shaft or the bottom.:lol

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
I have posted on this before here:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827&page=2

Looks like some of the data graphs got taken down for some reason, but here are the links...
Whipple 2.3L data
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/288172-post19.html
Turbo data
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/338855-post1.html

Look at the least-squares fit line at any particular boost pressure, and you'll see the difference. As dgussin said, efficiency is the reason the turbos produce more peak power for a given boost pressure.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have noticed Jason's numbers have not been as high as Whipple's that is why I brought him in to this. I doubt it is a lack of tuning experience on Jason's part.

Bony please don't take this personally you will always be my favorite. Kurt

Kurt, it is not personal, nor an argument. My question is, take a look at my before pull running Heffner's tune, which was less than others I have seen posted. Then look at my after pull with the Whipple.

My position is nobody knows more about the Whipple than the Whipples.
And for the record the only pulley and tune I recommend is Jason's.

Finally, I am 100% happy with my tune, the car runs great, as it did with Jason's tune. But, we agree, more is more bettah...:thumbsup :lol :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I too sometimes get into arguments, I mean discussions, about whether to measure from the top of the shaft or the bottom.:lol

I have a special ruler for that 6"=1' :banana :willy :eek :lol :lol :eek :willy :banana

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
...and oh by the way the Whipple is certified aftermarket part now.

BONY,

What does this mean? Has Ford certified this SC as an aftermarket part? Does installing it affect one's warrantee?

Thanks,

Rob

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BONY,

What does this mean? Has Ford certified this SC as an aftermarket part? Does installing it affect one's warrantee?

Thanks,

Rob

Opps, sorry, it has a CARB NUMBER for California smog. Nothing to do with Ford, I am sorry for not being clearer.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I have a special ruler for that 6"=1' :banana :willy :eek :lol :lol :eek :willy :banana

I think I have that same ruler at my house! :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think I have that same ruler at my house! :biggrin

as I tell her, there is a match for each of us other there... the fun is in the search... (great hijack if I say so myself:wink )

Attachments

• ron-chicks.jpg
    ron-chicks.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 98