Damaged 06 auction

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
This will make a great race car. Think I have an idea... Let the bidding begin.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I think the bid will go substantially higher than 100k...good luck!

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
I think the bid will go substantially higher than 100k...good luck!

I totally agree, and with a busted frame, busted trans, in need of nearly all belly pans, and a tweaked cabin, the engine oil gone from the hole in the oil pan and now that the bid is 105k its not gonna be a buy after 115k

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I think a $120-125k bid will get it. I am still interested up to that point.

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Mark, With a busted or bent frame, will it still be stable at over 250? I am sure you have the ability to fix or straighten the frame, just don't know if the car will be like new and straight if it's repaired? With the speeds you go, any imperfection would be of concern. I have seen many wrecked cars fixed, wounder how good the frame actually is. I guess it depen on how bent or broken it is.

Have always wondered about this.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
No doubt valid concerns. I am not really looking for another mike care but more of a roll on race car to go run those foreign made cars from 60-200mph... Kevin over at M2K has had a few ideas he would like to try out on the GT platform and if we are gonna race it, no need to start with a "perfect GT".... Who knows we will see how the next few days go, price may get to high for my taste.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Car went for $139,880 and I was NOT the winning bidder. I did see Andy on the bid several times under Performance Andy but someone with the name of Wyatt13 was the winning bidder. That could have been Andy with another screen name, who knows. Would be curious if someone on this site was the winning bidder or not. My plan was to make it a race car so hopefully whoever got it, plans to do something really cool but I am betting it will be put back together and sold with a tarnished title.

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
Car went for $139,880 and I was NOT the winning bidder. I did see Andy on the bid several times under Performance Andy but someone with the name of Wyatt13 was the winning bidder. That could have been Andy with another screen name, who knows. Would be curious if someone on this site was the winning bidder or not. My plan was to make it a race car so hopefully whoever got it, plans to do something really cool but I am betting it will be put back together and sold with a tarnished title.
I bid the car up to $138,000 which was stupid, this car wasn't worth a penny over 125k with the damages, I bid it so high because I was trying to teach the high bidder that he's in the wrong market. His total will be 142k with sales fee and he is from Canada so he will have to ship it as well, he is gonna be disappointed with his car.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I gotta ask the question...what if you had gotten stuck with your bid Andy? If you say it wasn't worth a penny over 125k, and you'd gotten stuck with it, what then?

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
I gotta ask the question...what if you had gotten stuck with your bid Andy? If you say it wasn't worth a penny over 125k, and you'd gotten stuck with it, what then?
I would have fixed it and drove it until the prices went up, some can afford to do that some cant, doesn't make sense the guy would pay 142k with 30k in repairs with 13k miles when the last 2 un wrecked clean title cars I bought with 14k miles I only paid 155k for one and 173k for the other.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Would love to see how it turns out or what it turns into.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I bid the car up to $138,000 which was stupid, this car wasn't worth a penny over 125k with the damages, I bid it so high because I was trying to teach the high bidder that he's in the wrong market. His total will be 142k with sales fee and he is from Canada so he will have to ship it as well, he is gonna be disappointed with his car.

I agree....IF he imports it he will also have to pay %5 at the border plus several grand for misc fees and to have it modified to register it in Canada. And then there is the Can vs US dollar adjustment.
This doesn't appear to be a deal but it may make sense to the new owner dependant on what his/her plans are...IMHO...

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Mark H, give me a call. Think I may have a car for you that I just heard about that would make a great car to use for your build...

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Thanks Shelby, will call ya in the morning.

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
I will never understand how the auction prices run so high on salvage vehicles. I was bidding on the Kirkham Cobra at 42,000. It went for 61,000 plus fees, shipping and tax will easily be 65,000. A quick search of that car for sale shows a Colorado seller "where there was a recent flood" asking 75,000. It is the same car.

Same with the Caterham except he was asking in the thirties and a search shows that number to be high. And it had water in the engine. And did not run.
Sometimes I think if I have trouble selling something it would be best to dent a fender and try to set it up as a damaged auction car. I think cranky ape takes consignments. I have seen this with salvaged aircraft as well.
There is always the bidder who has the parts lying around with nothing in them but certainly not on all of the auctions.

Once I was standing next to a friend who was bidding crazy numbers on surplus military trucks. I told him I could get them for him for 1/3 of what he was paying. He continued and bought 5 or 6 more. Of course he is broke right now.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A quick search of that car for sale shows a Colorado seller "where there was a recent flood" asking 75,000. It is the same car.

That is an understatement.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
..."where there was a recent flood"...

That is an understatement.

...possibly THEE understatement of 2013.

Last edited: