Curb Weight

Mastermind

Jan 13, 2015
What do you guys think the curb weight will be? Take an educated guess.

For reference, 650S Coupe is around 3200 lbs, 458 Speciale is "3075" lbs.

I don't know under current laws and restrictions a manufacture can still build a car with a curb weight under 2800 lbs, but I really hope Ford can pull this off, with functional aero design and 600+ hp, the car should be extremely capable and fun to drive.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Lightweighting is a key Ford strategy and this car is designed to showcase that. The power-to-weight ratio is superlative.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I'm gonna go with advertised sub 3000 but street weight at 3100ish

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
3100lb and 600hp = performance no different to current crop of supercars, 0-60 around 3 seconds, top speed around 205-210. I really hope they are sandbagging the horsepower, the 650s has same weight and 625 hp, and McLaren is about to release a lightweight version that will be 3000lb and 675hp. If Ford wants to be the the leader, they'll need to up their game between now and next year.

Still want one tho'!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is no way this car is 600 hp. I don't believe Ford has said it will be 600 hp. I think it was stated "at least 600 hp." Ford has played this game with all of the pre-production HP ratings on the latest performance engines. Count on at least 650 hp, but I think it will be 675+. That will shut people up about the 6 cylinders.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
There is no way this car is 600 hp. I don't believe Ford has said it will be 600 hp. I think it was stated "at least 600 hp." Ford has played this game with all of the pre-production HP ratings on the latest performance engines. Count on at least 650 hp, but I think it will be 675+. That will shut people up about the 6 cylinders.

I would agree, I'm going to say under 2800 wet and 700hp. Our Cayman GTS weighs in under 3000 with Monica's purse and that thing weighs a ton... :biggrin

Last edited:

UNDFTD

Jan 19, 2014
3000 lbs is the number I've been thinking.

Mastermind

Jan 13, 2015
The new GT screams about performance, technology innovation, and winning races, so it has to perform and be better than its competitors, not only in lap times, but also it needs to deliver the unforgettable driving experience, like its predecessors.

According to user "Whoopsy" on McLaren Life Forum, McLaren will unveil the lightweight version of the 650S, rumored name 675LT Coupe in Geneva. 500 units world wide, 220 lbs lighter with around 675 hp, stiffer suspension, revised aeros. Perhaps this is a more direct competitor to the new GT. Also in terms of performance, I think Ford shouldn't just aim to be better than the current competitors, there are new cars coming out in the very near future: GT3 RS (Geneva), the 458 successor (Geneva), mid-engined Porsche 960 (not certain yet, perhaps 2017-18), 650S replacement, McLaren P15 (price sits between the P1 and 650S, Honda V6 + hybrid, might be quicker than P1 around Nurburgring, 2017), mid-engined Corvette (201?). We are in a golden age of supercar, and I hope the new GT will truly stand out and be a memorable car.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The new GT screams about performance, technology innovation, and winning races, so it has to perform and be better than its competitors, not only in lap times, but also it needs to deliver the unforgettable driving experience, like its predecessors.

According to user "Whoopsy" on McLaren Life Forum, McLaren will unveil the lightweight version of the 650S, rumored name 675LT Coupe in Geneva. 500 units world wide, 220 lbs lighter with around 675 hp, stiffer suspension, revised aeros. Perhaps this is a more direct competitor to the new GT. Also in terms of performance, I think Ford shouldn't just aim to be better than the current competitors, there are new cars coming out in the very near future: GT3 RS (Geneva), the 458 successor (Geneva), mid-engined Porsche 960 (not certain yet, perhaps 2017-18), 650S replacement, McLaren P15 (price sits between the P1 and 650S, Honda V6 + hybrid, might be quicker than P1 around Nurburgring, 2017), mid-engined Corvette (201?). We are in a golden age of supercar, and I hope the new GT will truly stand out and be a memorable car.

If they really plan on racing at Le Mans with a hope of doing a 3-peat in 2016 or an all-American win in 2017 they SHALL be best in class of the same GTLM homologated cars. There can be no "just a middle of the road". The car has to be more reliable (or the won't finish) and faster (or they won't win).

So I assert the car will perform between the current class of cars and the La Ferrari, etc. The other guys aren't standing still and have had incremental improvements in the pipeline too. That would very likely raise the bar in 2016, and almost certainly in 2017.

This car will scream! Or it won't win.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That will shut people up about the 6 cylinders.

Not everyone...

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Lightweighting is a key Ford strategy and this car is designed to showcase that. The power-to-weight ratio is superlative.

I'll bet it is and am looking forward to seeing the numbers.

Man oh man do I love that front top down photo in your avatar!!

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
IMO, Ford will deliver a car that weighs 2xxx wet to counter the V6, both in performance and marketing. I believe that would be the lightest of the current crop and very exciting.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
IMO, Ford will deliver a car that weighs 2xxx wet to counter the V6, both in performance and marketing. I believe that would be the lightest of the current crop and very exciting.

Well well well, look who it is. :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Hey CHAD, The GT Guys are coming here if you need any service.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Just remember when our cars were in the pre production stage....
They were claiming a 500hp and that it would compete with Ferrari.
Well ,we know how all that turned out.
Speculate all you want (I guess thats part of the fun and excitement) But I think they the GT will blow us away as they have with the 1960’s Ford GT and the 05/06 Ford GT’s .Theres a real theme hear ....Blow everyone away!
They have a strong history to live up to.They won’t disappoint I’m sure

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Hey guys! I'm back and I'm pumped, this thing is AWESOME!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
This car will be 2700lbs wet!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
This car will be 2700lbs wet!

guess? If not give more details.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would guess < 2950 lbs wet.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
guess? If not give more details.

The race car probably will be in that range. Minimum GTE class weight = 1245Kg, which is 2745 lbs. My guess (and it is only that) will be that is the target weight of the race car (a little less so ballasting the corners gives the minimum). The street car will probably add things like radios and air bags to the street car weight.

if they can come in at the minimum the car would be near best in class for the competitor class vehicles if not #1.