Creaking in rear window or firewall?

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
HAs anyone else experienced ?? I turned 10K on my car and have noticed the creaks and rattles mounting...has anyone sent there car back to Saleen for a good going over? Will they do that ? The Ford dealers in Houston are hesitant to mess with such things...they said the could not diagnose the rear windo creak..at Champion Ford

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
KO, are you sure your passenger seat isn't tapping against something? Move it away form the firewall and rear window to see if noise stops.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Rear window

I have a similar "noise" -- a loud "crack" shortly after getting out on the road -- but only after the car has been sitting for a while. Maybe a week or two. Sometimes it's quite loud...and sounds like the glass may have cracked. No visable damage or loose glass? Can't figure it out.

Gordo.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I have a similar "noise" -- a loud "crack" shortly after getting out on the road -- but only after the car has been sitting for a while. Maybe a week or two. Sometimes it's quite loud...and sounds like the glass may have cracked. No visable damage or loose glass? Can't figure it out.

Gordo.

Hey, I have that too...when I accelerate pretty hard - a loud crack type of sound. I've often wondered if that might be the seat settling into position or something.

What is that?

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Crack

You might be right about the seat. I check next time I drive the car.

G.

Aug 25, 2006

G.

You need to be aware that it remains my understanding that more than one rear window has been lost as the result of seat contact.

Kendall aka Cooltech offered at one time some nice rubber bumpers that secure in the OEM holes to address this issue

Takes care

Shadowman

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Crack

G.

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston

G.

I will check mine...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Checked Mine - the seat is still there!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
ko, is yours an 05 or 06 ? the adjustment bumpers for the hood close are different. If you have an 05 the are 2 bolts with a rubber head, you can adjust up or down to make the squeek/ creek go away, if its 06 they were replaced with the tbird springs, with a rubber cap, cap could be gone... check that first and put a dab of white grease if its the 05 before you adjust, just to see if the creek goes away:thumbsup WAY OFF HERE BUT THE ONLY RATTLE I HAD WAS WHEN THE DOOR TRIMS FELL OFF, COULDNT FIND IT TILL IT HAPPENED, NOTHING SINCE, AGAIN IF YOUR IS 05 THE PANELS WERE HELD WITH DOUBLE SIDE TAPE, GET THE REPLACEMENTS WITH THE CLIPS AND ALL.:thumbsup HOPE THIS HELPS GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
ko, is yours an 05 or 06 ? the adjustment bumpers for the hood close are different. If you have an 05 the are 2 bolts with a rubber head, you can adjust up or down to make the squeek/ creek go away, if its 06 they were replaced with the tbird springs, with a rubber cap, cap could be gone... check that first and put a dab of white grease if its the 05 before you adjust, just to see if the creek goes away:thumbsup WAY OFF HERE BUT THE ONLY RATTLE I HAD WAS WHEN THE DOOR TRIMS FELL OFF, COULDNT FIND IT TILL IT HAPPENED, NOTHING SINCE, AGAIN IF YOUR IS 05 THE PANELS WERE HELD WITH DOUBLE SIDE TAPE, GET THE REPLACEMENTS WITH THE CLIPS AND ALL.:thumbsup HOPE THIS HELPS GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

Huuum the early style solid clamshell stop and associated noise; I had not even considered this however I do upgrade the gal's with the early style stops with the late spring style.

In addition to noise that you describe as the result of this design the early style tend not to be as user friendly when closing the clamshell.

The late spring setup allows for easier closing of the clamshell and also pops the clamshell up a bit with the release handle is pulled.

The OEM part number for the late piece is 6G7Z-6343128-A. The early style is simply a threaded stud captured in a welded in place nut however if you elect to use ther later pieces you will need to secure them with a small Nylok because the threaded shaft is smaller in diameter. Once in place they appear as if they were there from day one and work very nice.

All the best

Shadowman

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
You need to be aware that it remains my understanding that more than one rear window has been lost as the result of seat contact.

Kendall aka Cooltech offered at one time some nice rubber bumpers that secure in the OEM holes to address this issue

Takes care

Shadowman

Shadowman, I have Kendall's rubber bumpers and then recently replaced the bumpers with Wally's competition harness bars. In both cases, the seats don't make contact with the window and the occasional cracking persists before and after.

Thanks though.

Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman, I have Kendall's rubber bumpers and then recently replaced the bumpers with Wally's competition harness bars. In both cases, the seats don't make contact with the window and the occasional cracking persists before and after.

Thanks though.

Thank you

Now I do not what style hardware your gal has however;

I am beginning to think that those gals with the early style aka solid clamshell stops are causing some of the creaking noise as was mentioned by "gtjoey" earlier in this thread.

I just had another gal dropped off and was immediately told of the awkward closing of the clamshell; meaning that if it is not slammed just right both side do not latch as such I will be installing the late style spring setup instead.

BTW I have adjusted the early style however it is a delicate balancing act because you need them to be low enough for the two bear claw style latches to fully engage and then when you do so the solid stops will not remain in full contact with the clamshell. This is because in order for the bear claw style latches to work properly the bar that is locked must go lower into the locking mechanism to allow it to lock and then the final resting position is slightly higher. With this being the case the benefit of the early style stops IMO is minimal at best. Then add to this the later spring style works wonderful when you pull the release handle as the clamshell pops up crisply.

Thank you again for your shared experience

Shadowman

Last edited:

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston

Thanks Joey...mine is an 05...will checck tomorrow...the creak souns lower in the firewall though....but my ears aren't as good as they were either...I have been married for almost 4 years now...

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
HAs anyone else experienced ?? I turned 10K on my car and have noticed the creaks and rattles mounting...has anyone sent there car back to Saleen for a good going over? Will they do that ? The Ford dealers in Houston are hesitant to mess with such things...they said the could not diagnose the rear windo creak..at Champion Ford

I may have the answer! My 11,000 mile yellow car had a similar creek when I drove over bumps especially. It was not present in my other cars. I found that it was related to the clamshell latch. I greased the bump stops and the hinges and VOILA! THE SQUEAK WAS GONE! Check it out, and grease those babies!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Great guys...:thumbsup thats why this forum is so great. The tbird replacements come with a total rubber boot, not only does the spring not rust due to the rubber boot, the cap cant fall off. Im leaving the originals on for posterity, but for real drivers the tbird ones do the trick with body adjustments, sag, break in spots ect. WE CAN ALL REALLY THANK JOHN P.!!! From FORD, Who when DBK and I set up Rally 1 , was gracious to take us for a full plant/assembly tour,:thumbsup AND WALK THROUGH AND EXAM A CORNER OF THE PLANT WHERE ALL THE PROTOTYPE/ BUCK CARS WERE!!!! THAT WAS THE BEST!:thumbsup GREAT STUFF :thumbsup gtjoey 1314 and still loving it baby!!!!