Clutch Change...

FordGT4fun

Hi all
i'm curious if someone else has had a clutch change with less than 25000miles.
Report your mileage.
thanks
Pierre

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you dig through the old threads here, starting out in third gear on several occasions will get you a new clutch. Many owners changed to the Stillen clutch when it came out. Many with upgraded whipples and twin turbos also change to handle the extra torque.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love my Stillen clutch. Better than the OEM one!

Ed

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Both the Stillen and SPEC clutches have a better feel and engagement than OEM from our experience. We use exclusively the SPEC clutches for the modified (HP) cars and have heard only good things about the Stillen clutch for OEM-like power levels. One nice feature of the SPEC clutch is that they have 4-5 clutches for the GT - you choose the one that matches the TQ capability of the car from mild to wild.

We've done numerous clutch installs and if you need any help/guidance give me a shout. There's a few tips that we can share to make the install easier.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I have 800+RWHP & the Stillen clutch is working great. I haven't' tried the SPEC clutch but it sounds like it would be a good choice also.

Ed

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have 800+RWHP

Is that an estimated or measured figure? I only ask because I don't think we've seen the dyno curves for a "cam'd" GT here on the Forum (someone correct me if I am wrong). No doubt that you have the best idle in all of GT land, but it would be really interesting to see how the cams effect mid-range and high-end HP and TQ. Please consider to post these results if possible.

Aug 25, 2006
Measured; in fact on several different brand dynos

Ed has had his gal on the dyno for both testing and as a participant at general car events and the numbers of approximately 800 RWHP have resulted every time.

As for the power band; the cams affects the lowest RPM levels however once she is into her mid range through the higher RPMs she pulls like a freight train resulting in only smiles.

And yes; she sounds “Bad to D/A Bone”

Now back to the topic of this thread; I have installed many of the AP Racing clutches as offered by Stillen and they are a wonderful OEM replacement as well as a clutch very capable of handling the higher horsepower gals. For example Ed's has gone in excess of 25K mikes with his and it shows less that 50% wear.

Takes care

Shadowman

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Thanks for the testimonial Bill. As it has been mentioned, our stage 1 street clutch has been used in everything from showroom stock cars to high horsepower twin turbo cars. From what I've heard Mr. Sims knows how to hustle a car around a track so the fact that he is so happy with the performance of his clutch definitely makes me happy! I have provided clutches to Discovery Automotive, The GT Guys, Heffner Performance, American Racing Technology, and many many more, including companies that utilize the Ford GT transaxle in kit cars. AP Racing only rates the clutch to around 660 lb./ft torque however I have never had a customer complain about over powering the Stage 1 clutch. Same goes for the Stage 2 clutch but that is more of a race oriented system. While it would be my personal choice in a GT, it is too aggressive for the average owner.

In regards to the OP's question. We have replaced clutches in cars with 1,000 miles (usually cooked after a hard, accidental, third gear start) to cars with over 50,000 miles (I'm sure you can all guess who that is!) 25,000 miles on a stock clutch is probably pretty good.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As I said originally, we have only heard good things about the Stillen Clutch - on par with the typical high quality of Stillen products that we have experienced. The clutches that we have installed are in cars with "substantially" more torque than the 660 rating - hence our tendency to use clutches with specific specifications exceeding the use case. I would have NO hesitation of using a Stillen clutch in place of OEM where the owner was more than happy with OEM. In these scenarios - the Stillen always gets well deserved high marks.

Since Ed's car has been dyno'd several times, any problem to share the results? Sorry to ask if they are considered confidential. As for "pulling like a freight train", I have no doubts, but this same statement has been used numerous times to describe even a stock GT. I hope that you agree that (pre-4.0L) Whipple'd cars running more than 800 RWHP are extremely rare. It seems that the community might like to see where the power is distributed and how.

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
Hi all
i'm curious if someone else has had a clutch change with less than 25000miles.
Report your mileage.
thanks
Pierre

20,000 miles, 925RWHP, 900 torque, 26lbs boost, 105 Sonoco fuel, stock clutch and no crankshaft issues. I drive the SHI* out of this car, what an amazing peice of machinery!!

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Same goes for the Stage 2 clutch but that is more of a race oriented system. While it would be my personal choice in a GT, it is too aggressive for the average owner.

This is the one we have in the Joyride GT - installed after a production assistant on Battle of the Supercars REPEATEDLY tried to get the car rolling in 3rd gear... it looked like a burn out contest.

I absolutely LOVE the stage 2 from Stillen. It feels like that's how it should have been from the factory!

ppr2803

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Manila, Philippines
Ford OEM versus Stillen/AP clutch. What is the "weight" and feel comparison? Thanks!