ClearPlex Windshield Film Review

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Manufacturer recommends this to keep it looking good and slick. IDK if it is like REJEX.

http://www.clearplexshield.com/product/clearx-hd-windshield-treatment-4oz/

I am happy with my Clearplex, only noticeable when looking for it, similar to any protective film assuming install is professional.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
well, I finally got around to having my Clearplex windshield film installed last week (that I bought at Rally 10 from Trent). I also had Suntek clear film installed on the front surfaces. The installer is a Suntek dealer, but not Clearplex. Nevertheless, his company has been doing film installs for 15 years, so I trust his experience. It took some effort to get it smoothed out, and he trimmed the edges some because he couldn't stretch it enough to get the left and right side edges completely smooth.

I have a few small bubbles under the film (actually water), about 1/4" in diameter, and I don't know if these will eventually dry out, or whether I or he should try to poke a very small hole in the bubbles to let the water out. Any advice from the brain trust?

Thanks in advance.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
One other question: I didn't get the Suntek installed on the headlights or fog lights. Any advice on what to use?

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Give it time.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Give it time.

Yep

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have the fogs and headlights filmed. Ironically, I too just had a full film done, and the clearplex finally put on also. Had a lot of bubbles too, hoping they dry out.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
It does dry down but it takes a while. Like 2 weeks for the windshield.

My film on the car looked pretty good from the get go.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Hello Pete

I was a bit more fortunate, I had no bubbles when my windshield was Clearplex'd.

Not sure how these could dry out without some contact to the atmosphere... Can you take it back to the installer and make them resolve the issue?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Joe, he said he did the best he could with it, and I trust him since he's been doing this a long time. As suggested by others, I'll let it sit for a couple more weeks to see if it eventually dries out. If not, I'll poke a very tiny hole in it to let the water out and squeegee it.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Give it some time. All films are porous and with evacuate water unlike air. These skins are very thick and require more time to evaporate the water than thinner material. Water bubbles will go away through the this process, air bubbles won't and would need to be popped to let the air out. This is why we use ir heaters at install - to speed up the process.

Cheers
Trent

well, I finally got around to having my Clearplex windshield film installed last week (that I bought at Rally 10 from Trent). I also had Suntek clear film installed on the front surfaces. The installer is a Suntek dealer, but not Clearplex. Nevertheless, his company has been doing film installs for 15 years, so I trust his experience. It took some effort to get it smoothed out, and he trimmed the edges some because he couldn't stretch it enough to get the left and right side edges completely smooth.

I have a few small bubbles under the film (actually water), about 1/4" in diameter, and I don't know if these will eventually dry out, or whether I or he should try to poke a very small hole in the bubbles to let the water out. Any advice from the brain trust?

Thanks in advance.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I used a hypodermic needle and sucked the soapy water out. Works very well and no waiting weeks for it to evaporate.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Four years later and the Clearplex is still on my GT. After the first total failure, I had a second one installed by an authorized Clearplex installer. It was okay. It was painful to watch the guy install it. Even I, who knows nothing, could tell what he was doing wrong, but (unusually) I kept my mouth shut and let him do his thing. He worked the pre-formed sheet too much, kept spraying slip solution under the pop-ups, so of course they wouldn't stick to the glass and overused the heat gun. Some distortion as a result, but it's okay and has saved the glass many times. I'd give it a 7 out of 10, with points deducted for distortion.

I wanted to get Clearplex on my Alfa 4C, but I could not find a local installer who would do it. The "authorized installer" who did my GT said "I'll do it but no guarantees." WTF?

So, last week I drove from the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic Coast and rendevoused with Stormcat and his installers at the Bat Cave. Stormcat cut a sheet of flat film off a roll and his guys went to work. I have to say it was such a pleasure to watch two guys who know what they are doing. After a week of curing the visibility is excellent. No distortion. I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10, with only naked glass getting a 10.

A big public shout-out to Stormcat and his guys for taking great care of a fellow forumite.

When I left the Bat Cave, Stormcat's guys were busily forming sheets to a new GT windshield. After this positive experience with my Alfa, I have to say that this is a must-do for the new GTs if you can find an *experienced* installer. PPF + Clearplex = full condom ftw.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
With just the right amount of heat on New GT windshield and not too much, working very carefully to stretch and fit!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Oh, thank you soooo much for your endorsement . Known this for years.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Stormcat rules!

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Great seeing all these threads... we installed immediately after buying our 05 and had a bubble issue around the edges. Had it replaced by a different installer! Muey Bueno!

On a side note bought wife a new Lexus and 2000 miles in already need a new window.... SMH

And I concur. Brian is the bomb!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Four years later and the Clearplex is still on my GT. After the first total failure, I had a second one installed by an authorized Clearplex installer. It was okay. It was painful to watch the guy install it. Even I, who knows nothing, could tell what he was doing wrong, but (unusually) I kept my mouth shut and let him do his thing. He worked the pre-formed sheet too much, kept spraying slip solution under the pop-ups, so of course they wouldn't stick to the glass and overused the heat gun. Some distortion as a result, but it's okay and has saved the glass many times. I'd give it a 7 out of 10, with points deducted for distortion.

I wanted to get Clearplex on my Alfa 4C, but I could not find a local installer who would do it. The "authorized installer" who did my GT said "I'll do it but no guarantees." WTF?

So, last week I drove from the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic Coast and rendevoused with Stormcat and his installers at the Bat Cave. Stormcat cut a sheet of flat film off a roll and his guys went to work. I have to say it was such a pleasure to watch two guys who know what they are doing. After a week of curing the visibility is excellent. No distortion. I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10, with only naked glass getting a 10.

A big public shout-out to Stormcat and his guys for taking great care of a fellow forumite.

When I left the Bat Cave, Stormcat's guys were busily forming sheets to a new GT windshield. After this positive experience with my Alfa, I have to say that this is a must-do for the new GTs if you can find an *experienced* installer. PPF + Clearplex = full condom ftw.

Gary, It was great to have you visit the Batcave! I'm pleased to hear you're happy with the results on your 4C..!! That's a cool machine! We had some good friends visit that week.. Mr Cantwell brought his new GT over to get one installed...

Here's a little follow-up information supplied directly from clearplex. I know dr. Frank says he uses toothpaste on him his but they don't recommend anything abrasive. Keep it clean and keep a coating of rejex on it and you'll be happy..!!

Attachments

• 2019-02-05 09.54.33.jpg
    2019-02-05 09.54.33.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2019-02-05 09.54.48.jpg
    2019-02-05 09.54.48.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 2019-01-29 14.27.33.jpg
    2019-01-29 14.27.33.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 82

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just what Rejex product are you talking about for cleaning the glass? Would it be Sparkle?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Just what Rejex product are you talking about for cleaning the glass? Would it be Sparkle?

Clearplex is selling this product "ClearX HD " which is " Rejex " in their label. It's like a wax treatment for the film. Not specifically designed as a cleaner but it will clean off road film. I would recommend rinsing off any clearplex with water prior to any type of cleaning or wax application to remove any dust. If you keep the film coated with this you would only need mild soap and water or just water to keep the film clean. Reapply as directed

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-05-12-19-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-02-05-12-19-45.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have ClearPlex on my 05 and my 18... never have had any issues... can not even tell it is there.