Clamshell Spring Stops/Openers

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Why not just replace with the 06 stops; or maybe I am missing something. I have had the originals without any issues.

Those fixed bump stops in the provided picture were replaced in early 2006 production in favor of the spring-style one. The spring style ones in conjunction with new-like gas struts will cause the clamshell to pop-up when released - providing access to the safety latches.

Reactions: Art138

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
My originals are still in the car. I think the secret to making the bump stops last is to drive the car often. 🤣

(Coming up on 70Kmi).

Reactions: GT@50

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Those fixed bump stops in the provided picture were replaced in early 2006 production in favor of the spring-style one. The spring style ones in conjunction with new-like gas struts will cause the clamshell to pop-up when released - providing access to the safety latches.
Are these still available from Ford? I have looked at the auction sites to no avail.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any tricks on how to adjust the spring style? I replaced my failing gas struts with the new and very much improved version but now my clamshell won't latch with out shutting much harder than I like or having to press it down with my body weight (don't want to dent the clamshell) after a failed latching.

Only on the driver's side BTW.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Seems odd that changing the lift struts would affect the latch alignment. However, you can unbolt the latch on the car and add thin shims under it to adjust the tension (with vernier accuracy) that you describe. You might mark the latch location prior to unbolting to assure proper alignment on re-install.
I don't slam mine shut. I gently close it and then firmly press on each side on the seam area to latch. With fine tuning latch adjustment, this works great.

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think I was lucky and the velocity the clamshell attained when I let go of it 12-15 inches above the latch was enough to get a perfect latching.

The only change I made were the struts. And I love those. But the clamshell shuts much slower with them installed.

I will probably just do the press to latch thing for now.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I've seen a lot of clamshell closing techniques - and obviously each owner is entitled to use their own method. Wen an owner is here in the shop - I always offer to let them close the clamshell but most of them ask how we do it.

I will typically close the clamshell to a height of about 8-10" and then standing on the driver's side I will but my right hand above the safety hook on the driver's side and will reach over and put my left hand ~over the passenger side safety hook area and I will give it a FIRM slam. Seems to work every time.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Camilo shows Jay Leno how to close the clamshell at 25:48 into the video

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Hah! Before I put the Cooltech spring struts on my clamshell, all I had to do was hold the clamshell about 18” up, and let it drop. Now I have to use nota4re’s “firm slam technique”
😁

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Camilo shows Jay Leno how to close the clamshell at 25:48 into the video

Yeah, I do it this way...

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Just replaced mine (05 style with the spring) with "brand new" ones from Ford. They both failed (crumbled) after the first drive.

Reactions: analogdesigner

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Edit - looks like I already had the newer version.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
For those that have the Hillman plastic caps do those work well? They scratch at all?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
One of the best mods I have in my car is the Gt guy clamshell lever which enables you to open it without having to go to the other side or reach across

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
For those that have the Hillman plastic caps do those work well? They scratch at all?

Mine have been on for 6 months, so far so good....there is no scratching (soft plastic).

Reactions: Kpgarage

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I moved this update from a different maybe incorrect thread.

So....I installed NEW FORD OEM 2006 spring openers 6G7Z-6343128-A on my 2005 GT this past winter. The rubber is already deteriorating, see pic. They seemed to be in great shape until a few heat cool cycles. When warm, the rubber is soft and covered in a greasy coating. When cool, it is like an old hard rubber. It is already cracking.
I went to Lowes and got a couple of options to replace the rubber. One is a rubber grommet, the other is a nylon hole plug, both fit very well. I think both of these were mentioned by others on the forum. See pics. I am trying the rubber grommet first, see how it goes. If it has problems, I will switch to the nylon hole plug.

Hey HighHP

Are the grommets holding up over time?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I installed the Lowes sourced Hillman rubber donut grommet three years ago as you noted. I just checked. The rubber is in super shape, nice and flexible - just like new.

Attachments

• 1680065093128.png
    1680065093128.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 29

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great. Last OEM piece disintegrated quickly.

Thanks!

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I am working on replacements for the plastic piece that breaks on every one. Should have something in the pipeline soon. Have several out on cars for testing. Stay tuned

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am working on replacements for the plastic piece that breaks on every one. Should have something in the pipeline soon. Have several out on cars for testing. Stay tuned

Where are you at on this?