chassis creaks and squeaks

bbfordgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 24, 2006
houston
my car has 20k miles and has never been on the track,but i drive it hard. It has an ECU flash and filter upgrade but nothing else. About 6 months ago I put Hoosier R6 slicks on the back.(not having the traction I wanted). I started noticing a creaking sound very near or involving the fire wall(not seats, doors, trim etc) on accleration from start or low speeds, then also when braking hard. I eliminated the clam shell as a source. I then took it in and had them retorque all the supports to the fire wall and pans underneath. This seemed to help a little for only a day or two but the noise recurred. Its not loud but definitely noticeable and drives me nuts......has any one else had this problem? What do I do? HELP bb

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Man, that could be a ton of different small items. There has been a know issue with the freon make noise as it moves thru the plumbing under the passenger footwell. It usually sounds like a loose fan shroud. How RPM can play a factor because of the compressor. Little squeaks from the back could be anywhere. Have you tried a little grease on the friction points regarding the clamshell? or looked from unusual contact wear along the clamshell edge?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
my car has 20k miles and has never been on the track,but i drive it hard. It has an ECU flash and filter upgrade but nothing else. About 6 months ago I put Hoosier R6 slicks on the back.(not having the traction I wanted). I started noticing a creaking sound very near or involving the fire wall(not seats, doors, trim etc) on accleration from start or low speeds, then also when braking hard. I eliminated the clam shell as a source. I then took it in and had them retorque all the supports to the fire wall and pans underneath. This seemed to help a little for only a day or two but the noise recurred. Its not loud but definitely noticeable and drives me nuts......has any one else had this problem? What do I do? HELP bb

Try putting a good rubber protectant on all of the door seals and the clam seal. I wipe them down with a good tire silcone .. That may do it.. It's worked for me.. I do get a few creeks from the clam shell. They got worse when I put on some new gas struts. They seem to push it around until it settles in..

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I had same, for 2yrs!!!

It was the air filter surround/box. Unless its perfectly seated and closed, it will emit high pitched creaks at only certain torsion twists and drive you nuts.

My SVT Tech found it and lubricated edges, and snapped it in place tight.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I had same, for 2yrs!!!

............ found it and lubricated edges, and snapped it in place tight.

K, thought that is what you do with et girlfriends .................

bbfordgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 24, 2006
houston
thanks for the thoughts...i have lubricated/padded the friction points on the clam shell and i checked the airbox...still noise is there. i removed and lubricated the 4 stablizing bar attachment points....still noise is there.....had them call my vin in and check with ford....they said possibly could be the rear stabilizing bar rubber grommets(?sp) ...has anyone had any experience with this?....thanx bb

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
The time I had an odd "crunch" on any acceleration or decceleration ended up as a bit of debris between the engine belly pans and the transaxle housing. It doesn't take much in there to cause this.

Pete S.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I had a squeek once so i just fixed it with some headers and flowmasters. :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The creaks and squeaks seem to go away if you shoot guns a lot without any hearing protection.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Try putting a good rubber protectant on all of the door seals and the clam seal. I wipe them down with a good tire silcone .. That may do it.. It's worked for me.. I do get a few creeks from the clam shell. They got worse when I put on some new gas struts. They seem to push it around until it settles in..

x2. You would be surprised how much noise dry seals make when the chassis flexes. In any event, it is a good maintainence tip.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
My GT squeaks and creeks under normal driving conditions. Open the windows so the exhaust gets louder and just enjoy that! My Viper makes all kinds of noise...so I installed headers and a much louder exhaust. Now, I hear no more noise at all!!!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
My GT squeaks and creeks under normal driving conditions. Open the windows so the exhaust gets louder and just enjoy that! My Viper makes all kinds of noise...so I installed headers and a much louder exhaust. Now, I hear no more noise at all!!!

I don't even have to open the windows :)

bbfordgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 24, 2006
houston
do appreciate the tips will give follow up if i find the noise...if not full throttle with open windows!!!!!!! thanx bb

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would be interested in what you discover. My OCD kicks in high gear on rattles and such and I like to eliminate as many as possible.

Please keep us posted.

panterasteve

GT Owner
May 23, 2011
england
guys i had bad creak moving from stop sounded like bulkhead was loose but having done a service recently and pulled all the rear pans when i put them back i copper grease every screw and back of pans and put them back,
guess what noise has gone now ,if only i could do the same to the missus : )

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I know the sound well. It's a fairly loud "metalic crack" usually on acceleration. ( does not happen regularly). I will try pantera steve's solution. Hell, if he owned Panteras as I did , he is adept at solving problems !

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
guys i had bad creak moving from stop sounded like bulkhead was loose but having done a service recently and pulled all the rear pans when i put them back i copper grease every screw and back of pans and put them back,guess what noise has gone now ,if only i could do the same to the missus : )

Just for the heck of it, it might be interesting to pull the pans & then go for the type of drive that causes the noise and see if it's gone before greasing everything...then attach one pan at a time & redrive just to find out which one(s) is (were) the culprit.

I know the sound well. It's a fairly loud "metalic crack" usually on acceleration. ( does not happen regularly). I will try pantera steve's solution. Hell, if he owned Panteras as I did , he is adept at solving problems !

Sooooooooo...how about a little info on that coupe in your avatar!!! A few PICS wouldn't hurt either! :banana

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I had a squeek once so i just fixed it with some headers and flowmasters. :lol
Lorenzo,
I like your fix the best!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
bb, You mentioned the R6 addition, are you associating the extra bite on the road from the tires with opening something up or loosening something?