change oil in ford gt 2005

faviogt

Jun 1, 2021
Hello Ford GT forum friends,
i am new in this!!!! someone can tell, i like to change the oil in my car, any ford dealer can do that? i have experience that Ford do not have parts for Ford GT 2005/2006, when they change the oil they need to change the filter also like other car? if they do, they have the part in stock????? or my car will ben the dealer 1 year to change the oil?
another question is if one day i need the front headlights or tail light, how I buy them, someone make them?????????? ford? or some aftermarket factory?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Most Ford dealers are capable but will most likely not have parts in stock. I would contact your dealer in advance and ask them if they have a GT certified tech and if your are comfortable using them, have them order the parts in advance.

Reactions: TF Stang

faviogt

Jun 1, 2021
Most Ford dealers are capable but will most likely not have parts in stock. I would contact your dealer in advance and ask them if they have a GT certified tech and if your are comfortable using them, have them order the parts in advance.
thank you for the info!!!!!!!!! favio

Reactions: Special K

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Hopefully, parts like headlight assemblies will be produced again.

Lots of models have aftermarket support, but they were produced in far greater numbers.

faviogt

Jun 1, 2021
Hopefully, parts like headlight assemblies will be produced again.

Lots of models have aftermarket support, but they were produced in far greater numbers.
thanks for the info my friend, Favio

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Favio & other GT Owners,

The GT uses a Mann HU925/4X filter. It is in stock in many, many places as the entire filter assembly is sourced from BMW. A word of caution. The oil plug in the large oil reservoir is often overtightened and/or works itself tight because of the dissimilar metals. The reservoir is made from a soft aluminum. We have seen MANY distorted oil reservoirs as a result of trying to loosen over-tightened drain bolts. Additionally, as the GT is most frequently on a 4-post lift when being serviced, this primary oil drain location is sometimes hard to get underneath. On virtually every GT that comes through the shop, we install a Fumoto valve on the aluminum reservoir so you never again have to thread on/off the plug. Instead, just release the lever and rotate it to drain the oil. For the two plugs on the oil pan, we replace those with magnetic tip plugs - just in case. We sell a "kit" on the website comprised of the correct Fumoto valve, a short length of transparent hose (that makes draining a breeze), a notched pinch clamp in case you want to leave it in place and a vinyl cap in case you don't. Also in the kit are two magnetic plugs for the oil pan.

Reactions: Natee and Iconic GT

faviogt

Jun 1, 2021
Favio & other GT Owners,

The GT uses a Mann HU925/4X filter. It is in stock in many, many places as the entire filter assembly is sourced from BMW. A word of caution. The oil plug in the large oil reservoir is often overtightened and/or works itself tight because of the dissimilar metals. The reservoir is made from a soft aluminum. We have seen MANY distorted oil reservoirs as a result of trying to loosen over-tightened drain bolts. Additionally, as the GT is most frequently on a 4-post lift when being serviced, this primary oil drain location is sometimes hard to get underneath. On virtually every GT that comes through the shop, we install a Fumoto valve on the aluminum reservoir so you never again have to thread on/off the plug. Instead, just release the lever and rotate it to drain the oil. For the two plugs on the oil pan, we replace those with magnetic tip plugs - just in case. We sell a "kit" on the website comprised of the correct Fumoto valve, a short length of transparent hose (that makes draining a breeze), a notched pinch clamp in case you want to leave it in place and a vinyl cap in case you don't. Also in the kit are two magnetic plugs for the oil pan.
thank you for this info, where is your shop located? and how much is to do all that you mention? please advice!!!, favio

faviogt

Jun 1, 2021
Favio & other GT Owners,

thanks for the info, where is your shop located, and how much is to do all that you mention? please advice!!!!!, favio

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey Favio, this is Kendall - we spoke yesterday. We are on opposite sides of this great nation!

faviogt

Jun 1, 2021
Hey Favio, this is Kendall - we spoke yesterday. We are on opposite sides of this great nation!
dear kendall, thank you for your kindness to respond to all my questions.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Ford dealer probably charges $ 30 - 40 for a filter.

Advance Auto or Autozone is around $ 11. If it's not listed under Ford, use BMW reference.

If you are removing pans for other reasons as well, adding oil change to the work is no big deal. For oil change alone, it's a lot of work for a simple job. Doing it once and installing Kendall's exterior drain kit might be a good bet. May also depend on what kind of lift you have or have access to.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I would recommend to change yourself. It’s really easy especially if you have the adapter for the reservoir. Get the Mann filter. There is a post with great details somewhere on here.

faviogt

Jun 1, 2021
Ford dealer probably charges $ 30 - 40 for a filter.

Advance Auto or Autozone is around $ 11. If it's not listed under Ford, use BMW reference.

If you are removing pans for other reasons as well, adding oil change to the work is no big deal. For oil change alone, it's a lot of work for a simple job. Doing it once and installing Kendall's exterior drain kit might be a good bet. May also depend on what kind of lift you have or have access to.
thanks my friend for the info, I got all in need from Kendall, he is a great guy

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Favio, be careful about "any Ford Dealer can change your oil." I had a bad experience with a "qualified Ford GT mechanic". Caught him syphoning the oil out of my dry sump tank because he had over filled it and didn't know what a dry sump was. He overfilled the tank by adding only 1.5 quarts and couldn't figure out why the manual said it takes 9.5 quarts. That's because he didn't remove all 3 bolts to drain the oil and only removed one bolt on the pan as is done for most other cars. Also, every time I call our local Ford dealers who are constantly getting new shop managers, I have to emphasize this is not a GT Mustang and almost always I get a blank look from them until I say it's a GT40 and not a Mustang. Also, the 05-06 FordGT maintenance manual says the engine needs to be primed after an oil change before starting the engine. You have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine for 20 seconds. The engine will not start unless you let up the gas pedal slightly. The "qualified mechanic" didn't know this procedure neither. I had to explain it all to him and then he went and looked it up.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
^ Scary. We have to be our own experts, except when the known GT pro's are working on our cars.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Yup, the really scary thing was when I heard him say, "Why does this always happen?" So how many FGTs got a 1.5 quart oil change with some of the new oil syphoned out? Guess he never thought to read the manual.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yup, the really scary thing was when I heard him say, "Why does this always happen?" So how many FGTs got a 1.5 quart oil change with some of the new oil syphoned out? Guess he never thought to read the manual.

Hopefully he had never worked on a GT and just wanted to sound like he had 🤞

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yikes. There should be a disbarment. Or "mechanics" malpractice on their record if they do a major screw up like that.

Send them to GT jail for 2 weeks so they can re-certify and learn what they should have learned the first time around.

At the minimum, a very stern scolding!

Reactions: GTMD

Justin

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Massachusetts
Local dealer messed up my oil change. They threw away the center piece in the filter housing and installed a new filter. They gave it back to me and my pressure kept going to zero after driving for a few minutes as the filter collapsed. The dealer tried to tell me it was a sending unit, a computer module…needed a new gauge… I eventually pulled it from the dealer and flat bedded it to a mechanic I know who specializes in GT’s and he figured it out in 10 minutes. It was like a $500 piece of plastic too! Anyway… i do it myself now…

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
What the hell? I can’t believe a how bad that is. Just insane.