May 12, 2021
Bangkok
see below pic:
Thank you, Sir.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I would caution you using the BMW cap and cage as purchased. You will be dumping pressurized oil into the crankcase.
See my post below.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I change the oil every 15 years whether it's needed or not too.

Brilliant, advice. I'm putting that quote on a shirt.

I ordered Kendalls oil drain kit months ago and months before that ordered a new oil pressure sending unit and they cant be found any place so back ordered till who knows when...

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
see below pic: as I remember the O ring closest the tip is not used.
Well, I just changed the oil/filter and I used the small O-ring closest to the tip. Is there any harm in doing so??

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I understand that one is for a BMW…in a past thread there was discussion that it could impact circular pressure around that o ring. Can’t remember the thread name. I do use the BMW cap with OEM cage. Saving the original cap.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I understand that one is for a BMW…in a past thread there was discussion that it could impact circular pressure around that o ring. Can’t remember the thread name. I do use the BMW cap with OEM cage. Saving the original cap.
Which BMW cap are you referring to? Not sure we're talking about the same thing here.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
This is exactly what came in the box.

1672709032098.png

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Yes that’s the same filter I use….you are good.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yes that’s the same filter I use….you are good.
But do you put that small O ring on the plastic cage?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
But do you put that small O ring on the plastic cage?
It's not an O ring in the pic. It's a gasket/crush washer

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
It's not an O ring in the pic. It's a gasket/crush washer
The one included with mine was definitely a rubber O-ring and the only place it could possibly fit was near the tip of the plastic cage. Just above the green line under the ridge where the plastic widens in @Art138 's pic. Regardless, do I need to take the filter out again and remove it? 1672712530097.png

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The one included with mine was definitely a rubber O-ring and the only place it could possibly fit was near the tip of the plastic cage. Just above the green line under the ridge where the plastic widens in @Art138 's pic. Regardless, do I need to take the filter out again and remove it? View attachment 67359

That isn't a green line. That is a green rubber o-ring, and that is where you should have installed your new one. Somebody correct me if I am wrong..

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
That isn't a green line. That is a green rubber o-ring, and that is where you should have installed your new one. Somebody correct me if I am wrong..
Yes, Clint. You're correct. My mistake. That is where I put the new O-ring. The confusion here though is whether or not it should be there at all? When I took out the old filter, it didn't have one.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Yes, Clint. You're correct. My mistake. That is where I put the new O-ring. The confusion here though is whether or not it should be there at all? When I took out the old filter, it didn't have one.

Hopefully Rich, Rich, Kendall, or some other expert will chime in soon, because I'd like to know the definitive answer as well! I believe that I've always changed the large black O-ring (by the wide, threaded part of the cap), and the smaller O-ring towards the end (either black or green, depending on the brand of filter you buy), but I can't recall with 100% certainty which groove to use (and I have no clue if it matters).

The good news is, if you find out you need to reposition it, it's a quick fix! And unless your oil pressure gauge was reading strangely, you can probably rest easy (while waiting for the experts to clear this up).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hopefully Rich, Rich, Kendall, or some other expert will chime in soon, because I'd like to know the definitive answer as well! I believe that I've always changed the large black O-ring (by the wide, threaded part of the cap), and the smaller O-ring towards the end (either black or green, depending on the brand of filter you buy), but I can't recall with 100% certainty which groove to use (and I have no clue if it matters).

The good news is, if you find out you need to reposition it, it's a quick fix! And unless your oil pressure gauge was reading strangely, you can probably rest easy (while waiting for the experts to clear this up).
The big O-ring is a no-brainer. But indeed that smaller O-ring (definitely a rubber O-ring, and not a crush washer, packaged in the plastic bag along with the larger one) is a head scratcher. The old filter I pulled out along with the plastic cage didn't have one which is why I'm questioning whether or not it should be installed at all. But it was there and there was only one place along the cage that it would fit.

But you're correct. Nothing weird about the oil pressure on the drive back home. Although it did take a good minute of priming the system before I got oil pressure though (as opposed to the 20 seconds or so everyone else seems to report).

Reactions: DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Right. For what it's worth, the service manual doesn't mention anything about o-rings other than the obvious large one, although regarding the small ones in question, it appears (as best I can tell from the image in the manual) that the distal groove is empty and the medial groove o-ring is present (where the green one is shown in that earlier photo).

thumbnail_IMG_3847.jpged help 2.jpged help 3.jpg

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
First off, I need that manual. Second, UGH! Why would they include the damn thing if you're not supposed to use it?? (I realize the filter has several vehicle applications, but still....Grrrrrr).

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I don't remember any small o rings. The size of the green one in pic won't do anything, it's too small. The manual, page 303-1-43 shows lid, o ring, filter, housing. No small o ring. No cage either though. Only a couple of the oil change primes I've done built pressure. Ford says crank until pressure or 20 seconds

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't remember any small o rings. The size of the green one in pic won't do anything, it's too small. The manual, page 303-1-43 shows lid, o ring, filter, housing. No small o ring. No cage either though. Only a couple of the oil change primes I've done built pressure. Ford says crank until pressure or 20 seconds
The 'cage' (at least what I'm referring to) is the cylindrical piece with the tip and green ring that is removable but locks into the cap

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
The 'cage' (at least what I'm referring to) is the cylindrical piece with the tip and green ring that is removable but locks into the cap
It definitely takes the cage lol.